bloggers

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's not the point. blogging well in 2003 didnt negate the need to do it ever again, there's new music being made and people should be covering it - having written well in 2003 doesnt fill the need for good timely independent music writing in 09.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think it's undeniable that the 2003/4 era (which includes Martin, gutterbreakz, kid shirt etc) was something special - if only because blogging was relatively new at that point and people had a lot to say which they weren't saying in other places (print media, forums etc).

But in many ways things are a lot better now, including Dissensus - stuff like grimeforum, kill your pet puppy, Heatwave, expletive undeleted, History Is Made At Night, Weareie - I have about 50 things in my rss reader! And places like FACT Magazine seem really open to people contributing to them (as is Woofah).

I think the point blackdown makes is right tho - there should be more people producing proper content. We should be making our own media, not just doing 140 characters or the odd sentence...

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Dubversion is someone I bullied into blogging I think and rightly so, but he's had a bit of a rough time recently. And I think he is naturally more of a "forum" person than a blogger, unfortunately.

luka

theres more information, but yeah, no good writing or thinking. no one that comes close to writing prose as well craner, or for that matter, that nutter marcello carlin. there were people then that could really write startlingly well. its easy to forget that k-punk had his moments of brilliance too.

Last edited:

luka

heronbone was mostly appalling, horribly gauche and shrill and clumsy but the good bits were some of the highlights of western civilization.

craner

Beast of Burden
By the way, Heronbone seems to have disappeared off the face of the net. Your archives are screwed.

Elijah

Butterz
Most blogs now just post mixes and youtube videos. Bit boring.

Would prefer more blogs from the insides of scenes rather then from the outside looking in. Quality reads from a few djs, label owners, promoters and artists would be a good addition. A few Grime MCs have em, but they are pretty boring as they just post up pictures from partys and premier their music videos... theres so much more they could do with them.

craner

Beast of Burden
Luke and I are, I suppose, talking about the blogs grouped around Reynolds, K-Punk and Woebot, honourable mentions going to Heronbone, Peking O, my mate Daria Brit's shortlived Bodyparts, Penman, Somedisco, Eden, Paul Meme, Jim Clarke, Cozen, Tim Finney, Mark Sinker and, if I may, Citta Violenta. Collectively, these were much more than just music blogs: K-Punk was building a whole ideological apparatus, Scott absorbed the whole world in his charming and idiosycratic manner, Cozen simply wanted to construct the perfect sentence, Bodyparts was a condensed psychosexual odyssey, Peking O and Heronbone were both unclassifiable and utterly beautiful, etc. They all had real, distinct identities worked out and extended very quickly, and it was very new and ad hoc, there was no 'blog form' to get trapped by: Penman, in particular, stretched the thing as far as it could go. Pillbox and Heronbone and Peking O are probably the perfect examples of the blog taken to its limit, the full potential realised. I haven't come across one single blog that makes me exited to check it every few hours since the peak of those few. I realise this thread is actually more about music blogs, but apart from Matt and Simon's, I never really read those.

Having said that, Chantelle Fiddy was absolutely great, she's still going though, right, in some form?

craner

Beast of Burden
I think, with this grouping, a collective exhaustion and dissatisfaction had kicked in by 2005, and the freedom and mania and experimentation got lost, and it just got...a bit boring, frankly.

craner

Beast of Burden
Quote:
Originally Posted by john eden
History Is Made At Night

is one of the best there's been imo

I'm sorry, I checked that one out, and it's really not. How can you say that? What makes it so good? I wasn't too impressed.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
gutterbreakz was enormous as well. i've often thought that many folks in the uk never quite understood his influence around the world. dubstep owes him money.

craner

Beast of Burden
That surprises me, but good on him. I think Luke is responsible for fully hipping Reynolds to the potential of grime. That has some large ramifications. Blackdown and Fiddy did a lot of work, too.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think. Actually I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to grime. I was still in mourning for 2-step at the time.