DJ Premierrrrr!!!!

RIP Guru...F**k Solaar.

Some of my favourite DJ Premier productions (i'd put in the Youtube clips if it wasn't blocked at work!)

Omitting Gangstarr:

Pitch Black - It's All Real
Royce da 59 - Boom!
Heather B - Steady Rockin
Screwball - F.A.Y.B.A.N.
Rass Kass - Golden Child
Rakim - New York
Reks - Say Goodnight
Dilated Peoples - Clockwork
Royce Da 59 - Friend
Crooklyn Dodgers RMX
Fat Joe - The Shit is Real
Group Home - Supastar
Group Home - The Legacy
Afu Ra - Equality

That's all I can think of for now. Premier got me into Hiphop, shame to hear his new stuff hasn't developed in anyway. The formula worked whilst it was groundbreaking, but every guy seeking 'authenticity' copied him. Be good to hear him work with live musicians or something...

stephenk

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

always liked this one, the xylophone/vibraphone whatever phone, nighttime vibes

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Heard a good mix by Mistajam on 1xtra the other day

Gang Starr — You Know My Steez
Gang Starr — Step Into The Arena
Gang Starr — Code Of The Streets
Gang Starr — The ? Remainz
Gang Starr — Mass Appeal
Gang Starr — Work
Gang Starr — Just To Get A Rep
Gang Starr — D.W.Y.C.K.
Gang Starr — Right Where You Stand (feat. Jedakiss)
Gang Starr — Skillz
Gang Starr — The Squeeze
Gang Starr — The Militia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s2rwj

luka

hard to earn is the best gangstarr album, then moment of truth. moment if truth has the best beats but its let down by guru cos hes starting to lose it by that point.

gumdrops

moment of truth is ok but overrated.
too many guests and too long.
plus yeah, guru was kinda falling off by that point.
few good tracks on there but imo the best tracks on the ownerz make it better than moment of truth.
best gangstarr albums are hard to earn, daily operation and step in the arena.
not sure id like jazmattazz if i heard it now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I thought 'The Ownerz' was pretty shit, was a massive disappointment to me after 'Moment of Truth'. I thought most of the beats were average and Guru was even worse than on 'Moment of Truth' (where he has at least some moments of greatness). What are the best tracks on 'The Ownerz'? I only really remember 'Dirty Habits', 'Playtawin' and 'Right Where U Stand' (and that's only cos of Kiss).

The thing about Premier is I think his newer beats are made in a different style to those 1998 style beats - less dramatic and emotive, more stripped down and loopy. Some of my friends really rate his post Moment of Truth beats but personally I just prefer that slightly more epic/chopped up style.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
http://www.djpremierblog.com/2010/04/21/official-statement-from-dj-premier-on-the-death-of-guru/

Also I have to shamefully admit that I've never listened to any of the pre-Moment of Truth albums. I've heard quite a few of the classic tunes off those albums but I really need to sort myself out and listen to the albums as a whole.

Was amazed to hear 'Suckas Need Bodyguards' recently - Guru was so good at that time, can really see why Moment of Truth was seen as him falling off.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's 'Daily Operation' for me any day of the week, the beats are so minimal, and 'Soliloquy of Chaos' is a masterpiece. I've been listening back to it, it's been ages since I've listened to any Premiere beats with the vocals.

Sad that there's some confusion over things, but people sometimes do just go temporarily insane when people die.

crackerjack

gumdrops

mistersloane otm.
daily op tracks like the place where we dwell, chaos, that album was just amazing.
then on hard to earn you had brainstorm, the planet, code of the streets....
arena to hard to earn is one of the best 3 album runs in hip hop.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Hard To Earn is the one for me

I only found out the other day that Arena wasn't their first album