Books with life-changing qualities

mixed_biscuits

Och no, I was talking about the experienced type 2 faking it as a type 1, to type 2s - someone who might have crossed over a little bit and then come back again to give a field report.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Och no, I was talking about the experienced type 2 faking it as a type 1, to type 2s - someone who might have crossed over a little bit and then come back again to give a field report.

even worse. what I mean is - the assumption here is that 2s would like (even if they don't know it) to be 1s, right? or at least that being a 1 is superior & thus that a 2 with some 1 experience is in "in the kingdom of the blind a one-eyed man is king" territory. what I'm saying is, the whole 1 thing is vastly unappealing to a lot of people who, if anything, think themselves superior for not buying into it. all this # business gets confusing rather quickly, another reason to chuck it I reckon...

comelately

Wild Horses
also I'm curious - why does one party have to hold all the sexual power?

Just quickly - no reason whatsoever, vaguely attractive and well presented girls still have masses of sexual power in almost all situations anyway. The fugly thing was a massive exaggeration/generalisation and of course it depends what floats your boat. English 'Path 2' girls don't really do it for me, nor posh girls really. Maybe that will change. I think it's certainly true to say that a lot of the Path 2 girls will elope with Path 1 guys (particularly those with a bit of savvy in the other dimension) in addition to Path 2 guys.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Just quickly - no reason whatsoever, vaguely attractive and well presented girls still have masses of sexual power in almost all situations anyway. The fugly thing was a massive exaggeration/generalisation and of course it depends what floats your boat. English 'Path 2' girls don't really do it for me, nor posh girls really. Maybe that will change. I think it's certainly true to say that a lot of the Path 2 girls will elope with Path 1 guys (particularly those with a bit of savvy in the other dimension) in addition to Path 2 guys.

Just to lower the tone further, this is complete madness. :p

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just to lower the tone further, this is complete madness. :p

Quite.

nigella400_narrowweb__300x430,2.jpg

mixed_biscuits

even worse. what I mean is - the assumption here is that 2s would like (even if they don't know it) to be 1s, right? or at least that being a 1 is superior & thus that a 2 with some 1 experience is in "in the kingdom of the blind a one-eyed man is king" territory.

I guess a fair amount of type 2s are frustrated type 1s or, even if they're not, may still be secretly fascinated by what lies on the other side. Similarly, type 1s may feel empowered by urbane type 1s with type 2 tendencies, who can help them navigate the exotic subcultural nooks and crannies in which the type 2s are seen to dwell.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I guess a fair amount of type 2s are frustrated type 1s or, even if they're not, may still be secretly fascinated by what lies on the other side. Similarly, type 1s may feel empowered by urbane type 1s with type 2 tendencies, who can help them navigate the exotic subcultural nooks and crannies in which the type 2s are seen to dwell.

I think most people are secretly, or not secretly, fascinated with "what lies on the other side", whatever they perceive that to be, even (& perhaps especially) if they fear or despise it. you know, simultaneous attraction to/revulsion of the Other & so on. & I dunno man this business about types - look sure there's subcultures & cultural signifiers & how you live your life & so on - but really it only matters as much as you buy into it. I dunno if you've ever devoted your whole life to a subculture & then once you stepped out it of it all seemed like the most trivial, worthless shite?

swears

preppy-kei
I mean, it doesn't matter if you look like Jim Royle dressed up as Don Johnson, you're guaranteed success with beautiful young lingerie models.

woops

is not like other people

zhao

there are no accidents
"hey babe, lemme buy you a drink."

marlon brando used to just walk by tables at his hotel bar and put down his room key with a note saying like "2:15 AM", in front of women he fancied, without saying a word. i wonder if he even bothered to make eye contact.

zhao

there are no accidents
right - I'm not making the claim, which would be silly, that I personally have a better handle on what is cruel & manipulative vs. what's having game/being suave, & certainly there is a fair bit of subjectivity & gray area involved.

to me the gray area is very big. even drawing a line at objectification is difficult as when it comes to sex everyone objectifies.

This is actually what bothers me most - that all these man are so insecure about this stuff that they have to resort to such ludicrous means to feel comfortable talking to women.

but it's a social reality isn't it? created by the same mega convoluted self-image-desire fabrication machine which also created eating disorders; the same system which makes sex/intimacy an artificially rare commodity.

also, I dunno, I'll admit I've never really had this problem.

so increasingly your critique, which is valid, a lot of which i personally agree with, seems entirely subjective and arbitrary, and the moral high ground more and more shaky.

zhao

there are no accidents
but i think 'merit' in the way you seem to be using it is a bit of a twistable concept - the reasons why a woman decides to sleep with a man (and any of the other possible combinations) are numerous, and i don't think too many of them are simply based on an assessment of the other person's objective personal merits.

well put.

surely tho you can see how absurd it sounds when some dude comes along going off about men struggling to find themselves in a post-feminist world

:slanted: don't sound too outlandish to me.