nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
You may already know all this but there's a few pretty simple things you can do to eat better. Cooking a bunch of stuff in advance & then refrigerating/freezing it so you have healthy food prepared for several days in case you're too busy to cook every day. Always having healthy snacks - fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. - around, especially when you're out & about, so you can eat them in place of giving in to junk food urges. Another one that's huge - & a massive culprit in the shiteness of the American diet - is staying on top of hidden calories. like, the mayonnaise in a sandwich, or snacking on stuff out of the box, or - the worst of them all - soft drinks.

not to get all crazy advice-dispensing on ya - it's just, again, that I'm way way into people eating better, feeling better, etc. it makes me feel good to see people have better health, esp. cos it's my own little piece of fighting back against the unhealthiness of the lifestyle here.

I know, I was a vegetarian for most of my life until my doctor told me that was the worst thing I could do for my brain, and I used to eat well, still do eat mostly plants and I usually avoid McDonald's. It's just I had to get stitches last week, with anesthesia, and then I had a couple of absence seizures, so that's my laziness excuse for the next few weeks.

I don't drink anything with sugar in it, that's one thing I know is a huge source of excess calories and some say a cause of diabetes...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sugary foods are the worst, they fuck with your insulin so you're hungry and depressed again 15 mins after that Snickers Duo you scoffed in the office out of boredom.

I'm beginning to think that my habit of pouring sugar straight from the 1kg packet into ultra-strength coffee may not be the best for me.

nomadthethird

no I meant cos I'll eventually be treating many people who suffer from obesity & the related effects. I doubt doctors are much healthier than anyone else. the opposite I expect; long hours, not enough sleep, under tons of stress, very little free time to put into cooking/exercise/etc. (it obv depends on what kinda doctor you are too - I want to do trauma medicine in an ER)

Exactly. On top of all that, they're narcissists who probably think they can get away with more than other people. But you almost have to be one to make those kinds of life and death decisions.

It's like the one about surgeons--what's the difference between a surgeon and God? God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

nomadthethird

I can't decide if India de Beaufort is actually hot

ActressIndia_Vespa_15673143.jpg

hot

tits are fake

scottdisco

rip this joint please
yeah cute, i had a thing for the asian doctor off er dunno why she was just really cute and serious.

ah, Parminder Nagra. she is unbelievably tidy. Leicester gal.

Parminder%20Nagra-1.jpg

loving Ollie's Rupa Huq anecdotes!

though she gets thumbs up for rightly lauding the EHRC's UK social housing report on her blog recently

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
It's hard isn't to constantly be thinking of things this way? I want to specialize in psychiatry and I still obsess about this shit.

not really. it's gotten really deeply ingrained in me over the years I guess. I'm really regimented about what I eat - no alcohol, drugs, caffeine, red meat, very little refined sugar. also exercise, I'm in the gym killing myself doing Crossfit 5-6 times a week. I almost never go out, rarely eat out, I ride a bike & don't have a car, etc. personally I really enjoy it tho clearly that life isn't for everyone. but I think for most people there's a happy medium that's attainable w/o too much discomfort. & again, I really want to stress, I'm always really enthusiastic about anyone doing anything to be more healthy - like I bigup the 80 year old women doing laps at my gym every day. they're doing what works for them, what's important is that they're doing it.

actually I had some pretty serious body image problems as a teenager (on the skinny side - I'm naturally very slim) & I found that getting into exercise really helped me cos I wasn't worried about being fat anymore - I wanted to be fitter, to be more healthy, so I could do more pullups/lift more weight/run faster etc. & as I've gotten more into being fit the body image stuff has receded further & further into the background.

@Mr. Tea - yeah it's mucked up. the problem is, what the hell do you do about it? the answer is at least partly - a big part - trying to educate people about nutrition. I wish there were better health programs at elementary schools esp. (tho I've no idea how to bring such a thing about).

nomadthethird

Going way, way off topic here, but I think it's worth mentioning that it's a scandal that grossly overfeeding your kids isn't more widely recognised as a form of neglect. I think there may have been a couple of watershed cases where parents have either had their kids taken off them or been made to sign an agreement to regulate their kids' weight or face having them taken into care. I think this was in Britain though - I imagine it'd be that much harder in the US what with the stronger historical tradition of personal freedom (or at least the perception thereof). Anyone here know anything more about this?

Well, my only problem with this idea of taking fat kids away from parents is: what if it's a thyroid and/or cortisol problem? What if it's a leptin problem? You often won't be able to find out until puberty or later, or sometimes not until extensive genetic testing is done. Sometimes the cause of overeating is not readily apparent, sometimes it's not simply bad parenting that's causing weight gain. It'd be difficult to establish, but in cases where parents were simply forcefeeding their kids, yeah, take them away.

nomadthethird

actually I had some pretty serious body image problems as a teenager

Eveerryybody does I'm sure.

For me, as long as I don't feel shitty, I don't care what I look like. But if I feel shitty, then I'm convinced I look shitty as well. This is where the whole plastic surgery debate becomes relevant to medicine. Can it be a boon to self-image or does it just create more problems than it solves?

I've thought about surgery but it's like, eh, there's a change I'd hate the results just as much if not more than I already dislike myself, so what's the point?

padraig (u.s.)

