the "i'm rubbish, help me please" thread

STN

sou'wester
I think so, but I'm no expert. Your landlord should sort it out; it doesn't sound very safe.

Will I have to get John Eden to come and cast protective sigils? It could be some kind of lycanthrope.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's a Residual-Current Device. It's a white box that switches off the circuit if the current has gone haywire. It stops everything blowing up. If you only have one RCD for the entire house then any fault will knock out your electricity. This is called a "nuisance trip" and if the RCD is not functioning correctly you can get lots of them.

Simon78

I keep hearing this scratching noise in my loft, mostly at night (11pm) and in the morning (4am). It definitely sounds like a creature, but the pest control people have found nothing. Roofers have blocked all the holes but still it continues. What can it be? Some sort of hobgoblin?

It's driving me mental anyway.

I had this, Its definitetly squirrels. It was always around the same time of night as you and it really did my head in. The only way I could get rid of them was to some put heavy duty chicken wire all the way around the edge of the roof on the inside to stop them getting in through the gap (there is a small gap between the roof and the wall to let air circulate).

They will be partying outside all day and coming in at 11 to sleep and then I suppose they must be getting ready to go out again at 4?

I tried a trap but they never went for it. Went up in the roof once and the insulation started moving next to where my head was poking through the loft hatch and a squirrel jumped out in front of me. I screamed :D

Since I (my dad actually, lol) put the wire mesh down there have been no more noises or squirrels about, happy days.

Simon78

Cool, if you go for the wire its got to be strong enough that they can't gnaw through it and with small enough holes so that they can't squeeze through them. I think my Dad used quite a bit of it and it was a right pain to get to the edge of the roof and secure it in place. Well worth it though.

STN

sou'wester
Well this is the thing, I can't actually get to the edge of the roof (it's much too low), but then the roofers didn't mention there was a gap. I think they might be getting in from next door, so i'm going to speak to my neighbours about it.

Simon78

Could be. I used to have 2 up there and I could see them run along the fence outside, up the wall and then they got in where the roof and wall met. I think there was a certain point that they were using that was easy to get in?

Every night they were living it up in my roof making loads of noise. Good luck getting rid of them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hang on, is nobody impressed by my electrical skills?

Ha, just yesterday I was going to write "That English Lit with Electrical Engineering degree really comes in handy, eh Ollie?" but I thought it would be construed as a bit patronising.

On the basis that someone with an arts background is probably incapable of changing torch batteries without electrocuting himself...

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
Next month my brother is moving out and I'm going to have to look for a roommate. The problem is that the two rooms are not exactly soundproof as they are connected by a huge wooden double door. Living together with my brother I couldn't have bothered less about this situation but now that, well, a stranger moves in I wonder what one can do about setting up some kind of sound insulation? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hang on, is nobody impressed by my electrical skills?
OK, I admit it, I was impressed - can you come round and fit one for me?

"On the basis that someone with an arts background is probably incapable of changing torch batteries without electrocuting himself..."
I did a maths degree and the same applies unfortunately.

STN

sou'wester
the foul beasts are still up there! I'm going mental worrying they'll chew through wires and cause a fire. Apparently it's legal to trap them in a sack and bludgeon them to death but I don't have the heart for that...

STN

sou'wester
My mum grew up in rural america and thinks i'm being a big jessie, as she once found an elk or a wendigo or something living in her loft.

STN

sou'wester
turns out rentokill are rubbish and i'm not, cos i caught the little bushy-tailed beast first go!

STN

sou'wester
No, in a cage. I briefly toyed with the idea of cooking it, then decided that would be ludicrous.