Michael

CHAOTROPIC

on account
To me though it's as an icon and (not exactly the right word but it's the best I can do now) cultural figure that he seems so significant and that was brought home to me by the sheer shock that hit me on hearing the news.

Yeah man, completely. I didn't think it'd bother me & I was playing piano when I heard, but it just fucking knocked me sideways & I played dirges for two hours :(:( Wow.

D

droid

Jackson, Spector, Jade Goody... amazingly tragic moral tales to rival anything in antiquity.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I was down Brick Lane when I got texted and was wandering around telling people, the look on their faces was amazing.

D'yer think Ladbrokes will take a bet on him resurrecting in 7 days?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was down Brick Lane when I got texted and was wandering around telling people, the look on their faces was amazing.

That's an amazing opportunity well taken!

I think it's such an unexpected shock as he was one of the few mythic figures of the modern age - kinda superhuman, in a way that few stars are now that the tabloids brutally humanise them day after day. Maybe people need that.

For example, if Madonna died tomorrow, would anyone be too sad? She's long since lost her myth.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That's an amazing opportunity well taken!

I think it's such an unexpected shock as he was one of the few mythic figures of the modern age - kinda superhuman, in a way that few stars are now that the tabloids brutally humanise them day after day. Maybe people need that.

For example, if Madonna died tomorrow, would anyone be too sad? She's long since lost her myth.

It was really weird, I was in the Spitalfields and got rung about it, then got it confirmed, and then 'I want you back' came on the jukebox, randomly, so I went up to the bar and told people, and then wandered up the road to find a pub with a telly. Unanimous response was utter disbelief, it was a strange thing. It's definitely my 'Kennedy' moment.

Every bar was playing his music, so funny to think that even the Castle has a CD of MJ's music somewhere. I didn't cry til this morning seeing Jermaine doing the press conference, then I was in bits.

STN

sou'wester
Me and my mate were trying to tell people in the pub but I think most of them thought we were being smug "Glastonbury rumour" dickheads, till the barmaid looked it up.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
My Kennedy moment too (though I still remember where I was when Kurt Kobain died too). Was chatting to a friend and didn't really even understand what she was saying at first. Checked it out online, and I was like, "He's in hospital, not dead." Little did I know.

Putting what he might or might not have done aside for a second, I think it's sad that he will now be venerated to the skies when he's dead, but people scarcely cared that he was obviously really fucked up when he was alive, and chose instead to laugh and point (I say this from a British standpoint - Americans seem not to feel it as necessary to look down on people). Guy had a massively screwed up life.

petergunn

plywood violin

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petergunn

plywood violin
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Dusty

Tone deaf
Best thing for him. It was getting so painful watching him trying to appear in public with that mess of a face and no grip on how a human acts any more.

Ory

warp drive
I read it first on Corpsey's blog this morning.

utter disbelief isn't even the start of it.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Can't say I had a lot of time for him as a person, but he was a great talent and obviously it's sad to see someone go prematurely. RIP.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Not much for me to say really that hasn't been said already.
Michael Jackson- Human Nature
SWV-Right Here (Human Nature Mix)
Nas Will Prevail
Nas - It Ain't Hard To Tell

matt b

Indexing all opinion
jacko460.jpg