the (digital) hardcore continuum - no, seriously

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

revolution action! hilarious. I love it when she screams right in the security guard's face and he just blanks it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Years ago I moved into this flat with a mate of mine and we decided, from the evidence of the odds'sods left behind by the previous tenants (there should be a collective term for these things, I think) that they were probably a couple of fairly air-headed young women - there was a book on dating and star signs, a Lonely Planet guide to Thailand and a solitary Bacardi Breezer. But bizarrely there was also a copy of Empire's Intelligence And Sacrifice, minus the CD case, which I still occasionally listen to. I love this track:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

which reminds me somehow of 'Now I Wanna Be Your Dog'.

Cool video, too. Alec E >> Trent R, easily.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

total destruction, the only solution!

ah, happy times...

rivetrenuck

Lately I’ve been listening to a ton of Alec Empire (& associates) & enjoying it rather immensely.

It quite surprised me how great a lot of both the DHR catalogue & Empire’s other solo work is – tbc he feel off hard around the turn of the millennium – we’re talking about say ’92-’97 here but man what a run! It surprised me how junglistic a lot of it is, especially like his records on Force Inc. & the early DHR stuff which are like straight up proper jungle but only half of jungle – it’s like somehow only the bad vibes made it over to Germany, just the pure darkest Darkside, none of the loved-up bliss to temper things out. Pure Thanatos (literally), no Eros. Which is surely an eventual dead end but damned if it didn’t produced some killer records along the way. I mean seriously his stuff ca. ’93 sounds like 2 or 3 yrs ahead of what even most of the classic UK jungle dons were doing at the time, tuff as hell bloodclart jungle tekno with Acardipane-style gloom & divebombing Cologne acid strewn over everything.

I was expecting a lot more silly shouty gabba-punk bizness a la ATR – there’s some of that too, Ec8or (ugh, that name – typing names with gratuitous numbers makes me feel stupid by association) tho their AK-78 12” is a KILLER on the Nasenbluten tip. I didn’t realize how almost single-handedly responsible Empire was (well, also Amen merchants of death a la Remarc & the whole Hellfish/Producer thing) for spawning breakcore via influencing Scud & whoever. Man, breakcore – a case of diminishing returns if ever there was one. Zone of Fruitless Intensifications & all that – most of the classic DHR stuff is hard as nails but it still has room to breathe, it’s not just mashed up nonsense for it’s own sake.

Also he released a whole string of ambient/techno LPs on Mille Plateaux which are all also supposedly totally awesome but I wouldn’t know cause I’ve never heard any of ‘em.

Anyway so I’m kind of bewildered. Or maybe just bemused. The whole “digital hardcore” (brilliantly stupid name btw) thing seems like a widely underrated chapter of electronic music history. I mean, do ppl write it off cos of ATR? I know I did – growing up I lumped ATR in with both the Chems/latter Prodigy (during that brief moment in the late 90s where it seemed like techno, if it got dumb & rawk-ed out enough, might actually breakthrough in the U.S.) & also like NIN/White Zombie – the vaguely goth/industrial kids were into all of it & from there it’s a slippery slope to Slipknot & Korn. It probably doesn’t help either that Empire, not too surprisingly tho rather ironically given his very strong & prominent anti-fa themes, inspires/ed the worst kind of fanatical fanboys who devoutly preach his greatness.

I mean he’s kind of a singular genius a la the Basic Channel blokes or Wiley – one of these guys who just spawns entire genres in their wake – but his legacy has some things going against it – the lack of black influences (pretty much excised by ’95 or so when things get much stompier), in fact the common string tying it all together – hardcore punk, gabba, acid tekno, the hardness of jungle minus the funk, industrial – is loud fast angry young white guy noise. Not exactly like to impress soulboy/curator types I reckon. Too smart for the kids too dumb for the intellectuals innit, all the commercial stuff too harsh & weird to sell but smoothed over enough to ruin his cred with all the obscurantists & underground noise merchants...

Plus did I mention he fall off HARD? Jesus wept...it’s like Rammstein mangling a cover of the worst Cure song ever. tho not as bad as The Mover being reduced to doing songs with Scooter I guess...

