Hyphy vs Jerkin

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Great stuff.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There's been a reversal in urban fashion to tight clothes, prepster stuff... really weird, it's like white hipster/geek fashion infiltrated the hood. I am trying to think of other recent examples where white boho culture inflected black culture in such a noticeable way and I'm coming up short.

The cool style where I live (D.C.) is tight dark jeans, big Nike dunks, medium length dreads with a baseball cap perched on top all akilter. Age 12-15 wear their pants even tighter. See lots of DMC-style geek glasses too. The upside is I don't get made fun of for my pants any more since the kids rock them tighter than I do! I haven't read anything that's come close to getting a handle on all this weird signification...

gyto

mm loving this one!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lazybrowndog

There's been a reversal in urban fashion to tight clothes, prepster stuff... really weird, it's like white hipster/geek fashion infiltrated the hood. I am trying to think of other recent examples where white boho culture inflected black culture in such a noticeable way and I'm coming up short.

If memory serves correct the fashion at the cliquey high school raves and house parties where the Beleville three developed their early sound was very white/preppy oriented - black detroit kids listening to numan/kraftwerk etc an wearing pringle .. can't remember where i read this though - maybe in "last night a dj saved my life" ...

grizzleb

If memory serves correct the fashion at the cliquey high school raves and house parties where the Beleville three developed their early sound was very white/preppy oriented - black detroit kids listening to numan/kraftwerk etc an wearing pringle .. can't remember where i read this though - maybe in "last night a dj saved my life" ...
You could probably assume it just from the shit they were listening to. Can't beat the synthesis, in more ways than one I guess.

benjybars

village elder.
mm loving this one!

that is so heavy.

sounds nuff like a zomby beat.

this music... rah.

*moves to california*

Gavin

booty bass intellectual

Great point, didn't think about that, though Detroit was a mistranslation of imported records and fashion mags. The new stuff seems to be a result of more face-to-face interaction, possibly through gentrification (but also internet removing spatiality from subcultures) -- why else are they dressing like Brooklyn hipsters?

Appropriation of Italian mafia imagery might fit into this too, but it's not quite the same...

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi

loving it...

skinny jeans anthem -> i need weed radar pings -> fat chick alert

slaying

that kick is tooo much

Last edited:

tyranny

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Absolutely incredible

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
Great stuff.

I thought most of these kids were preppy and not from the hood? That or they are just dressing like their scene's main sample "You're a jerk"

Urkle.jpg

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Though a lot of the songs connect the fashion to white people... "Look so fresh in my white girl clothes," calling out brands like Abercrombie that have taken flak for their lily-white marketing campaigns... Reverse exoticism, love it.

Not unlike some of the recent dirty south nods to whiteboy party culture & slang: "Party Like A Rockstar," etc.

Plies: "I don't wear tight jeans like the white boys/But I do get wasted like the white boys" -- looks like some younger kids will take it to that level.

CrowleyHead

Going to play the 'young people' card. *ahem*

Usually in the case of the growing 'urkel' phenomenon among younger kids, it comes from a desire to emulate the newer generation. Guys who take effort to attempt to look hood in America are now frowned upon, as not only is it a put-on, it also looks obnoxious. It's possibly reactionary to the 'baggy t' movement of a couple of years ago. The kids look on the TV, and whereas... say, the seniors of my high-school were trying to look like various dudes from 'on the street', the new breed now try to mimic Wayne and Kanye's more adventurous look. After all, it's a lot easier to know how to look original if you're not shopping in the same 'urban' clothing stores as your older brothers. Also, simply put, dressing nicer implies you're 'doing well'. Easy to impress girls if you don't dress like her drop-out older brother who's still banging Jim Jones or what not.

I'm surprised at how much it severely astounds rappers. I mean, Beanie Siegel goes down as the best famous rapper comment on Skinny Jeans. "Niggaz in the hood think Kanye and Pharell look cool.... That's not cool!"

So many rappers pass through my father's studio who are... only in their mid to late 20s even, and they are borderline obsessed with skinny jeans. It's seriously representative of a generational gap as far as I'm concerned.

And oh yeah, Jerk is all great in my book. That last tune was gold.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
who heard L.V drop a Pink Dollarz tune at the Hyperdub birthday last night???

one of the highlights of the year for me hearing that on a big system

who heard L.V drop a Pink Dollarz tune at the Hyperdub birthday last night???

Which one? any more videos or mixes of this stuff would be sweet. Baby Dollz 'My cookie' might just be the freshest sounding, most addictive thing i've heard this year.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Article in the Sunday Times on Jerkin': http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/fashion/22jerking.html?ref=fashion

Doesn't go too deep, unfortunately. But it's another opportunity for that "it's like gangsta never happened" narrative for new hip hop (didn't they say this about Missy/Timbo in the beginning of the '00s?). Obv didn't listen to the lyrics of any of the songs too much -- the graphic sex chat is straight out of the Eazy E oeuvre.

Nice photos though.