Hall of Shame - pitiful events of immense embarrassment which you will never forget

zhao

there are no accidents
so far none is nearly as bad as mine. bun-u can attest to the devastation. and i forgot to mention that a lot of people were anticipating my set, including this girl who i fancied for the longest time.... oy. :confused::eek:

everyone in the bragging thread needs to post something here. non music ones welcome too.

(looking at you sickboy)

zhao

there are no accidents
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i feel bad for austria... i bet "Roman Serato" will never forget this one

bun-u

Trumpet Police
so far none is nearly as bad as mine. bun-u can attest to the devastation.

well I can attest to the floor being cleared but I think everyone just put it down to generic technical problems rather than attributing to you. We also had DJ Janeck going down a storm in the other room, which made getting them back difficult...

my mishaps are many, picking up the wrong needle - check. going up to heroes post gig and asking a really dumb question and deservedly getting blanked - check. also made a rather ill-informed 'speech' at the first Dirty Canvas - maybe encouraged by the fact I was in an art gallery, but very wrong!

zhao

there are no accidents
going up to heroes post gig and asking a really dumb question and deservedly getting blanked - check.

oh god. when i finally did meet Kevin Haskins (see bragging thread), the first thing i blurted out was "i have been a fan of bauhaus for years and years!" ... and this after the girl told me her dad is really shy and does not like too much attention. so i blew the chance of having dinner at their house, perhaps with Bowie. (yeah right, that kid? not cool) the shame...

also made a rather ill-informed 'speech' at the first Dirty Canvas - maybe encouraged by the fact I was in an art gallery, but very wrong!

oh the money i would pay to see that one! :D (if i had money that is)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
also made a rather ill-informed 'speech' at the first Dirty Canvas - maybe encouraged by the fact I was in an art gallery, but very wrong!

Ha - think I recall this, if it was the one with Ruff Sqwad? If it was, then believe me it probably seemed way more of a cock-up to you than to anyone listening - I'm only vaguely remembering it now thanks to your prompting.

As is usually the way with incredibly embarrassing moments.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
lost it so badly in nottingham djing once, couldn't hear shit on the earphones after the owner came over and turned the monitor up to the max, so couldn't mix for shit, then a needle skidded across the record, i was ill, i gave up, so shameful, a girl who played good but boring drum and bass came on to take over professionaly, it was bad because it was unexpected, i'm usually pretty good.

Djed after venetian snares once, and emptied the club, i don't have any breakcore records so i tried my luck with abrasive abstract techno and grime etc, the massively open minded fans weren't having it and the place was empty after 1/2 an hour, it was the last slot.

I like djing btw if anyone wants to book me please do ;)

also check the levels distorting and i dont realise, and the mixer-to-wrong-channel silence.

Last edited:
D

droid

I did the needle thing on an early radio show in 98.

Speaking of venetian Snares - I supported him and Mu-ziq a few years back, he (Snares) missed the original gig due to being unconsciously drunk at an airport, and he turned up at the 2nd gig with his own support DJ (C64) with whom I had to negotiate some time on the decks (he was sound though). Anyway, I asked snares if I could record his set onto DAT, he said fine, I set everything up in advance, was chatting to him backstage etc... come his set, about 30mins in, I ran over in front of him to check the levels on the recording. I was there for maybe 20 seconds when I looked up to see him lurching towards me, trying to grab me in an apoleptic fit of fury, I dodged, he managed to grab my cap and throw it into the crowd. I slunk back to the side of stage to the sound of his curses and cheers form the crowd...

Even though it wasn't my fault, and I got my hat back - it WAS embarassing. And that's also why I think Venetian Snares is a prick of the highest order.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
OK, music related ones narrows down my list a bit. Here's one for now:

The first club night I threw, a grime night in Toronto, I didn't know how to DJ at the time but I had all the records, so I got my friend who knew how a little better to do the whole set for me. We'd planned out the whole thing on a bit of paper: order of tracks, what pitch speeds they need to be set at to lock with the next one, very antithetical to real DJing. The night ended up being violently packed, and having set the doorman up, made a bunch of calls to get people to come there, sorted out guestlist, I found that while my DJ was working out very well off his cheat sheet, I had nothing to do. So first, I decided to get drunk.