This is what i am interested in. I will try discogs again. but things seem to be very scattered in Discogs.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
sorry was meaning to get around to this I think I know what you're after I think. personally I can't stand ATR, tho I know they hold a place in the hearts of other Dissensus people. my Empire/DHR is essentially the only the part where jungle/junglist sensibility is prominent, so I guess keep that in mind when reading my recommendations:

FIM & Riot Beat 12"s
Bass Terror EP - his first really good record, proper jungle, really fast & hard for '93 too
Destroyer & Destroyer Part - both excellent

DHR 12"s
Digital Hardcore EP
Death EP
Cook EP (as DJ Mowgly) - full on (pretty great) ragga jungle

non-Empire stuff on DHR:

all the Christoph de Babalon records are amazing. like a world unto himself. his LP - my favorite DHR record easily - is basically GY!BE meets Remarc in the dead of the bleakest winter ever

both Sonic Subjunkies 12"s are total class

Ec8or if you're into Bloody Fist style gabba (personally I'd rather just listen to Nasenbluten when I'm in the mood for that kinda thing but that's just me)

speaking of Nasenbluten you may/may not want to check out them & other things on Bloody Fist, tho be forewarned that might only lead you further down the rabbit hole to Deatchant, Ambush and so on...not to mention Remarc, Bizzy B, etc if you're not already familiar

zhao

there are no accidents
i was seeing mr. empire on facebook every time i logged in for a long while. really nice guy... i would love to ask him how much of his bullshit does he really believe, but regardless of what he might say i'm afraid i know the answer already... since Carl Crack died he replaced him with another black dude for the ATR recent come back tours. "ACTIVATE" lol... what the fuck does that mean. Alec is smart, business/image/package smart... i yelled "ATR IS A PRODUCT" at a show in... 99? and Hanin said "what do you mean by that?" and handed me the mic. into which i said we are all products of capitalism and play a part in it, even right now. or something like that... funny he got all bitchy at that show (troubadour), stopped the proceedings for 30 minutes and was like "this is not just about getting drunk and rocking out... this is about more than that" LOL... but honestly it was refreshing, the politically charged content. "Deuschland Has Gotta Die". felt good. i used to be so much into all this stuff Force Inc. DHR Position Chrome, but now there is less than zero point to play any of it ever again. angry posh boys :rolleyes:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Just one more question. What about records from Force Inc?

that depends on what you mean. if you're only referring to Empire records on Force Inc then they're OK, it's essentially the same as his later stuff but not quite as fast/hard. or his take on ardkore/rave v. later being his take on jungle/gabba. I like the later stuff cos I like jungle way more than ardkore (my undying love for piano anthems aside) but that's me. if you mean Force Inc more generally then I dunno there's a ton of theoretically interesting stuff on there, Jammin Unit & Walker, like 4-5 of Wolfgang Voight's 8 million aliases, Biochip C etc but I feel like it'd prob be like DJax where you just gotta wade through so much crap to find the gems. the Nexus & Blowback 12" they put out is a great UK ardkore record (so are the N & B 12"s on F Records).

angry posh boys

yeah I dunno his background personally but I wouldn't be surprised, of course ATR was always the epitomy of silliness, Sex Pistols for techno, terrifically muddled politics, very much agit-pop, v. shallow, which if of course fine for pop music but you can't expect anyone to take it seriously as a political critique, I dunno they were a bit like a MIA yunno, with theirs was kindof a 90s vague antiauthoritarianism (i.e. fall of Berlin Wall up to Seattle WTO era) to her more pomo postcolonial thing anyway I'm diverging. what I meant to say was I dunno as you can all that in, Panacea sure that's like the German Ed Rush or something, but specifically there's no way you can reduce C de Babalon to angry posh boys, that dude was serious. everything else I'll give you tho.

rivetrenuck

Just listened to his Destroyer mixtape (4/2004) and it had the Brainbombs on it.

Hah. just thought i mention it, love brainbombs, despite their terrible lyrics their endless loops. something also tells me that their are a heavily racist bunch. or atleast make a joke about being a heavyly racist bunch. not sure which one is true, but i dig the sounds

version

Bit of synchronicity with this stuff popping up at the same time as LL and Hype Williams vids as one of the tunes in this thread samples Belly and another Mama Said Knock You Out.