MF Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

CrowleyHead

im not so sure, it would certainly be an interesting clash!

I agree with this. However, both Doom & Wayne are suffering from dilluted verses.

Wayne's spread so thin over the music industry, he's got like... one good bar per week nowadays. Can you blame him? It seems NOBODY ELSE is getting called for Guest Spots/Remixes.

As for Doom, this new album is him at his most "Backpack". He's a little too hyper-lyrical, too wordplay obsessed, the songwriting isn't as dope as say "MM... Food" or "Madvillian". He's become too "Scientificul/Lyrical/Mythical/Bifficul!"

Yes I said Bifficul!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thanks to this thread I've dug out my MF Doom CDs (Vik Vaughn/Madvillain) and I don't know why I've never been that into them before. He's a real headphone rapper, isn't he, and even when you pay attention half the time its difficult to know what he's on about... But I loves it.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I agree with this. However, both Doom & Wayne are suffering from dilluted verses.

The fact that Lil Wayne, as demented and brilliant as he is, has the presence he does on a mainstream (global) level, allows him to take this medal easily in my eyes, regardless of who might be a slightly better rapper. Remember when he kissed Baby on the mouth? A watershed moment for the collective psyche.

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
madvillainy is one of my all time favourite albums

yoooou've been trippin' arooound the town, with some fancy clowwwn

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
ooooh yeaaaah, i had the new one on aaaall weekend... lovin it... side 2 is right up there with his best stuff IMO..

urbanite

subnoto
listened to the new album... can't say I like any of it very much like I remember liking Viktor Vaughn, King Gheedora or the Madvillainy albums... don't know something's just not the same... I guess the beats are still the most important thing for me, and there is none of that digital roughness of the first Vaudeville Villain on here... need to relisten to the older stuf now...

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ yeah i was actually pretty put off by all the "faggot" this and that on the record
it definitely sounds like latter day doom record
a marianne faithful inflection in his voice
it feels like well trod territory
none of the levity of Operation Doomsday
rote DOOM record------the guests steal the show IMO

maybe i've just listened to too many MF DOOM rekkids

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
That's just one track, I think - the pisstake of Batman & Robin's latent homosexuality. Can't say it's my favourite, but it's not like he's gone Buju.
it seems he is talking about something larger than batman/robin knob-slobbing but like, closeted homosexuals that taint the genepool and a gay aesthetic infiltrating hip hop:

Amazed at all these so-called wannabe players
Showing off they tip offs to all the free-gayers
It’s like a leotard fest
How it got started is any retard’s guess
Regardless, that’s they choice, no hate debate
Becomes a problem when they try an attempt to go straight
And raise the monster rate in the whole population
It’s starting to affect the super pimpin’ occupation

to give him an out, he does say "no hate debate"
🤷

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I remember Doom not turning up to Dedbeat many years ago (Not allowed to leave the US because of unpaid child support somebody told me). Was supposed to get free entry to his show when he did make it over if you kept the wristband. Obviously it never happened.

I am still slightly bitter about this.

I'm sure he'll be great if he does arrive though.

crackerjack

I remember Doom not turning up to Dedbeat many years ago (Not allowed to leave the US because of unpaid child support somebody told me). Was supposed to get free entry to his show when he did make it over if you kept the wristband. Obviously it never happened.

I am still slightly bitter about this.

I'm sure he'll be great if he does arrive though.

the problem up to now has been his lack of a passport (British-born, never registered as US cit, allegedly).

That's now sorted and this gig is as certain as anything gets with him, from what i hear

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Will he turn up though, or will it be a miming stand in like he's had over the last couple of years in the US? He justified that with some Dr Doom clone mythology bullshit, and apparently he still can't leave the US as his visa us fucked, something to do with being a UK national a la Slick Rick.

I'd like to see Doom though, but I'm not gonna pay 28 quid and travel to London for the privilege. Even if he does turn up, he doesn't strike me as the type to give a particularly lively or memorable show in the way that Ghostface or someone would.

EDIT: didn't see crackerjack's post, hopefully the passport situation is sorted and he does make it over in person.

crackerjack

I'd like to see Doom though, but I'm not gonna pay 28 quid and travel to London for the privilege. Even if he does turn up, he doesn't strike me as the type to give a particularly lively or memorable show in the way that Ghostface or someone would.

Ghostface's last London show is legend - he spent most of it trying to flog t-shirts.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Ghostface's last London show is legend - he spent most of it trying to flog t-shirts.

Aye, he did that at his last Glasgow show, but the first gig at the Sub Club was immense, most of Theodore Unit were there and it was ridiculous. Didn't bother with the comeback so as not to spoil the memories of the first, bloody glad I didn't go.