bloggers

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I miss a lot of those old blogs.

They were the only way my Bostonian ass knew what the hell was actually going on at the time. I knew exactly what to search for thanks to Chantelle Fiddy, Logan Sama's set lists, Prancehall, and the list goes on. I was the most efficient American searching for Grime/Dubstep via LimeWire on planet Earth thanks to many of the aforementioned.

One.

craner

Beast of Burden
Sorry, I forgot to mention Sufi! Unforgivable, as his blogs were visually the most innovative I've yet seen. Beautiful stuff.

craner

Beast of Burden
You're from Boston PD?? I thought you were from the Bronx! Addmitedly, most of my knowledge of Boston is derived from Cheers.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Lmao!

You're from Boston PD?? I thought you were from the Bronx! Addmitedly, most of my knowledge of Boston is derived from Cheers.

Yeah, I'm a Bostonian. Grew up 220 miles away from the birthplace of Hip Hop. We were just outside of their Tri State area but still got the newspapers and everything else secondhand. Grew up with a serious inferiority complex to New York that still pervades the city to this day. I fell in love with UK music back in the early 80's because of the Sheffield music scene and later UK Hip Hop. It never left me.

One.

craner

Beast of Burden
Good man, PD!

Thanks for posting the documetary, Nomos! Interesting to hear it again. Brought it all back.

I remember a Kodwo Eshun piece in The Wire being a big deal back in 04, too.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
One of my favourite bloggers is the elusive Chris Ryan and his innumerable pseudonyms:

http://gabesaidwereintomovements.blogspot.com
http://blueandcream.blogspot.com
http://chaunceybillups.blogspot.com

I think Don Rodriguez (blueandcream) is his latest output though and even that hasn't been updated since last October. Gabe Said..., his blog in the form of open letters to Jay-Z, is brilliant in the best kind of way. He makes music bloggers look like a bunch of music bloggers.

a thousand times yes...I found about him via FreeDarko, the (if I might) Dissensus of basketball, where he was worshipped as a kind of demigod on the exceedingly rare occasions he'd pop up & make a guest post...anyway he's just an absurdly talented writer I don't think it's the kind of thing that can really be duplicated...

actually speaking of great blogs, FreeDarko...tho I haven't actually kept up with it for a long time now...also Sick Boy I dunno how much of a basketball fan you are (tho, the Raptors, hey?) but the FD guys recently put out a book...

Brockolio

yo, whats good dissensus.

been a lurker for a while, figured I'd register finally.

anyways, I run a blog based out of the states: www.bassfaced.com

plan to get a lot more solid articles, interviews, and features out there soon as its been predominantly mixes thus far but you gotta start somewhere. I live in a small town in Washington state that really has nothing going on for it, so its tough to get an insiders perspective on the scene at times. I try to do what I can when we take trips to SF, Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver to go see some music, though.

always a big fan of reading words from joemuggs, thomas palermo, blackdown, markle, and all the other people passionate about this music whose breadth of knowledge and ability to describe it so well definitely inspired me and set the high-water mark that made me want to start putting myself out there and have something to strive towards.

still a youngin', but it's a project I'm passionate about, so check it out if you get a chance. definitely a lot more in the pipeline. know that it's not nearly legit as it should or could be, but its a launching point. will be launching a new design in the next couple months which should allow for some more substantial writing and material. anyways, appreciate the support and am completely willing to hear feedback on what you'd like to see more of. ideally within the year, there will be an interactive worldwide dubstep event calendar and a few other ideas I've been working on.

much respect.

-ben brockway
www.bassfaced.com

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Aaaah, hearing Luke on that doc was hilarious!!
i remember being surprised when i heard them speak for the first time - how mark, the ferocious cold rationalist, sounded so gentle while insect-empathizing, quality of light over the carpark-admiring luke sounded comparatively gruff.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, knowing these boys personally, Mark's an introspective sort, shy, yet fully self-confident, can rule a convsersation, to the point of shutting everyone else up, though its never unwelcome, whereas Luka is sometimes lacking confidence, and often on the defensive, but usually articulate and often brilliant, and very, very funny. They write like they talk, and think, which is why they were great bloggers.

nomos

Administrator
yeah both brilliant, just not how not how i expected them to sound

was the eshun piece ever posted online? i'm not sure i saw it.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the Eshun piece was interesting: Heronbone got a Pessoa analogy IIRC! (although he was very harsh on Jon Dale; Jon was doing either Astronauts Notepad or WoP at that time.)

i'd love to read it again, it's cool (dunno if it's anywhere, sorry).

Luka, tongue-in-cheek (one assumes!), slagged off my accent on his blog once.. ...it's a good thing i love him.

big up your chest, Brockolio.

i shouldn't single out people from Oliver's generous over-view earlier, but Cozen - in various incarnations - and Bodyparts were fucking amazing.

(i remember randomly throwing something out on somedisco once about Hearts of Midlothian football team having a great start to the Scottish soccer league season - fair few years ago this, mind you - and Cozen emailed me just about that. brilliant.)

Finney is always tremendous.

(no Cozen didn't email me about Hearts, Baal did. whoops. apologies.)

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i was wrong with the 'Pessoa analogy' (WG Sebald though) and i can't find the full text anywhere, but this is the best i can find: someone cherry-picking a few words (mostly about Luka!).

i lose at internets so this is a bit messy, but scroll down to the Oct 6th entry (about 85% of the way down the page at a guess).

link here.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
actually speaking of great blogs, FreeDarko...tho I haven't actually kept up with it for a long time now...also Sick Boy I dunno how much of a basketball fan you are (tho, the Raptors, hey?) but the FD guys recently put out a book...

The Raptors balls, they are on my TV right this moment getting their asses whipped by the Pacers.

Link to the book? I actually don't know about this FreeDarko bunch, I'm going to investigate right now.

(I do like the Raptors though, yeah)

Chris Ryan is nuts, it makes me happy you know about him, he is criminally under read. That post on the Blue and Cream blog where he reuses a Rimbaud poem as a commentary on football is genius.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Does anyone remember when Crumbling Loaf was pretending to study an art degree at Goldsmiths? And his crazy evangelist next door neighbour?

yeah that was absolutely, ineffably first-rate.

Loaf frequently has me on the floor in howls.

the neighbour stuff was just immense.

like, oh i don't know, an incredibly talented A.A. Gill or something.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The Raptors balls, they are on my TV right this moment getting their asses whipped by the Pacers.

well sorry then. I have to admit tp having barely payed any attention to the NBA this season - but for a minute there the Raptors were, if not good, then at least fun to watch - Bosh & Jose Calderon (you guys still have him?) & that 7 ft Italian dude firing 3s...

Link to the book? I actually don't know about this FreeDarko bunch, I'm going to investigate right now.

(I do like the Raptors though, yeah)

Chris Ryan is nuts, it makes me happy you know about him, he is criminally under read. That post on the Blue and Cream blog where he reuses a Rimbaud poem as a commentary on football is genius.

here's the book... I haven't actually read it so I can't, y'know, officially endorse it but I've no doubt it's entertaining...the FD guys all being quite clever & ultra basketball fanatics the way ppl around here are about music..also pretty nice dudes too, met a few of them for drinks a while back...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
that 7 ft Italian dude firing 3s...

Andrea Bargnani. The great white hope. I would start a basketball thread but I don't think there is enough people here with an interest to warrant one.

EDIT: Fucking hell this Free Darko blog is immense. Z-graphs?!
EDIT: Fuck music blogs, sports blogs all the way

Last edited: