When did dubstep lose the plot?

when did dubstep lose the plot?

• Total voters

gumdrops

ever heard Mala?

i didnt say *all* dubstep was like how i described, just that that was the type of stuff i wasnt too into. eg - my fave dubstep allstars comp is the kode 9 one, rather than the youngsta or hatcha ones (though they do have some good stuff too). but yeah i liked tunes like lean fwd.

ever heard Roska or Hard House Banton?

who?

joking aside, yes, they have some bass, but its not *heavy*. it doesnt really drop that low.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Should have been more like this, no?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's hilarious!

I love that record. I just don't want to listen to it all night.

Disappointed to see Eden diluting his anti-dubstep position :D

nomos

Administrator
2006 - but early. MAH's Dubstep Warz (March) was the obvious tipping point but it was already in the mail before Christmas. It didn't help at all that labels - there still weren't that many, then - persisted with a lot of samey, dark halfstep stuff while a growing amount of up-style, inventive, pre-wonky stuff stayed on dubplate for a year or longer. so you had all of these people coming in thinking dubstep was just about dark, hard and heavy, and having it confirmed in spades by the limited scope of the the releases. they imprinted on that singular thing as the be all of dubstep. and i remember being desperate for the variety that i was hearing in some sets, only to have to wait until about the beginning of 2007 to actually play it out. by then, for example, the north american 'scene' didn't want to hear anything but sub-plod.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
these days sub plod is the least of anyone's (dubstep) worries. i play it because it makes a refreshing change lol!

nomos

Administrator
haha, yes. i played a whole set of it to a room of youngers a few weeks ago. 'course they didn't really get moving until someone brought out the can opener tunes.

alex

Do not read this.
can opener tunes.

its annoying though because BOMB @ Cafe 1001, hardly ever packs out, yet...

Line-up this year has included:

Braiden
Heny G
Pangaea

(Fair enough the Pangaea one wa spretyy full, not alot though, cant b arsed to include more lineups, would take brain power)

But, i must of went there on another thursday when it wasnt bomb & pur LFO Raping & it was packed & people were getting hype...

Spanners

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
The cockney thug thing last year, once that sound had got linked to that 'hilarious' style it was pretty much over. Plenty of other interesting hybrids going on but i think the sort of pure dubstep from 05/06 is over.

It was dubstep's rhubarb & custard cartoon moment

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Re the couple of mentiones of Cockney Thug: I (like most people I would expect)quite like it, but the interesting about it is that although obv it has that big wub-wub sound going right through it, it doesn't really sound like what I would understand this idea of 'heavy metal wobble' to be. More like a dubstep equivalent of happy hardcore, if such thing is conceivable. :slanted:

Apologies to gumdrops and anyone else who likes it, but I would have to say that I've really disliked almost all of the dubstep that I've heard Tubby playing of late. But perhaps I've just been unlucky.

Edit: chuckle @ the cheeky sods voting for 2002. :D

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
when metal lingo started being used e.g. "brutal", "moshing".. I think this was around 2007. what a horrible fate.

hopper

The smoking ban... a joke but I think that the music did really change from being all about stoned swagger/paranoia/dub-echo to being proper 'rave' music - big bolshy synths, 'who's got the biggest drop' contests etc. at a certain point. It was probably a number of factors, including trying to export the music from small dark loud spaces like PP to big rooms where the sound wasn't good enough to make sub-bass interesting.

As much as I hate a lot of wobble and the expectations/crowd its created, I think you could say that it was a neccessary evolution - I mean, I always bang on about how great 2005/6 were but if it had carried on down that gloomy half-step road it would have got boring eventually... Divorce a lot of these tunes from their context ('Night', 'Spongebob' etc) and they can sound pretty great. And stuff by artists like Joker/Gemmy/Zomby has benefited from the shift in emphasis from minimalist/sub-bass to colourful synths and an unhinged feel.

