craner

Beast of Burden
She had that weird zero degree ultra-cynic thing going on on Popworld, didn't she? A soul made of charcoal. But yes, she does look good, I concede.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Although, there's The Mummy...

top 3 selected

69198732_ph3.jpg

mms

sometimes
She had that weird zero degree ultra-cynic thing going on on Popworld, didn't she? A soul made of charcoal. But yes, she does look good, I concede.

yep that's a really annoying trait, can't stand that, it comes across as depressed and mean more than cool and confident imo
my girlfriend works with her brother as it goes.

craner

Beast of Burden
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My Dad loves this song.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Is nobody interested in my slating of Rupa bloody Huq?

Well I noticed it, if that's any consolation (and you are a bloody name-dropper by royal appointment, aren't you? ;)). I would hazard a guess at a lifetime's frustration of being The Less Attractive Sister? (Rupa Huq, not you, I mean.)

gumdrops

shefali orza = VERY good call.

alexa chung isnt bad looking but yeah itd basically be like dating the personification of shoreditch or vice mag.

swears

preppy-kei
She had that weird zero degree ultra-cynic thing going on on Popworld, didn't she? A soul made of charcoal.

I think girls like this are great. My gf is too sweet for her own good, some of her mates are evil, though. Spoilt home counties wannabe-hipster students who hate everything. Good times.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
i just realized the dyke factor on the thread is almost nil

jenny shimizu, so cool
jenny-shimizu_100178789_m.jpg

michelle rodriguez, cute AND insane, a good combination
letty.jpg

portia de rossi and ellen
ellenportia2.jpg

scottdisco

rip this joint please
fitties make out

tudorsDM1.jpg

awesome photos there N, that Jenny woman is gorgeous. Ellen and her lady are a bit OTP if you ask me.

nomadthethird

body image rant

Not to derail the thread or anything with a body image rant, but I love how people bitch and whine about how thin celebrities are, and how bad this is for people, when 80% of the U.S. population is overweight or obese, while only about 2%-5% (at the very most) are anorexic or bulimic. Apparently all of those ads and TV shows featuring healthy people isn't doing much to stop Americans from imbibing all of those snack foods and refined carbs that are contributing to the obesity epidemic.

Clearly, compulsive eating disorders and binge disorders are the far bigger problem than anorexia and purge disorders in the Western world. But somehow I'm supposed to believe that everyone's at home crying themselves to sleep because Jessica Alba wears a size 2 (which is not medically problematic in the least, btw)? Maybe if Americans actually cared that much about who looks good in People magazine, they'd get off their asses and lose weight, lessen the strain on their hearts, and actually be much better off for it. There are people starving in other countries, who would be glad to have a quarter of what we thoughtlessly consume in a day. But there are privileged rich Western white people who have the nerve to complain because people prefer not to look at overweight people in the media. Typical.

There are mountains of evidence that a calorie restricted diet actually prolongs life, diets lower in saturated and trans fat are heart healthier, people with lower BMIs are less likely to die of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, or other illnesses--how could you possibly believe that it's unhealthy to be thin, or to have people in pictures who are on the lower end of the range of healthy BMI? From where I sit it looks like people don't care enough about their weight.

nomadthethird

We have everything--even the info that tells us that it is, indeed, healthier and better for everyone if we maintain lower BMIs and diets lower in saturated and trans fats, the money and resources to maintain our own health--and what do we do?? Bitch about how hard it is not to be beautiful.

swears

preppy-kei
I used to wonder why Americans were fat but then I went to Florida when I was 17 and after two weeks of Sizzler and Oreos and free drink refills and Dunkin Donuts and IHOP and fried chicken that isn't all brown inside I'd gained about 9 pounds. That was the fattest I've ever been in my life, haha.

Perhaps the vast majority of people aren't affected by those media images but I've known a couple of anorexics and it really hits them hard. I'm doing weights and protein shakes myself to conform to an ideal of what a man should look like, it does affect people.

nomadthethird

But anorexics have a mental illness that is related to obsessive-compulsive disorder and which leads them to ritualistic behavioral compulsions that are anxiety and fear based. Anorexics are fat- and food-phobic. Anorexia has been around for a very long time. There is no evidence that media images cause anorexia--although, I'm sure they can trigger episodes or contribute to the mental wallpaper--and in fact quite a bit of evidence for the fact that it's a heritable disorder with genetic components, just like OCD.

The bigger problem is capitalism, obviously, but more generally, I think, a lack of balance when it comes to food, because food in our culture has become a form of recreation.

Ultimately, my point is, if all you have to worry about is your damn looks, STFU, because you have it a shitload easier than 99% of the world's population. I just cannot believe people who have every advantage that people literally would kill to have for themselves waste their time on this nonsense.

And fwiw, we all SHOULD be trying to eat healthy food and getting some exercise now and then.

swears

preppy-kei
But anorexics have a mental illness that is related to obsessive-compulsive disorder and which leads them to ritualistic behavioral compulsions that are anxiety and fear based. Anorexics are fat- and food-phobic. Anorexia has been around for a very long time. There is no evidence that media images cause anorexia--although, I'm sure they can trigger episodes or contribute to the mental wallpaper--and in fact quite a bit of evidence for the fact that it's a heritable disorder with genetic components, just like OCD.

OK, but aren't the majority of anorexics young women who do have an active interest in fashion and celebrity culture? Or is this just a stereotype?

I think there's a social taboo aganst telling people that they're too fat, because it's considered cruel, whereas pointing out someone's thinness is "concern".

Isn't there actually a fat people's rights group in the states? That's like something out of a Judge Dredd comic.