Hyphy vs Jerkin

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Can you buy this stuff anywhere? I'm guessing it doesn't get anywhere near vinyl.

Several of acts behind the bigger songs have been picked up by major labels... New Boyz ("You're a Jerk") have an album out on CD, dunno about vinyl -- promos probably end up in used bins here in the states.

benjybars

village elder.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

still CANING that matthew africa jerk mix from last year.

some of the instrumentals would sound fuckin immense on a big system. has a weird sort of loefah aesthetic.

hint

party record with a siren

hint

Getting swingy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

benjybars

village elder.
dance battle in this video looks pretty hype..

this music is the only reason i would like to go to america

BareBones

wheezy
so anyway what's going on with jerk these days? haven't heard any for ages. is j hawk still making good beats? what's happening with pink dollaz? any good recent mixtapes or mixes to check out etc?

hint

The volume of new tracks seems to have slowed down a bit. At least, it has in the places where I used to hear about things.

I think maybe the tracks and acts that were predicted to blow up didn't & the big money moved on?

The Rangers seem to be going for a more trad. Hip Hop sound. Don't really know if this is considered Jerk. Is that a Reese bass?

I like a lot of YB's stuff:

Wes Nyle too:

CrowleyHead

Basically, it's a lot of lowest-common-denominator stuff blowing up, the negative side to having such a big youth movement. Right now, YG, who was never that guy in jerk is the biggest star with him having a No. 1 single and getting signed to Def Jam.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uWlMhiEL9Mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New Boyz have already been selling their soul for peanuts...
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/herLMUn2-U0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And J-Hawk STAYS working with shmucks, while he might be the greatest thing this scene ever produced.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JWZwLCKyR1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BareBones

wheezy
fuck that new boyz thing is so awful. what a shame. not really feeling those YB or wes nyle bits either and that rej3cts thing just shows how much better j hawk's beats are than anyone else (anyone else i know anyway). none of this sounds anywhere near as exciting as when i first heard pink dollaz or asia lynn etc

Last edited:

muser

yea JHawk is really running it from what I can see, no-one even compares really, he seems to gets best MCs aswell.

CrowleyHead

What annoys me is that nobody properly marketed the females... You had the first rap scene in like, forever, where the ratio was like 1 girl rapper for every 4 males. That shit's unheard of! AND NOBODY HANDLED IT PROPERLY.

I also think the team behind Young Money took minor stuff from Jerk and threw it at Nicki Minaj. Might be conspiracy, but I think that Asia Lynn was a minor influence on refining Nicki for "Beam Me Up Scotty".

muser

I also thought alot of Minaj tracks sounded massively influenced by Jerk/ and biting Asia Lynn, seen the comparison a few times in conversations.

not really related but still

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
i STILL batter that matthew africa jerk podcast from a couple of years ago.. some ridiculous beats on there..

what about dance-off videos like the ones posted upthread.. they still happening?

CrowleyHead

i STILL batter that matthew africa jerk podcast from a couple of years ago.. some ridiculous beats on there..

what about dance-off videos like the ones posted upthread.. they still happening?

Yeah but... It's like Pepsi endorsed contests, instructional videos all over the place. I'm sure somebody's offering teaching courses on it by now...

Juke has no idea how easy they have it.