Think corpsey hit the nail on the head right there. I only started going to dubstep nights in late 2006 but things were turning a bit from mid 2007 to late 2007 I think. There was suddenly big shifts in dynamic like dubstep in fabric being quite a big one for example. I think corpsey is probably right in saying that the producer's needed to change the sound to fill out the big rooms... Suddenly more people starting picking up on this and then with caspa and rusko doing fabric residencies and with more and more people picking up on that too it just snowballed. I think Skream has been a big part in this too, he would get the biggest bookings etc. and I think his productions have steadily decreased since 2006 really and his sets became completely unbearable. I can't watch a skream set at all anymore which is such a shame as when I saw him in 2006 he would absolutely smack it right everytime with tunes like make me, and he'd play things like the cays crays remix. The last bunch of times I've seen him he's endlessly played mindless messes like metal mouth, kick snare, big black spider (or whatever its called) and he'd pull them all up after about 2 bars of the drop and everything - it's really pretty terrible in honesty.

I think a lot of the big names are to blame really, even DMZ has turned into shit. I didn't have to think twice about not going last saturday. They seem to just invite their pals to come along and play most of the time. The DMZ v Loefah sets have been really stale as well for the past year or so, Mala never seems to play any of his best tunes in them. Whenever I see him play out he normally plays things like truth, coki, goth trad and I'm really not feeling it much. Coki's tunes just don't do it for me like they used to either....

Although there is still a lot of good nights out there, the spirit which was at it's core is completely gone and there is no community. A while back I could pitch up at any night and see at least 20 familiar faces or thereabouts. Fwd sunday is definitely good musically, and I love the early finish but it's not the same as the old dubstep nights

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

when metal lingo started being used e.g. "brutal", "moshing".. I think this was around 2007. what a horrible fate.

yet entirely predictable.

i'd say it was after the crest of the third wave... so that would have been 2006. tho i never really bothered listening after kalawanji, which was some kind of zenith, for me anyhow.

market timetables dictate you have roughly 5 years from the genesis to the peak of a given form imo. doesn't mean you can't milk it for as long as poss after that point though...

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Re the couple of mentiones of Cockney Thug: I (like most people I would expect)quite like it, but the interesting about it is that although obv it has that big wub-wub sound going right through it, it doesn't really sound like what I would understand this idea of 'heavy metal wobble' to be. More like a dubstep equivalent of happy hardcore, if such thing is conceivable. :slanted:

Can someome help me here.I stopped paying strict attention around 2006.Over exposure to the demon 'half step' got to me.The 'wub-wub' Cockney Thug thing I get,but 'heavy metal wobble'?.Can someone point me in the direction of some examples? If I think Distance am I going wide of the mark?

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

echevarian

babylon sister

I guess I think of heavy metal wobble as sounding like this.

I really really miss the old Distance, the one who still used breaks.

The guy who made Nomad and Fallen (not to mention Empire).

It pisses me off that some of the worst offenders for this stuff came out of breakstep: Distance, Caspa, Reso.

I'm a metalhead, I listen to some music that this board would find extremely irritating.

And a lot of the remains of electrohouse are sidling up to wobble and creating something really goddamn weird right now.

Like this :

Or this: http://www.mediafire.com/?mnh2dzyrdzh

Basically Caspa x MSTRKRFT + a lot of bored DnB producers.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
Reso^ is a very diverse producer though, it wouldnt be fair to tarnish all his productions the same.

Completely agree with nearly everything hopper said.

echevarian

babylon sister
Regarding Reso, I'm talking about the stuff he does along the lines of Metal Slug.

Not so much Toasted or some of his other more atmospheric stuff.

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
The 'wub-wub' Cockney Thug thing I get,but 'heavy metal wobble'?.Can someone point me in the direction of some examples? If I think Distance am I going wide of the mark?

I'd still say Distance is more towards the spacious end of things, doesn't mean it's any good though.

some of the worst examples of metalstep: