MF Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

gumdrops

i used to have a good bootleg of the bb album, had some jacked up bass that wasnt there on the subverse cd but i liked that. i wonder how the elektra album would have sounded cos the official cds sound a bit rough (not necess in a bad way but hey).

rivet90210

M.I.C. - Run The Sphere
Doom's on it with a bunch of other mcs. It's just a single that i have heard -is there an album that goes with this? Has a kind of rugged battling for the mic before the take is over feel to it. Best thing I have heard Doom on. Doomsday was alright, ended up selling my og lp for a tonne though.... i didnt like it enough obviously.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ the Monster Island Czars stuff is a mixed bag

my favorite doom spinoff thing is the King Geedorah record
i rate it alongside Madvillain and the first Doom album

petergunn

plywood violin
M.I.C. - Run The Sphere
? Has a kind of rugged battling for the mic before the take is over feel to it..

saw M.I.C. open up for Doom in spring 2001 at Knitting Factory (IIRC) and that was excatly what they were like live... a bunch of dudes whilin out on stage...

gumdrops

essential doom imo -
madvillainy
operation doomsday
mmm food
king geedorah
born like this

the vv and dangerdoom stuff i can take or leave.

tom lea

Also well worth checking out is the first Viktor Vaughn album. The production is all by artists from SoundInk, which might not be to everyone's taste, but lyrically its best performance.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

maybe my fav doom song. amazing.

viktorvaughn

operation doomsday is up there with 36 chambers etc for me...top billin

viktorvaughn 1 also excellent (as you might expect from the username i guess!)

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
I'd rather masturbate than fuck with Vik Vaughn (volume 2, that is)

"run the sphere" isn't on the MIC album actually, one of those random standalone singles that came and went. european producer pays big bucks for his favourite emcees to jump on a track and nothing else comes of it... used to happen a fair bit at the height of the indie hip hop days. think that aforementioned second viktor vaughn came about in a similar way. doom is notorious for doing anything for anyone as long as they pay him.

haven't listened to the MIC album for years but i remember it having a shitload of classic doom beats from the early 'special herbs' volumes, a few of which got reused by ghostface et al on 'fishscale.'

atoga

i find the pop culture references / affected folksy stylings tiresome, & unfortunately that increasingly seems to be what he's about (i suspect this has something to do with adult swim / stoners but i'm not sure). on the other hand, he is a fantastic storyteller -- vik vaughn 1 is one of my favourite hip-hop albums ever, mainly for that reason.

his new one is ok, the bit with raekwon is engaging, otherwise no strong feelings really.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can't really get into MF Doom unless I'm into the beat he's using. 'Operation Doomsday' is by far my favourite album because I love the beats.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
yeh Doom's much better when he just raps in a lyrically lyrical fashion, he really is a great rapper when he wants to be - this I think I was the reason why Madvillainy was so great (also about the only Madlib I can stomach), all Doom had to do was rap. also I dunno man the novelty of flipping 70s/80s easy listening & schlock pop for beats kinda wears off too. tho tbf I stopped paying attention a couple yrs ago & have no intention of spending any time on his new material.

the KMD stuff is, as mentioned by others, worth checking out - I dunno about all of it, both LPs certainly have some filler but there are some great singles, "Plumskinnz" foremost among them I reckon. & "The Gas Face" is a stone cold classic of course, with a verse from a young Zev Love X (great video too).

for some reason this all makes me think of the Juggaknots & "Clear Blue Skies"...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
its interesting, and kind of nice i reckon, that mf doom is almost universally appreciated and loved but still brings out the inner critic in even his most ardent fans

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
^i've always held him and wiley in close comparison in that regard. in both cases, their obvious flaws are some of the things i find most endearing/fascinating about them as artists...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mos def on doom

this video made me feel warm inside

crackerjack

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mos def on doom

this video made me feel warm inside

"I'd bet a million dollars on Doom against Lil Wayne."
No doubt.