When did dubstep lose the plot?

when did dubstep lose the plot?

• Total voters

mms

sometimes
i picked my uni aged sister up from town last night and was listening to a recent rinse podcast and they mentioned 'why not? - a dubstep festival' (i was listening to rekless. go me) and she said "dubstep? are you a stoner?"

so it's definitely lost the plot.

what like dubstep producers don't promote weed and aren't massive stoners themselves, that's weird i'd always thought it was about champers and charley, fuck wrong genre.

Last edited:

unclerico

Spongebob was a tipping point

doesn't seem fair that this is seen by some as the epitomy of "wobble"

i think caspa, rusko and skream have done most to promote the horrible, grating mid range "banger"

coki is a musical maverick and is one of the most versatile and original producers out there

don_quixote

Trent End
what like dubstep producers don't promote weed and aren't massive stoners themselves, that's weird i'd always thought it was about champers and charley, fuck wrong genre.

it wasnt really about the weed comment. more how it's reached her frame of reference. on the reciprocal her driving me home from a night out we had jimmy eat world:mad::eek:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
So dubstep's gone overground and is now appealing to some appalling people who cherish appalling, grating tunes?

So what? The dubstep thread on here clearly shows that there's more than enough amazing stuff out there still.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I really feel the haircut angle from the original post is being neglected here.

You could certainly eke plenty of haircut mileage from minimal dons like Richie Hawtin but, you know, what has dubstep done for you lately?

mms

sometimes
it wasnt really about the weed comment. more how it's reached her frame of reference. on the reciprocal her driving me home from a night out we had jimmy eat world:mad::eek:

yes well there are a thousand things you can say about that but calm down it's not worth it etc...

mms

sometimes
So dubstep's gone overground and is now appealing to some appalling people who cherish appalling, grating tunes?

So what? The dubstep thread on here clearly shows that there's more than enough amazing stuff out there still.

exactly.
there s loads of good stuff, aldo loads of other good stuff, wonky funky, whatever whats the point in wallowing in the mud.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Whatever you classify it as, the stuff Joker and Guido are coming out with is, for my money, the most thrilling new music I've heard in the past five (?) years.

mos dan

fact music
Whatever you classify it as, the stuff Joker and Guido are coming out with is, for my money, the most thrilling new music I've heard in the past five (?) years.

don't tell the menopausalists! new music isn't allowed to be thrilling anymore. *puts on untold fact mix again*

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
don't tell the menopausalists! new music isn't allowed to be thrilling anymore. *puts on untold fact mix again*

Sorry. It's alright, but it's not as good as The Jam.

Btw, does anyone know the provenance of the strings on Stuck in a System - just amazing...

alex

Do not read this.
Well it is obvious that dubstepz has lost the plot, when blackdowns article discussion on dsf, not only reached twelve pages, (shorter than the time it took for me to crap last weeks curry), but has also now been been locked...tutut :p

BareBones

wheezy
Could you post up a decent bassline mix continuum? I quite like some tunes I've heard but I hardly see how much of it could be described as any less 'functional' and 'soulless' than the average Rusko tune.

shocking! bassline = a million times sexier than rusko.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Well it is obvious that dubstepz has lost the plot, when blackdowns article discussion on dsf, not only reached twelve pages, (shorter than the time it took for me to crap last weeks curry), but has also now been been locked...tutut :p
God that Surface Tension guy is an arse. That was an unusually sensible discussion for DSF until he stuck his oar in...

alex

Do not read this.
yea man, that release is shocking. Now breathe, everything is okay...

shit, I wasnt breathing up until that point because everything was NOT okay.

edit* its a shame really, because that release (especially the Geiomix) is fire.

Last edited:

blackpixie

God that Surface Tension guy is an arse. That was an unusually sensible discussion for DSF until he stuck his oar in...

yeah idk.. that type of mentality has been floating about on dsf for a while now.

as for the doom of dubstep... im not too concerned as long as joker and the like are still makin tunes.

dubstep still has the
Bristol: Joker, Guido, Gemmy
Hyperdub: has allways been ridiculously innovative
Keysound Recordings
Joy Orbison

this is just off the top of my head

Blackdown

nexKeysound

yes there's nothing quite like going away for the weekend only for the trolls to stick the boot in while you're away, now is there. f**king c*nts.

nochexxx

harco pronting
l_9559bc04783342559fc8de6b466196ef.jpg

mms

sometimes
dubstep against wookies!~
can someone post a link to that thread i'm interested in response and can't find