Anarchism

scottdisco

rip this joint please
remember when K-P had a quite bracingly contrarian approach to discussing Murdoch and SKY? similar sort of framing to him being quoted about Thatcher just now.
not saying i agreed wrt SKY but an interesting read.

Matt B talking sense, as ever, though i'll admit if i'd had a glass in my hand when i found out al-Zarqawi was dead i've have certainly toasted that monster on his way to Jahannam.

(this may be the simplistic, moralising young Hitchens in me.)

i gather, with all due respect, Oliver does not support any military intervention on Iran.
:cool:

Droid is quite right, among other crimes, the 80s vintage Tories had no problems with Suharto.

crackerjack

As for SA... sure it was complex, but the fact that even David Cameron has disowned Thatcher and Reagan's morally deficient 'constructive engagement' policy tells you all you really need to know...

Didn't know that. You got the full quote?

Not that I'm surprised - he just seems v wary of criticising her too openly.

D

droid

Didn't know that. You got the full quote?

Not that I'm surprised - he just seems v wary of criticising her too openly.

Yeah:

David Cameron has distanced himself from one of Margaret Thatcher's key foreign policies, saying that she was wrong to have called the ANC "terrorists" during the apartheid era.

The Conservative leader, who met Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg last week, said his party had made "mistakes" in the past by failing to introduce sanctions against apartheid in South Africa.

Lady Thatcher opposed international calls to introduce sanctions against the apartheid regime in South Africa and fought a bitter battle with campaigners in Britain. Writing in today's Observer, Mr Cameron said that Mr Mandela was "one of the greatest men alive". He said: "The mistakes my party made in the past with respect to relations with the ANC and sanctions on South Africa make it all the more important to listen now."

His remarks were sharply criticised by Sir Bernard Ingham, Lady Thatcher's former press secretary. He questioned Mr Cameron's Tory credentials, remarking: "I wonder whether David Cameron is a Conservative." But his comments were welcomed by veterans of the Anti-Apartheid Movement, who fought a fierce political battle with the Tories during the 1980s, as violence escalated in South Africa's townships.

This is not the first time that Mr Cameron has sought to distance himself from the policies of Lady Thatcher. In a reference to her remark, "there is no such thing as society", he has said: "There is such a thing as society; it's just not the same as the state."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-for-thatcher-apartheid-policies-413569.html

D

droid

Nah - I admit it was an ambiguous use of language open to uncharitable interpretation... ;)

D

droid

Is no foreign policy preferable to a foreign policy that supports genocidal maniacs and bigoted lunatics?

Wait, don't answer that...

crackerjack

Meanwhile, Cameron doesn't have a foreign policy. Great.

Cameron doesn't have an anything policy.

He doesn't need one at the moment. Labour are doing a brilliant job of destroyng themselves.

Nothing is his policy.

edit: He does have the likes of Gove around him. If the neo-con term can ever be rehabilitated, they'll be right on it.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
No, I think on balance Droid, I'd rather a foreign policy that supports genocidal maniacs and bigoted lunatics.

craner

Beast of Burden
To clear up this Khmer Rouge thing, the SAS didn't actually train Khmer Rouge. They trained a couple of other Cambodian groups fighting the Vietnamese, that both had acrimonious relations with the Khmer Rouge. The idea being to forge a non-Communist alternative to both Khmer Rouge and the Vietnamese.