craner

Beast of Burden
Actually, it was always a mixture of both. I think that's what caused K-Punk's 'Dope Smoking Dads' paroxysm.

luka

It was because some of marks coterie had decided to ditch deleuze for um, that Maoist who does the maths? And josef was staying loyal to mr multiplicities

luka

Actually, it was always a mixture of both. I think that's what caused K-Punk's 'Dope Smoking Dads' paroxysm.

Inevitably because of the two founding fathers having absolutely nothing in common. Was pulling in at least two different directions from the start

poetix

we murder to dissect
The younger JK could be a bit of a pillock, and had a nasty attack-dog mode he'd go into from time to time when a seemingly deserving target presented itself, but seemed like a generally functioning personality, someone you could have a conversation with. Nowadays you can hear the rattle of a few too many loose screws - that firm, unwarranted conviction that others are "lying" about him, for one - and the shell of personality is looking a bit thin; there's that transformation into self-caricature that some people seem to undergo, ever more convinced that they're expressing their best selves even as the possibility of active, inquisitive selfhood becomes more and more remote. I don't know how much of that is internet-madness, and how much is other kinds of attrition.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can't find time to read Shakespeare so how on earth do people find time to read these French theorists?

I suppose they're academics, it's their full time job to read Lacan or whoever.

luka

I can't find time to read Shakespeare so how on earth do people find time to read these French theorists?

I suppose they're academics, it's their full time job to read Lacan or whoever.

They're not academics. Well Nina is and possibly poetix was but mostly they are just people with a feel for theory. It's a talent.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There is something intoxicating about it, it's a climbing frame for the brain. And perhaps the fact that so few people understand it is part of that intoxication. Being privy to secret, arcane knowledge. I figure it must be something like this because realistically how much influence does any of it have on the outside world? Perhaps it creeps in via osmosis.

craner

Beast of Burden
I must admit to looking on in wry amusement as they all tried to tackle Set Theory like Badiou. At least in Nina's case she was translating him, or editing a book about him, or something. Poetix would know.

poetix

we murder to dissect
The Badiou-mania was quite a thing. I read back over blog posts of mine from that period, and there's a certain glazed follow-the-Master quality to some of them which I find a bit unnerving in retrospect. We sort of used Zizek to channel the id, and Badiou for the superego, I think. I still do read Badiou - am reading his seminar on Lacan at the moment - but I'm a bit less inclined to bang on about militant procedures and Truths. At the time that kind of talk was indexed to a sense that there was an opportunity to be seized - a rush and a push and the land we stand on is ours - which is very evident in the blurb Mark did for Zer0, for example. The ordinary unfolding of history - personal and impersonal - tends to deal harshly with that sort of conviction.

poetix

we murder to dissect
I think of the set theory in a "we'll always have Paris" sort of way. Whatever else may have come of it, I still ended up learning a bunch of set theory and category theory, which is still very much part of my mental toolkit.

luka

There is something intoxicating about it, it's a climbing frame for the brain. And perhaps the fact that so few people understand it is part of that intoxication. Being privy to secret, arcane knowledge. I figure it must be something like this because realistically how much influence does any of it have on the outside world? Perhaps it creeps in via osmosis.

I think thought has an influence.

luka

Me and Craner are literary types ("arty types, no principles") we don't really have the brain or temperament for theory.

poetix

we murder to dissect
The joke is that I'm an arty type too - degree in Eng Lit, not even something fancy like philosophy. Never did A-level maths. I've always been a complete dilettante when it comes to Theory. But I do seem to have the sort of brain that enjoys play-apparatus of that kind. And by an accident of personal history I've ended up being a computer person for long enough to have got quite good at it, in the way that one becomes good at things just by doing them reasonably mindfully for over a decade.

luka

They made me read some Heidegger for my Therapy course and I must admit (it was a very small amount) that making some kind of headway with that was exhilarating and sort of even gave me a new lease of life, intellectual energy etc. Shook me out of a kind of stupor, an elective idiocy I'd been clinging onto wilfully.

luka

Ever since then I've had a different attitude to theory and theory people. I wouldn't say I trust them exactly but I'm not dismissive, admiring even, envious.