When did dubstep lose the plot?

when did dubstep lose the plot?

• Total voters

nomos

Administrator
'ancient memories' is indelibly linked to the 7/7 bombings for me. i'd just come back from there. i turned on at the usual time expecting dead air or a repeat. but then that track came wafting in with task talking about the events. very solemn. i don't think he said 'gash' for a good 15 minutes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Youngsta 2005 sets...

If only I had all the time in the world to rant about how thingz was better in the old days

Lethem

Interloper out 1st of Oct
About the same time the Bouncer at FWD stopped making you read the Music Policy sign when you entered Plastic People.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Summer of 2007: when Night and Spongebob and Cockney Thug were anthems. Shit wasn't exactly what it is now then (I liked all the above mentioned tunes), but there was a definite feeling around that time that if things went a certain way they would get a lot worse.

Also I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned N-Type. In my mind, he had a lot more to do with encouraging that mid-range, ravey sound to come through, for at least a year leading up to that summer.

viktorvaughn

Yeah N Type is definitely a bit guilty there, i listened to samples of tracks from the new rinse comp and god some are terrible. I think i was in denial about benga, that the man who made the judgement, crunked up and more was making such appalling stuff, all the tracks on the new mix sounded awful. are any of the original croydon crew doing anything good any more???!

alex

Do not read this.
Yea Mala, until he releases those tunes like Drunken Swagger/Living Different/Jah Power Dub/Pop Pop Epic/Unexpected, then he will still be a badman...

D1 is also pushing boundaries, although he is Fulham...but I think of him as a croydon head..

Also, Loefah needs to urry up & release Boiler Suit (we will never see woman unfortunately)

Skream is still as diverse, although I am a bit dubious after looking over recent t/L's..

Coki has fell off a bit...Spongebob merrhh...And Road Rage, what the fuck is that, seriously??..

alex

Do not read this.
About the same time the Bouncer at FWD stopped making you read the Music Policy sign when you entered Plastic People.

421360058_bf00b440e0.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You know it's weird cos I'm always banging on about how I hate wobble but I saw N-Type at DMZ a while back and it was a good set to end the night too pissed on

He smashes those tunes in and out the way they should be. The worst thing is when a DJ plays one of those wobblers for the full five minutes.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
You know it's weird cos I'm always banging on about how I hate wobble but I saw N-Type at DMZ a while back and it was a good set to end the night too pissed on

He smashes those tunes in and out the way they should be. The worst thing is when a DJ plays one of those wobblers for the full five minutes.

Yeah I've noticed when those sort of tunes are played out that everyone goes nuts for the drop and then within 20-30 seconds after it they've mostly slowed down to a trudge again. Not seen or heard a full N-Type set yet (must have been under a rock, etc) but his does seem to be the logical way to play long numbers of those tunes back to back; just throw the in the mix briefly, focusing on the hight points in each track.

raffia

where to start - maybe - dubstep lost the plot when - crap producers decided to jump on it cause its now a money maker - and still managed to get all the 'real/credible/originator' dj's to actually play their stuff. chase+status/nero etc innit.

blackpixie

im a big fan of n-type, i always try and listen to his rinse set but sometimes his track selection is a little weird

on one of his recent sets he played noah d's "seriousss" and then went right into that tune that samples the drill sergeant from "full metal jacket" dunno the name but its really really "hard" and is constantly blaring let me see your war face.... war face war face. then the set was over.

not sure what to make of it but it just seems like such a split between such a synthesized tune (seriousss) that reminds me of joker (who drops it all the time) vs a track where head banging seems like the only way to dance to it.