[ldn] 'ardkore continuum event

john eden

male pale and stale
was it good then?

Did anyone bring the arms house to Simon Reynolds' house?

Did someone ask "excuse me but what is this hardcore continuum?" which lead K-Punk to exclaim "we didn't come here to answer such cuntish questions*" before the whole panel walked out?

Were there any girls?

*situationist in-joke

mos dan

fact music
Did anyone bring the arms house to Simon Reynolds' house?

Did someone ask "excuse me but what is this hardcore continuum?" which lead K-Punk to exclaim "we didn't come here to answer such cuntish questions*" before the whole panel walked out?

Were there any girls?

there were, but not enough of them were on the platform (mel bradshaw especially).

highlight of the day was steve9 trying and failing to say 'snuffleupagus' with a straight face.

Pestario

tell your friends
Yeah it was good. Every speaker was great to listen to and they all managed to maintain my interest despite my web 2.0 attention span.

Being relatively new to all this the highlight for me was just seeing who all these writers look like. Alex looks like he forgets to eat sometimes.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yep, good piece. where/when was the rinse fm rave with Boy Better Know dropping Joker tunes that was referenced? sounds good.

tom lea

probably the one at the end, w/ maximum, wiley and skepta. don't specifically remember maximum dropping joker, but the place was going nuts for that set...

nomos

Administrator
since it seems to be gaining currency (blackdown, gek, others?) i'd like to point out that i believe i coined this "wot do u call it moment" meme here and built on it here, here and elsewhere.

petty of me to point that out, i know, but i've been banging on about that theme for a few years :slanted:

mos dan

fact music
since it seems to be gaining currency (blackdown, gek, others?) i'd like to point out that i believe i coined this "wot do u call it moment" meme here and built on it here, here and elsewhere.

petty of me to point that out, i know, but i've been banging on about that theme for a few years :slanted:

that's not petty mate - i had a feeling i'd heard it before :) come to england paul! come to england and talk! there are so many other people i'd like to hear from who weren't on the platform - maybe it shouldn't be in quite the same context, in that i'm quite glad to get back to music and writing and raving now, but.. it was stimulating, certainly. it's probably something to do with, all being in a room together, rather than talking over the internet, that was satisfying.

quite a lot of producers and djs in the room too! pangaea, greena, joe, bok bok, blackdown and kode obvs.

john eden

male pale and stale

Gek has added this: "Note: Martin Clark and I were talking after the event about who coined the phrase "the wot u call it moment"-- glancing at Dissensus, it originates with Nomos AKA Paul Autonomic of Deeptime." :cool:

nomos

Administrator
Had a note from gek last night about that. Very nice of him :)

Dan, I'd love to talk about this stuff face to face with all of you. I can't even imagine events like these taking place over here :confused:

bulletpoints off the top of the dome, feel free to pop a cap in my ass at anytime...

* a continuum implies a fixed starting point and reynolds starts his UK breakbeat matrix with ardkore in london but what about madchester or acid jazz/northern soul ?

* when and if 2step garage split from jungle it also split into the most discarded of the nuums progeny...yeah you know it NU skool breaks. I would put tipper and si begg right up there with photek

* dubstep coalseced from the merging again of breaks and garage to become the fwd sound of breakbeat garage and let's try to forget the mythical croydon legend of the big apple yeah?

* forget also the johhny come lately of bristol, what about sheffield and manchester personified in oris jay and MRK1 and their traditions?

arrrrgh...I need a freakin joint eh!!! while i listen to this again

http://pollywannacracka.blogspot.com/2008/09/breakbeat-lattice.html

I'd like these to be my final last words on the subject but they prolly won't be...

SHUT UP AND DANCE...before the (thought) police come

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
write your own continuum, by all means.

come up with the goods! :p

not just a few sentences on a message board, but some kind of insane religious tract portraying your views, with quotes and interviews and references to the actual social movement. Bring it on!

C'mon you've been spouting this shit about breaks for years now, let's 'ave it!

^^^wow...you're so old school. are you talkin bout a book made out of paper? what a novel idea!!!

thing is i am doing more than just writing my continuum, i'm still living it...

i reckon five years of blogging or maybe 10 or maybe when i accept i'm past it and just another old fart reliving glory days and i have the time to produce the goods in its entirety. in the meantime you'll just have to hold tight while i twitter about on message boards

and since when did the ardkore nuum become a social movement ? when white intellectuals co opted the beat ?

thing is if you're gonna start your own continuum then i suppose you can choose any old arbitrary starting point and fix it within a geographical spectrum however you bloody like eh

but if you're gonna use the breakbeat as its back bone then why not start at its genesis and why exclude genres which are all about the breaks?

after all its only an opinion subject to rigourous debate and if it doesnt hold up then fuck it it's just virtual entertainment

chillax dude:cool: