Rolling (though slowly, I'd imagine) Gaming Thread

alex

Do not read this.
Bought Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the Macbook last night, (as an app) and it is really good. It’s hard at the moment as I am using the key’s as the buttons to play the game, so undoubtedly anyone watching me play the game must think I am playing with my eyes shut and left hand I move so slow. Just a request/question really, when I took my headphones off after finally breaking through and rescuing our intel ‘Nikolai’ from the insurgents, I noticed my processor was making the loudest noise since I have ever used the macbook, even louder than when Ableton is loaded up with about a million VST’s going, any reason? (dumb question i know, i know the answer, just wanted to know if anyone had another reason)

Also wanted to know if any of you guys had any recommendations for controllers for the Mac (games style controllers)?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
For an answer for the controller question, I'd have a root around the neogaf and rllmuk forums

COD4 is awesome. Wish I'd never traded it in :(

outraygeous

Plants Vs Zombies is the current addiction

Its not that intense until 100 zombies try get into your house at the same time and you cant manufacture Sun quick enough

you

This is very beautifuly done, Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Wii:
kirbys-epic-yarn-tokyo-game-show-2010-screenshot-wii%20(570%20x%20327).jpg

Kirbys%20Epic%20Yarn%20104_06--article_image.jpg

Kirby's back!?!?!

Kirby pinball was the best game on the gameboy after tetris.....

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I played a bit more than that before getting sucked in to other stuff. The world looks nice, but basically it is GTA in the wild west, which is starting to feel a little bit clunky nowadays.

Yeah and the reason this sucks is because at least in the various incarnations of Grand Theft Auto you cross the long distances you need to cross in anything from a bicycle to a sports car to a tank. The "Auto" aspect of the game was fun and enjoyable and varied enough to carry the rest of the game. In Red Dead Redemption (aka Grand Theft Horse) you get... a horse. I've played more now, and although it does have a Western-movie kind of feel to it, essentially it is riding long distances on a horse and then auto-targeting a pistol in Matrix-style bullet time to take down 40 guys without any difficulty whatsoever. It's like a bad Western movie where you get to control all the bits that usually aren't in the film because they are boring and unnecessary to the plot, and to include them would make the film like 40 hours long.

All the positive reviews seem to applaud the game for this very reason though. I say until we've got fully immersive, dream-like virtual reality, walking around in spurs in a bleak desert landscape playing texas hold'em with the locals isn't really going to cut it as entertainment.

Last edited:

outraygeous

xmas 2004 or 5 I got Max Payne 2 for the xbox

I have just started playing it

I love how moody it is and flying around in slow motion killing people

<3 Bullet Time

BareBones

wheezy
I finally caved and bought fm2012 last week and it's sucked up about 10 hours of my life already. I hadn't played it since it was still championship manager and all commentary text boxes etc, and fuck me it's gotten way more complicated since then. I feel like even more of a saddo geek playing it now than I did in 2002.

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who is honest enough to admit Heavy Rain is a lacklustre game. The whole genre concept of limited player interaction could work well in theory (especially if the possible lower production costs were translated into cheaper games on the high street), but it's already going to be dodgy when Heavy Rain's scriptwriting team included a teenage boy doing work experience for his GCSE's. I just got the feeling that this title came out a decade after Shenmue and yet couldnt really compete with that. Very little fun in it at all, and in light of the above flaws there was non-existent replay value. Especially relevant given that it's over in no time at all.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who is honest enough to admit Heavy Rain is a lacklustre game. The whole genre concept of limited player interaction could work well in theory (especially if the possible lower production costs were translated into cheaper games on the high street), but it's already going to be dodgy when Heavy Rain's scriptwriting team included a teenage boy doing work experience for his GCSE's. I just got the feeling that this title came out a decade after Shenmue and yet couldnt really compete with that. Very little fun in it at all, and in light of the above flaws there was non-existent replay value. Especially relevant given that it's over in no time at all.

I've not played Heavy Rain but I did play Fahrenheit, which is by the same people and very much its spiritual predecessor. All the same criticisms apply. I did like the idea of each action being irreversible (i.e. you can choose to save (or not) a drowning child which affects your status with the local police), but this one good idea was utterly wasted because your limited interactions were so poorly signposted that you'd inevitably have to take ten attempts at each one (dying and reloading your saved game each time) until the correct combination of button presses and analogue stick rotations was achieved, often by blind luck. That's not gameplay - it's trial and error, and no different from sodding Dragon's Lair, which came out in 1984, looked fantastic and played like a brick. However atmospheric the environment or plot you've created, it falls to pieces in the face of cumbersome interaction and "Loading - Please Wait" messages. It's supposed to be a game, not an animated version of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book.

Also, a word to the writers of Heavy Rain (and videogame writers in general, with a few honourable exceptions): If you want to make films, fuck off and make films. Leave us poor gamers alone. We don't want your hamfisted attempts at dialogue, plot and expostion. Taken in isolation, the non-interactive bits alone (cutscenes/intro/etc) are never on a par with even the crappiest blockbuster. To ramp them up and limit interaction is the wrong thing to be doing. Portal 2 is a shining example of getting it right, Heavy Rain/Fahrenheit is the epitome of getting it wrong.

I sort of agree with you in regards to too many cut scenes, but I think GTA has usually done quite well with this. LA Noire as well but I'm not sure if that's the same scriptwriters or not. There's one issue with GTA in that in going for more filmic storylines they're making the series too dark. Aside from the superior city location, San Andreas was the best one yet because it was cheerful. Yes, I know it's all about shooting people because they carry the wrong colour of tea towel, but the humour carried it through. So for most of the last half dozen installments, where someones girlfriend dying in every title, is taking it in the wrong direction.

As for Heavy Rain, they want to be taken seriously because it's about a man mourning the death of his son, and yet they add an incongrous fucking sci fi element with no added explanation. Oh, and a character addicted to an unspecified drug, as if people would be offended by the word heroin. Likewise LA Noire's racist character never actually says the word nigger or spic, and this is meant to be inspired by James Ellroy- you'd never catch a film pulling punches like that so why should an 18 certificate game.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I really enjoyed the beginning of Heavy Rain- you get up, have a shower, juggle etc.

I stopped when I made bad scrambled eggs.

Can I recommend Dark Souls? Follow up to Demon Souls and it is awesome. Fucking hard, but awesome.

20 hours in and I have barely scratched the surface. Wish I had more time.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
''Skyrim'' is amazing, if you like RPGing. I don't even like RPGing, but its still amazing. Huge world, beautiful graphics, incredible detail...

Favourite game apart from ''Top Spin 4'' at the moment.

I'm looking to buy/play:

Bayonetta
NBA 2K12
Prince of Persia

in the near future. Recommend me some others, XBOX 360 playaz.

slowtrain

I got really into Oblivion for a while. I wish my downloaded Skyrim worked properly but it always crashes.

I have never completed a computer game in my life.

Oh wait no, GTA 3.