OK, what I meant to say was extremely drunk. Then, naturally, I got the idea to MC the night. So I hassled the club owner into procuring a microphone, fucked around trying to plug it in and then unleashed around 2 and a half hours of what has been described to me (because I can't remember) as the weirdest, most surrealist internal monologue cum tirade cum karaoke session cum hype man performance the world might have ever seen. Some highlights: singing the wrong lyrics horribly over Streets songs, tirelessly berating people in the crowd, demanding free drinks, dedicating loads of songs to my ex-girlfriend, and at one point, pulling up a record to announce "Durrty Doogz has LEFT THE BUILDING!"

It was my friend Tyler, now with a club full of people looking over at him.

The night ended with me having to get crammed into a cab, leaving behind $1500 another mate had to argue with the club owner to take for me, and then having my aforementioned ex walk into my room the next morning to find me in a completely shattered bed, completely naked, with my new, fully-clothed girlfriend. Yes, new. It's amazing isn't it?

I remember walking out that morning and seeing like fifteen people I've never seen before strewn across my living room floor, with one outstretched hand holding $1500 high in the air.

Leo

not music related but: back in the pre-digital camera days, i was two days into a vacation before i noticed that the roll of film i loaded into my 35mm nikon hadn't threaded correctly and didn't advance...meaning i thought i'd taken about 20 photos, when in reality i hadn't taken any. i was crushed, and the butt of jokes for the rest of the vacation.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sick Boy wins this thread.

It's the final note of triumph-against-all-odds that really makes it.

continuum

smugpolice
That's an excellent story Sick Boy.

I went to a friend of a friend's house party in Manchester once. About 15 of us travelled all the way there - three or four of us DJs with a mixture of drum n bass, house and grime stowed in the boot. We got there very early and found the sound system set up in the kitchen. We immediately started DJing taking it in turns and getting completely pissed. By about 9pm we were all fucked and had already had complaints from the neighbours. No one else had turned up yet but were reliably told the host's uni friends would start turning up about 11pm. In order to keep us going the pills got passed round and by about half ten we were all gurning our tits off. Thirty minutes later the host's quite posh uni friends turned up and after walking in to see the fifteen of us dancing madly to grime (unknown music to most people at the time) quickly disappeared off to a different part of the house to have their party lol. I woke up the next day in a bed I'd got into with a couple who lived in the house. Apparently I was so fucked I'd walked round the whole house with my trousers round my ankles before deciding on this particular spot to sleep. Unsurprisingly the couple vacated the bed and left me to pass out. The group I'd come up with decided that my car should be left in a field about a mile away as punishment which got bogged down in mud when we tried to get it out the next day. Eventually we managed to free it after a long time and I always get reminded of it!

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
barging dub boy out of the way so i could regale the crowd with a minute and a half of total silence before accidentally airing Sizzla's views on beheading gays (he's broadly in favour of this, you know). Dub Boy took it very well, removed the offending record and gently shooed me away. Someone else on this board disgraced themself that night. They know who they are.

Letting a dog into the DJ booth during my set and being locked out of it as a preventative measure

I knocked a girl out by mistake once, by smashing her head against a radiator. Fucking embarrassing. Ten years on we can have a chuckle about it, but sweet jesus.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Playing at a jungle rave in Brixton where the sound had started to mess up before my set I cued up a carefully chosen excerpt from a Mahler symphony as an intro and no sooner had I crossed to it than the engineer decided to take the mixer apart...so I stood...and the crowd all stood...as the symphony played on...and on...and on...:eek:

BareBones

wheezy
i once went up to a big car leaving a gig which i thought had beyonce in it, i was really pissed and, waving happily through the window, shouted "seeya beyonce!" only to be confronted with kanye west and jay-z staring at me like i was the biggest prick ever, which to be fair i probably was.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I knocked a girl out by mistake once, by smashing her head against a radiator. Fucking embarrassing. Ten years on we can have a chuckle about it, but sweet jesus.

hahahahahahha
to be fair, I once kicked an old girlfriend in the head when trying to demonstrate that I could most certainly kick OVER her head from a standing position.
That was also embarassing.