Anarchism

matt b

Indexing all opinion
^^^exactly...based on principles and ethics/morality i dont really see much difference and i doubt the state would either

to paraphrase:

"based on principles and ethics/morality that i've just made up, i can't really see any difference, but then i rarely manage a coherent argument"

D

droid

A few things:

Use of coercive violence is not per se a reflection on organisational structure.

We've all read John Tilly, but there are certainly de-centralised 21st century criminal networks -- though this in itself is no reason to call them "anarchist". Even if it was, this would not imply equivalence on any level other than organisational.

Well it kind of is. The need to use coercive violence surely suggests that an organisaiton is non-democratic and hierarchical?

Also - de-centralisation does not equate to non-hierarchical or autonomous. The Campanian Camorra in (excellent book btw) would be a good example of a de-centralised criminal organisation that still has a hierarchical structure. Terror cells would be another.

There are of course degrees of hierarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
isn't there a form of egoist anarchy which allows for violence and acquistion of power/property by any means necessary ? one which states some of us are more equal than others and have an innate right to lord it over others if in the interest of thte greater good. Like I'm not your equal i'm actually better than you ?

QUOTE]

Yeah...this stems from a book called 'The Ego and Its Own' by Max Stirner, which is a wonderful read but he was profoundly insane.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
isn't there a form of egoist anarchy which allows for violence and acquistion of power/property by any means necessary ? one which states some of us are more equal than others and have an innate right to lord it over others if in the interest of thte greater good. Like I'm not your equal i'm actually better than you ?

QUOTE]

Yeah...this stems from a book called 'The Ego and Its Own' by Max Stirner, which is a wonderful read but he was profoundly insane.

But Stirner doesn't go on about 'by any means necessary' or 'acquiring power/property', he talks of co-operation between egoists for as long as those parties wish to do so. The egoists themselevs will respect others right to freedom/autonomy etc etc.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
But Stirner doesn't go on about 'by any means necessary' or 'acquiring power/property', he talks of co-operation between egoists for as long as those parties wish to do so. The egoists themselevs will respect others right to freedom/autonomy etc etc.

Yeah! But all the right wing 'anarchism' stems from him though originally, as well as Thatcher etc, doesn't it?

Incidentally a little birdie tells me the Thatch is very ill in Chelsea and Westminister at the moment. I'll give 500 quid for an exclusive picture of her on her deathbed, just for personal use.

"based on principles and ethics/morality that i've just made up, i can't really see any difference, but then i rarely manage a coherent argument"

speak for yourself and with anarchy because in its purist form lacks order and leadership implies a sense of self governing and censorship

therefore i make my own rules and live by them, accept the consequences and fuck all y'all.

it is my right (as an anarchist should i choose to be) to do as i please for as long as i want to because without knowing my motive which for all intents and purposes is for the greater good is worthy of respect

so you can just STFU :p

matt b

Indexing all opinion
speak for yourself and with anarchy because in its purist form lacks order and leadership implies a sense of self governing and censorship

therefore i make my own rules and live by them, accept the consequences and fuck all y'all.

it is my right (as an anarchist should i choose to be) to do as i please for as long as i want to because without knowing my motive which for all intents and purposes is for the greater good is worthy of respect

so you can just STFU :p

you are a tit and have no understanding of what you're talking about

vimothy

yurp
he Calabrian Comorra in (excellent book btw) would be a good example of a de-centralised criminal organisation that still has a hierarchical structure. Terror cells would be another.

Terror cells would be the classic example. However, the distinction is a di-polarity not a di-chotomy: terror cells are flatter, but not flat. (Hyper modern groups like AQ are flatter still). And of course, the same is likely true for anarcho-syndicalist organisations (e.g. the CNT TU mentioned upthread).

I am using hierarchy in the sense of a vertical structure where subordinates link directly and only to superiors throughout and control flows from the top down down. I think the question of whether coercive violence in any specific instance was a reflection of a hierarchical structure depends on the specific instance rather than a general rule. Certainly, totalitarian state violence reinforces rigid hierarchies. But a paramilitary organisation might use coercive violence more than the state -- for a variety of reasons, in a variety of ways -- but it does not therefore follow that the paramilitary organisation is more hierarchical.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Incidentally a little birdie tells me the Thatch is very ill in Chelsea and Westminister at the moment. I'll give 500 quid for an exclusive picture of her on her deathbed, just for personal use.

This is an insane thing to say. Who is Thatcher now? A dying old lady...

you are a tit and have no understanding of what you're talking about

eat dick bitch...

i have a perfect understanding of what I'M talking about its you that doesnt

but please lets not play tit for tat and upsizing the beef eh ? This is after all dissensus not consensus. We're not supposed to agree but rather respect the difference without the cheap insults yeah ?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

A dying old lady who needlessly caused lots of pain to lots of people. A difference there. Why shouldn't we be happy she's dying? - don't think there's anything wrong with that per se. Not exactly like we can feel sorry for her immediate family either, is it?

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
eat dick bitch...

i have a perfect understanding of what I'M talking about its you that doesnt

But your understanding is based upon what you think anarchism is, from an idea that came into your head, rather than from any reading of relevant materials.

but please lets not play tit for tat and upsizing the beef eh ? This is after all dissensus not consensus. We're not supposed to agree but rather respect the difference without the cheap insults yeah ?

Then stop jumping on threads and shouting rubbish. continually. after others have shown you are wrong.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Cheering death makes me uneasy.

I'd agree with you in principle, absolutely. But there are some people the world will be better off without, and she fits into that (small) category. If you don't give any love to the world, you don't get any back. Karma, innit.

But your understanding is based upon what you think anarchism is, from an idea that came into your head, rather than from any reading of relevant materials.

stop jumping on threads and shouting rubbish. continually. after others have shown you are wrong.
oh bullshit...

if you're such an expert then define anarchism in your own words or shut the fuck up yourself!

....but you wont cos theres every chance youve got it all wrong

so how about you do you and I'll do me yeah ?

crackerjack

There's a very good chance she'll get a state funeral, the first PM since Churchill (who, for all his faults, was at least the right man at the right time). We're entitled to get our loathing in first.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
A question, though: Why do people hate Thatcher so much? Several reasons, I guess. But a lot of the things which New Labour did after her were much more right-wing politically...