well, do you?

• Total voters

martin

----
For all the talk of cats' "independence", they're not nearly as autonomous as Siberian Huskies. Left to their own devices, Huskies will make a break for it and never return to their owners.

Greyhounds are lethal attack dogs, they can tear a human child to pieces in seconds. Everyone thinks Afghan Hounds are all soft and fluffy, but they're just greyhounds in coats.

There's something really noble about German Shepherds, they're like the grizzled old geezers you used to get hanging around smokey pubs in London in the early 80s.

Have you ever seen a Kerry Blue? Fucking hell - it looks like an alien. Proper beardsman style.

I had a dream of a cat last night, snow white and the eyes, paw pads and the inner sides of the ears were a deep azure blue. Petting her was one of the most pleasant sensations I ever had in a dream.

I don't know, I really find the attention demanding personalities most dogs have to be really irritating.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Am I really the only one who voted Camelopard? Someone google Camelopard right now and immediately regret your vote.

zhao

there are no accidents
that would true if they were one of those little aggy fighting dogs but German shepherds are taut, well designed beasts.

Degenerative Myelopathy

Although a few cases have been reported in other large breeds of dogs, the disease appears with relative frequency only in the German Shepherd breed, suggesting that there is a genetic predisposition for German Shepherd dogs (GSD) in developing Degenerative Myelopathy.

Diagnosis of DM is made by a history of progressive spinal ataxia and weakness that may have a waxing and waning course or be steadily progressive. This is supported by the neurologic findings of a diffuse thoracolumbar spinal cord dysfunction.

from Wiki:

Many common ailments of the German Shepherds are a result of the inbreeding required early in the breed's creation.[31] One such common issue is hip and elbow dysplasia which may lead to the dog experiencing pain in later life, and may cause arthritis.[32] ... Also according to a study done by R.M. Clemmons, DVM PhD who is a Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery at the University of Florida, Degenerative Myelopathy, or DM is a neurological disease that occurs with enough regularity specifically in the the breed to suggest the disease is one that is genetically predisposed in German Shepherd Dogs.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
Cats because...

...they don't try to hump your leg, they take themselves for a walk, they don't rip toddlers limb from limb, they hunt vermin, they don't keep you up all night meowing and they have nine lives.

zhao

there are no accidents
mms' first reaction is denial, preferring the idealized image in his head to reality. and this makes an excellent example of what i was talking about upthread: the kind of discrepancy which exists between what people want to think about their pets and the reality for these animals.

further, people DON'T WANT to consider these animals' experience; and understandably so: these animals represent one, for many the single, source of "simple" comfort in a complicated world, with a child-like devotion (dependence) that they count on: and indeed become addicted to. so to politicize and point out the suffering of these animals is the last thing people want to hear: "now you want to take THAT away from me too?!"

sorry, but yes. because you see there are a few, very few people out there who ACTUALLY love animals instead of only loving what they can do for us and the way they make us feel.

mms

sometimes
mms' first reaction is denial, preferring the idealized image in his head to reality. and this makes an excellent example of what i was talking about upthread: the kind of discrepancy which exists between what people want to think about their pets and the reality for these animals.
nah it was ignorance, not denial, i didn't know that as it goes.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i'd say cats are far more likely to do this than dogs...

In terms of being kept awake at nights, cats lose. I might have been woken up once or twice by a dog barking at something outside, but cats are guilty of a long list of nocturnal offences including charging up and down the house at top speed, knocking things off of desks and tables, certainly meowing, scratching doors, and if in the same room as me, attacking my toes in the middle of the night.

Little bastards. Although you can just get fed up with them and toss them outside and they'll fend for themselves until the next morning, which you can't really do with dogs. Unless they are those hyper intelligent, rugged, farm dog types. And you live on a farm.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Dogs. No contest. Because they do try and hump your leg. And roll around in shit.

My woman once knew a dog that ate a pair of knickers...and they slowly came out the other end.

They don't kill our birds.

They repay kindness instead of strutting around like they own the world.

Walking cats is no fun.

They can kill people. Cats can claw badly and be nasty but there's nothing quite like petting a bull terrier (as I was the other week) knowing that it could chew me up in seconds. The downside of this, of course, is that certain breeds are owned by people who are more stupid than the pet.

mms

sometimes
wondering about getting a cat at the moment, i'd like a dog but my flats not big enough it would be tight.

Karl Kraft

Cats reputation as cleaner animals is totaly undeserved also. Thier small size just means that they can shit in more obscure places (which ultimately casuses more damage), they have rediculously weak stomachs for an animal, which leads them to vomit continualy and the fact they have the run of the whole house means their hair gets fucking everywhere.
They are as dumb as bricks and lazy, which somehow get read as somekind of cool layed back intelligence by cat owners (or as divinity by early civilsations). They make stupid nauseating noises and continualy get under your feet, duno how many domestic accidents a year are prolly the fault of cats (waay more than dog attacks I bet).
They have no idea what they want (besides attention), let one out thats meowing near a door and it will want to come back fucking in again in 1 mins time..

Just to list some dogs also:
Sheperds Dogs (could just list this one alone really)
Guide Dogs (like eyes for blind people ffs!)
Rescue Dogs
inc Sniffer Dogs (the ones that find people in collapsed buildings)
Guard Dogs (cats are more likley to trash your house than protect it)

Dogs have furtthered civilsation. Cats lay about in it.

john eden

male pale and stale
my cat is named after Roger Troutman's band Zapp.

My cat is named after STN's cat, bizarrely.

zipwoof.jpg

Client Eastwood

I cant remember where I saw this but I read somewhere that cats have learnt to mimic the sound of a baby crying into fooling owners into giving cats what they want. Usually food the greedy feckers.

There used be a cat in the street where I lived which could climb a street light and sit on top of it. Climbed it like a human would a climb cocunut tree using all fours to grasp the pole. Pretty cool.