Sugary foods are the worst, they fuck with your insulin so you're hungry and depressed again 15 mins after that Snickers Duo you scoffed in the office out of boredom.

insulin production is massively important - the way I eat is specifically designed to keep your insulin production at steady levels throughout the day. it's mostly common-sense stuff; eat 4-5 smaller meals or snacks instead of big meals, have a good mix of protein & carbs (& a dab of monounsaturated fat*) at each meal, get most of your carbs from fruits & esp. vegetables instead of bread/pasta/rice etc. it seems a bit daunting at first but it's not really.

monounsaturated fats = olive oil, avocados, various nuts, etc.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

monounsaturated fats = olive oil, avocados, various nuts, etc.

I love avocados, but they give me migraines. It's on a whole list, with most of my other favorite foods: bananas, olives, capers, red wine, almonds, chocolate, etc. I've noticed I can get past this if I have just one thing per day, but if I mix two off the list, I'm done for. French foods, which I love, are murderous.

padraig (u.s.)

For me, as long as I don't feel shitty, I don't care what I look like. But if I feel shitty, then I'm convinced I look shitty as well. This is where the whole plastic surgery debate becomes relevant to medicine. Can it be a boon to self-image or does it just create more problems than it solves?

yeah I dunno - clearly self-image & related issues have to do w/more than just how fit one is. so it's kinda tough to answer the self-image part of that question. I do think plastic surgery has become quick fix for those who can afford it - obv I'm referring only to unnecessary elective surgeries here - I would ask if many of them have exhausted or even tried out other options first. not just diet & exercise either. I dunno tho, I guess it really depends on what the surgery is.

I dunno - I mean, there's no big secret to health. I guess most plastic surgery doesn't have much to do w/health. I just think people often do it for shitty reasons. In general - & I know this will sound dumb - I just wish people loved themselves more*, as they were, w/o having to resort to all this craziness.

*no, not like that

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@Mr. Tea - yeah it's mucked up. the problem is, what the hell do you do about it? the answer is at least partly - a big part - trying to educate people about nutrition. I wish there were better health programs at elementary schools esp. (tho I've no idea how to bring such a thing about).

Oh, but didn't you hear? That's actually just another insidious way for paternalistic middle-class busybodies to enforce their values on working-class people - nothing short of cultural chauvinism. K-punk explained aaaaall about it on here in the Jamie Oliver thread. ;)

edit:

Well, my only problem with this idea of taking fat kids away from parents is: what if it's a thyroid and/or cortisol problem? What if it's a leptin problem? You often won't be able to find out until puberty or later, or sometimes not until extensive genetic testing is done. Sometimes the cause of overeating is not readily apparent, sometimes it's not simply bad parenting that's causing weight gain. It'd be difficult to establish, but in cases where parents were simply forcefeeding their kids, yeah, take them away.

OK, point taken - but very often you see obese parents with obese kids and if you happen to be in a supermarket at the time, you'll see the crap they're piling the trolley with and it's all pretty obvious really...

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

I love avocados, but they give me migraines. It's on a whole list, with most of my other favorite foods: bananas, olives, capers, red wine, almonds, chocolate, etc. I've noticed I can get past this if I have just one thing per day, but if I mix two off the list, I'm done for. French foods, which I love, are murderous.

there's other monounsaturated fats too. & they don't have to be monounsaturated fats, those are just the best. the main thing is avoiding saturated fat, trans fat, hydrogenated oils, that kinda stuff.

padraig (u.s.)

Oh, but didn't you hear? That's actually just another insidious way for paternalistic middle-class busybodies to enforce their values on working-class people - nothing short of cultural chauvinism. K-punk explained aaaaall about it on here in the Jamie Oliver thread. ;)

I've been hearing that bullshit for years & that's what it is, bullshit, it makes me really angry actually. a girl I went to high school with was a communist & I remember her attempting to explain to me how it was bourgeois to encourage people to eat healthy food. it also goes back those comments I made about my disgust w/the entire concept - the bourgeois marketing myth - of "health food" as a privilege that only the relatively wealthy can enjoy. a bourgeois myth which ironically (or, again, not) communists are in this case buying into.

anyway the cultural chauvinism comes from how you say it, not what you're saying. if you put it across in a sneering, superior way then sure, it's kinda offensive & people won't listen. I'm all about positively encouraging - not ordering - people to eat better. & explaining why it will be to their benefit instead of just telling them it will be.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
This thread, along with its sister thread (although maybe in this case something like 'great-aunt thread' would be more appropriate? ;) ) is truly a thing of wonder. Will contribute once I think of something worthwhile to add.

swears

preppy-kei
re: Body image issues

I'd say that a lot of this stuff is actually displaced anxiety about other things. I used to hate the way I looked, but it wasn't really about looks, it was about losing certain people in my life and feeling alienated and alone. I'm just a normal looking guy really. Instead of thinking about the really painful and important things, I could obsess about being too short or paranoid bollocks about girls hating me or whatever. And the ironic thing is, since I started really getting into a good diet and running and weights to look better, I've actually felt better because it's the best thing for my brain chemistry, far better than being on bloody SSRIs or god knows what else I'd be prescribed.