nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
the whole world is perhaps masturbating in front of a mirror, holding up things in front of their faces.

Agent to thread with link to article about narcissism and polypharmokinetics.

BTW Agent that article you linked up yesterday was really good if you're reading this, which I don't blame you if you're not.

luka

so i guess im the winner, no one believes in evolution anymore and i have single-handedly toppled one of the towering pillars of modern science.
on a message board.

nomadthethird

That's Mr. Tea's bag.

You fuckers think I'm abusing you on here, but I'm really abusing myself, since I have been sitting on the floor to type this dumbness for about two hours now and I think I'm going to have a hunchback before I log off.

nomadthethird

But just so we all get one thing clear, I'm a lot of things on here--snide, bitchy, obnoxious, rude, whatever--but I'm not a liar. Anything I've told you about my life or what I do is true. Just ask Swears.

swears

preppy-kei
But just so we all get one thing clear, I'm a lot of things on here--snide, bitchy, obnoxious, rude, whatever--but I'm not a liar. Anything I've told you about my life or what I do is true. Just ask Swears.

I really don't know anything about you apart from your posts here, nomad...
Are you getting me mixed up with someone? Don't think you're a liar, tho.

nomadthethird

I really don't know anything about you apart from your posts here, nomad...
Are you getting me mixed up with someone? Don't think you're a liar, tho.

Was just kidding!

I think it's hilarious how people here act like there's something strange about someone having a personal life, though. As if simply having details of a personal life is strange in and of itself. I know some people would rather not post about theirs, and that's fine. But the incredulity, it always makes me wonder--do other people not have a personal life? Do they not have parents with a nationality? Or any medical history whatsoever? I can't figure out what it is that is especially strange about being a professional writer that makes it somehow suspicious. Lots of people on here are professional writers, aren't they?

swears

preppy-kei
I don't like to post my name or Facebook or whatever because I don't really want the people I work for or whatever reading about me doing ecstasy in the past or being a manic depressive, etc.. I haven't told anyone IRL about dissensus, it's nice to have a little place removed from everything else, imo. But if you're happy doing that, fine.

nomadthethird

I don't like to post my name or Facebook or whatever because I don't really want the people I work for or whatever reading about me doing ecstasy in the past or being a manic depressive, etc.. I haven't told anyone IRL about dissensus, it's nice to have a little place removed from everything else, imo. But if you're happy doing that, fine.

First, right now I am freelancing. So technically I don't work for any of those people anymore. And nobody at those places is spending time googling my name, and then poring over random message boards to figure out if it's really me who posted this or that-- that I know for sure. They are busy people with lives and better things to do. I am nowhere near special enough for them to care about that much.

I don't mind if people know I have a mood disorder that is genetic and that is not my fault and that is, at the moment, well-controlled by medication. Not a problem in my mind. American culture is very different about this, I've gathered, than British culture is, in a lot of ways. We don't see this as a shameful thing, anymore than it would be shameful if I had glaucoma. I'm proud of myself for how far I've come in it, honestly. I wouldn't hesitate to discuss this with my employers if I needed to at any time. We have anti-discrimination laws here to protect sick people from being unfairly terminated only on the basis of their condition.

As far as Dissensus being "removed from real life", my boyfriend used to read it, I don't know if he still does, but that's about it from my "real life"... even if it were removed from real life, I think that a lot of things I've learned about in life, I've learned in part because of the struggles I've had with certain things, and yeah, that's ok with me.

nomadthethird

And anybody who would not hire you because you experimented with ecstacy once?

I mean, if they ruled out everyone in the world who experimented with drugs at some point in their lives, there would be no one to hire in the world. That's just silly.

I would never post a long Hunter S Thompson story on my Facebook, because some employers search those (you can always put it on PRIVATE, though)...other than that, I don't think message boards are the sort of things employers are trolling.

swears

preppy-kei
And nobody at those places is spending time googling my name, and then poring over random message boards to figure out if it's really me who posted this or that-- that I know for sure. They are busy people with lives and better things to do. I am nowhere near special enough for them to care about that much.

I've worked with some very nosy people in the past... they really don't have anything better to do, haha. I know a girl at work who had all kinds of rumours spread about her, and a picture of her in a bikini on holiday from her myspace was sent round on people's phones, that's the the mentality sometimes, sad.

I don't mind if people know I have a mood disorder that is genetic and that is not my fault and that is, at the moment, well-controlled by medication. Not a problem in my mind. American culture is very different about this, I've gathered, than British culture is, in a lot of ways. We don't see this as a shameful thing, anymore than it would be shameful if I had glaucoma. I'm proud of myself for how far I've come in it, honestly. I wouldn't hesitate to discuss this with my employers if I needed to at any time. We have anti-discrimination laws here to protect sick people from being unfairly terminated only on the basis of their condition.

This is all very true, and we have similar laws in the UK, but there are people I work with who've called me weird just for being a bit quiet and not liking typically blokey stuff like lad mags and football. If they knew about my mental health issues they'd have a field day.

nomadthethird

Jeez that's terrible. If any of that happened over here there would be instant LAW SUITS galore.

Are you serious that someone took a picture and sent it around just to be mean?

I guess I was fortunate to work with people who were more focused on, err, the task at hand while at work...

swears

preppy-kei
And anybody who would not hire you because you experimented with ecstacy once?

I mean, if they ruled out everyone in the world who experimented with drugs at some point in their lives, there would be no one to hire in the world. That's just silly.

I would never post a long Hunter S Thompson story on my Facebook, because some employers search those (you can always put it on PRIVATE, though)...other than that, I don't think message boards are the sort of things employers are trolling.

The company I worked for dismissed two people for doing coke one weekend, I don't think I'd be sacked for doing ecstasy when I used to go out clubbing, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

nomadthethird

The company I worked for dismissed two people for doing coke one weekend, I don't think I'd be sacked for doing ecstasy when I used to go out clubbing, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

What?!??!

Did they have some kind of proof, or was this just conjecture?

It's definitely very different over here, the attitude.

swears

preppy-kei
Are you serious that someone took a picture and sent it around just to be mean?

They sent it round to perv at her, she's a good looking girl... she posted it on her myspace, nothing risqué, just her and a friend on the beach. Dumb, but that's what you're dealing with: nosey, bored office workers.

The coke thing was on a works night out, there were witnesses, and much talk of the company's reputation being damaged. I think they were asked to resign, kinda thing.

nomadthethird

It's funny, most of the girls at RU were on SSRIs and shit. They all talked openly about it. And their shrink appointments.

nomadthethird

They sent it round to perv at her, she's a good looking girl... she posted it on her myspace, nothing risqué, just her and a friend on the beach. Dumb, but that's what you're dealing with: nosey, bored office workers.

See this is so weird to me.

My professors used to have me and some of my friends over to their homes, some of them would do things they shouldn't have with us. I've been in similar professional situations. It's not a big deal over here.

I do understand keeping real friends and work friends separated, though--I try not to use Facebook for party-related photos or risque photos because I have lots of work people on it.