the "i'm rubbish, help me please" thread

viktorvaughn

the foul beasts are still up there! I'm going mental worrying they'll chew through wires and cause a fire. Apparently it's legal to trap them in a sack and bludgeon them to death but I don't have the heart for that...

Did you assassinate it in the end then?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
No, in a cage. I briefly toyed with the idea of cooking it, then decided that would be ludicrous.

Have you not read the 'flavours' thread? People are cooking fucking pig's heads over there - it's a wonder the ALF haven't got involved yet

STN

sou'wester
it was about the size of a kangaroo.

Baboon, I did read something in one of the papers about cooking squirrel, and my ponce of a chef mate (claimed he) was well up for it. Still, next time I'm poverty stricken...

viktorvaughn

i reckon maybe a slow braise / pot roast sort of thing till really tender in a nice thick sauce. i think i read it's like wild rabbit

STN

sou'wester
right, I know this sounds ludicrous but this is the uselessness thread, so: i'm drowning in paper and I simply don't know what to do with all the stuff i can't really throw away so it just sort of sits around in piles, cos like some of it there's not enough of to justify keeping a file or what have you. Anyone got any good filing tips? I'm administratively American but live in the UK so loads of my papers are awkwardly shaped.

God, I am pathetic, dissensus, help me where my untidy parents have failed me!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
right, I know this sounds ludicrous but this is the uselessness thread, so: i'm drowning in paper and I simply don't know what to do with all the stuff i can't really throw away so it just sort of sits around in piles, cos like some of it there's not enough of to justify keeping a file or what have you. Anyone got any good filing tips? I'm administratively American but live in the UK so loads of my papers are awkwardly shaped.

God, I am pathetic, dissensus, help me where my untidy parents have failed me!

Er, ring binders with plastic pocket envelopes inside? They're eternally useful.

john eden

male pale and stale
boxfiles and magazine files are the only way to go.

stick them on a shelf or on top of a wardrobe and forget about them

STN

sou'wester
thanks, but what filing categories do you use? I was thinking bank/bills/NHS stuff/citizenship stuff...

I also have to renew my passport which I really can't be arsed to do.

Sorry, I know what a dick I sound whinging that I can't be arsed to get a document that I'm very lucky to have and that many people in the world would desperately want.

john eden

male pale and stale
thanks, but what filing categories do you use? I was thinking bank/bills/NHS stuff/citizenship stuff...

I also have to renew my passport which I really can't be arsed to do.

Sorry, I know what a dick I sound whinging that I can't be arsed to get a document that I'm very lucky to have and that many people in the world would desperately want.

Oh god I dunno. Utilities/Job/Receipts and guarantees/House stuff/bank/tax and job.

john eden

male pale and stale
oh yeah - receipts and guarantees - good one.

I think the main thing is just thinking up a bunch of categories and shoving it all in there. Oh and labelling it. There is no perfect filing system but anything which orders all this shit is better than piles of stuff strewn around the place. You can always refine it all when you get time.

It's also worth having a think about how much you need to get through the post - I stopped getting sent paper bank statements a while back cos I do it all online now and it really cuts down on the amount of crap lying about and the filing thereof.

STN

sou'wester
yeah, i cancelled my paper statements but they still send me loads of shit, most of which gets shredded and chucked in the recycling.

Might buy a filing cabinet.

STN

sou'wester
My washing machine gives off a weird and evil smell when I run it. Anyone know how to sort this out?

PeteUM

It's all grist
Probably no help but ours used to have a little circular hatch under the door which you could open and clean the filter out. That is the sum total of my washing machine expertise.