Music for Snow Days

I'm personally waiting for the widespread hipster rehabilitation of Goth, I mean, if it can happen with Doom Metal...

I think that's rather unlikely to happen, since it never really went away. Goth is in this weird state of not being mainstream in terms of chart success and media presence but far less underground than some niche metal subgenres. Every smalltown disco has a monthly goth night, it's about as attractive for hipsters as pub rock.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
yeh but really only the Banshees are goth out of those & they're probably the least "cool". Killing Joke = death disco a la PIL which is always cool & The Birthday Party has that noise rock/free jazz (avant cool) punk/tortured poet ting going on. even the Banshess really cos they're kind of like the Cure lite and even if the Cure is a little bit dad rock they're still like "oh we write melancholy love songs & upbeat melancholy songs" also always cool for artsy white folk.

uncool Goth being rehabilited, we're talking like Christian Death & London After Midnight & Sisters of Mercy. and more importantly the fashion, people who call themselves Cyber-Goths and look like the lovechildren of candy ravers and Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice. and I mean more power to em but that whole like is way too sincere to ever be "cool".

edit - oh sorry to get off topic

Would dispute that the Banshees are 'the Cure lite', but I take your general point: the bands I mentioned were at their peak whilst goth was still in the formation process as a scene so all had signicant non-goth aspects to their sound. Whereas later goth outfits tended to be more generic (meaning this in the non-perjorative sense here) and so less appealing to outsiders. Though again, I'm finding it hard to shed tears about this, as what I've heard of this stuff (and I admit, that's not been a great deal) just hasn't been very good, IMHO.

Thinking on, it occurs to me that later stuff like Dead can Dance and Cocteau Twins have gotten a degree of hipster approval, and they would generally be agreed to be a part of goth in the wide sense. But it's the same thing I guess - it's that 'wide sense' that allows the hipsters in.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Would dispute that the Banshees are 'the Cure lite

well not exactly but I meant in how they're perceived. plus I like the Banshees, not everything but certainly all the early singles are totally ace.

the bands I mentioned were at their peak whilst goth was still in the formation process...it occurs to me that later stuff like Dead can Dance and Cocteau Twins have gotten a degree of hipster approval, and they would generally be agreed to be a part of goth in the wide sense. But it's the same thing I guess - it's that 'wide sense' that allows the hipsters in.

as ever stuff is better in the -what do you call it- phase. it seems also like goth stripped out precisely all the avant and/or black pop influences that had made postpunk so interesting in the first place and replaced them with dull, plodding indie rock but with shite 80s production & twice the angst. good point about the Cocteaus - kind of like the good parts of goth but tasteful, minus all those embarrassing bits. My Bloody Valentine were goths too until a couple yrs before Isn't Anything.

zhao

there are no accidents
we just had a lurvly breakfast looking at snow falling outside with the first vashti bunyan album innit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A mate of mine who's massively into Sigur Ros talked me into buying one of their albums - the '()' one - oh dear that looks a bit like a fanny, doesn't it - anyway, it's kinda OK but I don't really listen to it. It is *very* snowy-sounding, though.

Also, the complete Joy Div back catalogue, if that's not too obvious?

zhao

there are no accidents
A mate of mine who's massively into Sigur Ros talked me into buying one of their albums - the '()' one - oh dear that looks a bit like a fanny, doesn't it - anyway, it's kinda OK but I don't really listen to it.

should go in middle brow thread

Client Eastwood

glacial slow moving sheets of sound, icebergs touching and rubbing up, being indoors with the warmth of bass frequencies.

Detroit Escalator Company - Black Buildings
Global Comm - 76-14
Fluxion - Vibrant Forms
John Beltram - Into the Fall

linebaugh

wont put this in winter warz because that seems like a thread for conveying coldness, but this is a nice by the fire place Christmas/new years eve tune