vimothy

yurp
A small victory

new_tor_clients_from_iranian_ip_space.png

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Zzk*

[snip]

*Comments section is worth a brief scan...

nice one Vim :cool:

yeah that thing i linked to of his is something you could definitely, er, have a few words with, but eh oh, never mind.

will be mildly vaguely interested to see whatever statement G8 come up with.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
there's a very stupid Sunday Telegraph columnist - who shall remain nameless as i, mostly, despise them - who's all for them under the enemy's enemy friend formulation.

OT but have realised there's two - the other being in the PD (so i will name him) due to his being incredibly dim-witted Tory troll Daniel Hannan - Telegraph columnists (or sometime columnist) batting for this lot.

there must be something in the coffee at Canary Wharf.

3 Body No Problem

Want to Earn $10000?

Robert Naiman has offered $10000 reward for the first coherent account of how the Iran election was stolen. Maybe the resident crew of Iran experts wants to take up his challenge?

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
"Iran expert" equivocates

Ha! I don't actually think Naiman's challenge is coherent, but obviously I'm not as smart as Robert Naiman, nor as well informed.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape

look, I read this dude every now & then, understand generally where he's coming from - secular Arab leftists are kind of a rare breed these days I suspect - but sometimes he veers into sheer nuttiness.

In later years, elements of the regime were supporting some pro-Iranian groups although the fundamentalist regime does not support resistance to Israel per se: it only supports fundamentalists groups that resist Israel and that supports the Iranian regime. There is a difference there.

this is exactly the kind of bullshit, reality-warping hairsplitting that dude would be all over if it was in reference to, say, the Israelis support of the Maronites in Lebanon.

And if the enemies of the Arabs are supporting the movement against the regime, this does not mean that the enemies of the Arabs control the demonstrators although it does mean a role exists by the enemies of the Arabs to exploit the situation. One wishes that the demonstrators make an effort to distance themselves from the likes of Fox News or CNN or Zionists in general.

yes, CNN, tool of the Zionists. oh, if only the protesters had had the good since to "distance themselves"! I'm sure that would stopped the Basij in their tracks.

it all strikes me as, ironically given his endless anti-"Zionist" screeds, viewing the Iranian events thru the lens of Arab chauvinism.

3 Body No Problem

Either ballot boxes were stuffed with fraudulent votes or the numbers were simply made up.

That'll be $10,000 please.

From the article: "To collect your reward, it's not sufficient to cite press reports or anecdotal evidence of election irregularities, or to claim as authority Western commentators or NGOs who have not themselves put together a coherent story.

vimothy

yurp
But that doesn't hold with regard to Mr Tea's story. Though, of course, that is not going to matter to Robert Naiman, who has no intention of giving anybody $10,000. THe fact is that it is not necessary to cite anyone (per Mr Tea, who did not) when conceiving of a plausible method of rigging the vote. They made it up. It's perfectly cohernet, and it doesn't require knowledge of any of the things neither we nor Mr Naiman know anything about. Iran voted. The Ministry of Interior (EDIT: who count the votes) declared Ahmadi the winner.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

so I've finally managed to read a chunk of that CSIS paper on the Iranian military that Vim linked about 10 pages back. I'm only about 1/3 thru but a couple things that stand out, especially in re: recent events.

Iran's conventional military readiness, effectiveness & capabilities have declined since the end of the of the Iran-Iraq War, & Iran has not been able to find a meaningful way to restore its conventional edge in the region...This inability to modernize its conventional forces is seen by many experts as one of the reasons for Iran's "nuclear ambitions" and its focus on building asymmetric capabilities

The IRGC remains the center of Iran's hardline security forces but has become steadily more bureaucratic & less effective as a conventional fighting force since the end of the Iran-Iraq War...Corruption & careerism are growing problems, & the IRC's role in the defense industry has led to financial abuses

[The IRGC's Naval] forces can carry out extensive raids against Gulf Shipping...they give Iran a major capability for asymmetric warfare

2 points that come up again & again

1 - Tho the Iranians have a lot of bodies in uniform/equipment, due to poor training, lack of infrastructure/poor logistics & ability to perform maintenance, the mixed success of homegrown defense industries, etc. its actual conventional strength, especially on the offensive (decided lack of mobility) - is far below the #s. another reason to focus on CBRN weapons & irregular/warfare by proxy.

2 - the IRGC have their fingers in many, many pies, have their own power base, are pretty well removed from any kind of civilian or military oversight, control all the CBRN stuff & are that the forefront of agitating for Iran to get more. None of this is a revelation, admittedly. But - I reckon the mullahs, tho certainly self-interested, at least care about the Iranian people & have a certain religious ethical base. the impression I get about the IRGC is that it's interested in 1 thing, namely the IRGC.

also - Iran is estimated to hold 11.1% world oil reserves & 15.3% world natural gas reserves. at the risk of exposing my own ignorance - I knew Iran had a lot of oil but not 1/10+ of the world reserve. & I had no idea that they had that much natural gas. reinforces how badly they must have been mismanaging the economy to not even be able to spread the oil/gas wealth around.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

also I think Vim already linked to Ghassan Katib's but all 4 essays at Bitterlemons this week are Iran-related - or, Iran in the context of Isr/Pal - & worth reading.

alright, I'm out.

vimothy

yurp
Iran's conventional strength (armour, manoeuvrability, logistical capacity, etc) is definitely lacking, but it's probably in a pretty strong position regardless: strategic depth from Quds Force and proxies, ability to shut down the Strait of Hormuz, Ras Tanura (largest oil terminal in the world) within range of its missiles, not to mention any number of local western allies... Regional conflagration, in other words.

padraig (u.s.)

The IRGC seems not unlike the state-within-a-state actor of popular folklore...

yep. there was a picture in a linked article where a meeting of IRGC top brass looked like, to draw another Dune parallel, the Saurdaukaur (David Lynch edition). isn't this a timeless story - the warrior cult which eventually overthrows, tacitly or not, its overlords? especially (tho not only) in the Muslim world - the Mamluks, the Janissaries, etc. right on to the Young Turks & Nasser.

Iran's conventional strength (armour, manoeuvrability, logistical capacity, etc) is definitely lacking, but it's probably in a pretty strong position regardless: strategic depth from Quds Force and proxies, ability to shut down the Strait of Hormuz, Ras Tanura (largest oil terminal in the world) within range of its missiles, not to mention any number of local western allies... Regional conflagration, in other words.

all true, certainly - don't see as any of that contradicts anything i said. the point was that not only is its strength in asymmetric warfare & CBRN deterrents but why the regime - whatever combination of clerics/bureaucrats/generals/IRGC dudes makes decisions about procurement, production, training etc. - has seen fit to focus on those things. in other words, animals - including humans - are most dangerous when you've backed them into a corner, or if they feel they have been.

also re: regional power - certainly & hasn't that always been so dating back to the various Persian empires? tho one thing - certainly that regional threat is another deterrent - not that it precludes their doing so but setting off any serious conflict would obv have deleterious effects on Iran. again, back to wall & so on.