Hall of Shame - pitiful events of immense embarrassment which you will never forget

mucsavage

Hopefully this is such a classic fuck up that most people have done it at some point.

Playing to a packed room with everyone dancing and going crazy, finished a long mix and then took the needle off the wrong record plunging the room into silence......

True tumbleweed moment :eek:

I've done this loads while pissed, laughed at myself, apologised to everyone and put the needle back.

Everybody laughs, realises your fucked and gets a good buzz of it.

Except the chin strokers, but they can head off

No biggie really :cool:

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Tripping on my gown & falling face-down in the lap of the duchess of somewhere in front of my entire family when accepting my degree was pretty embarrassing, as was suddenly & hideously vomiting in the lap of my boss on a flight to the US in the first week of my first ever journalist job.

Music related stuff … about a month ago my band played a set at 333 & we all turned up in bad moods ‘cos the organiser of the night had decided that his band would also play & he’d put himself above us in the bill. After our set we had a lot of drinks & then I decided I was too annoyed to stay, so I barged through the crowd & onstage where the organiser’s band were setting up, started packing my gear up & trooping it offstage in front of the singer. This all took about five minutes & I was moving stuff around, unplugging cables, shouting to people from the stage, talking to the band, everything. When I walked offstage people started shouting at me & it was only then that I realised the band were in the middle of their set & everyone thought I’d done some hugely bitter disrespectful Jarvis-like ‘intervention’. I’m still trying to convince people it was accidental.

Another embarrassing moment was playing a set at Torture Garden which was supposed to be a kindof super-delicate half-hour cover of ‘The Power of Love’ with piano, double-bass & counter-tenor, only the dance room next door was separated from the stage by a curtain so nobody, including us, could hear a thing. We just hammered away at our instruments making helpless faces at each other while everybody left to dance, and then walked offstage after making inaudible 'playing motions' for twenty minutes to an empty floor. The organiser said it was, “really transporting”.

I also did a radio show on Resonance where the producer passed out on junk the second we arrived leaving us with an empty studio & 40 minutes of dead air to fill with desperate improvised music-free live chat. It got so patently hopeless that it bypassed the ‘art’ barrier & someone actually called the station offering to save us. This guy, totally unrelated to Resonance, drove to the studio from his house, plugged everything in, the mix started & then the show ended :D

zhao

there are no accidents
When I walked offstage people started shouting at me & it was only then that I realised the band were in the middle of their set

so it was a "free" band and you thought they were tuning they instruments? haha thats what people always say about free music innit...

CHAOTROPIC

on account
so it was a "free" band and you thought they were tuning they instruments? haha thats what people always say about free music innit...

Even worse, it was a coldwave synth-pop duo. They were 'looking moody' apparently. How was I to know?? :p

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Even worse, it was a coldwave synth-pop duo. They were 'looking moody' apparently. How was I to know?? :p

Ha, that just makes me think of:

I am Electro Boy...

boosh-741009.jpg

...I am Electro Girl

DJ PIMP

Train-wrecking in front of Ed Rush in 96 (touring NZ when he was thrillingly underground/hot) for basically an entire set was a long, grinding cringe.

Also being fucked on acid, totally delusional, its NYE, I'm attempting to blag my way onto the decks because yes I am The Techno Messiah, snapping out of it when the DJ instantly realises my wobbly state, looks me in the eye and yells FUCK - OFF. Realising where I am and that its taken roughly 5 highly disoriented minutes to make my way to the decks and I've been blustering around banging into people like a pack of spastics trying to fuck a greasy door handle. That was good too. More of a laugh than the first one tho.

I took the needle off the wrong record more times than I care to remember. It stopped phasing me after a while... fuck it, DJs are so prissy about that kind of thing.

took the needle off the wrong record

I do this fairly often, now I am able to just stand there and stare down the crowd as if I did it on purpose to hype them up.
Often I'll then just leave a gap while I slowly find the next record in a rather arrogant way.

Worst gigs for me have always been getting boked by the wrong promoter for the wrong event, eg. yeah come and play with your live synthpop band in the middle of our gabber night etc, cos the promoter's girlfriend likes it... even though the crowd of course hate it.

ether

... And that's also why I think Venetian Snares is a prick of the highest order.

a club in Nottingham where i occasionally dj-ed had a sticker behind the decks which read 'venetian snares is a cunt' i always thought he probably put it there, now i suspect it was probably a disgruntled support dj.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Playing to a packed room with everyone dancing and going crazy, finished a long mix and then took the needle off the wrong record plunging the room into silence......

yup done that, at a wedding even, at a big rave thought i'd be cool and just turn the deck off to bring off the tune except unlike the technics this numark deck just stops dead....:eek:

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Worst gigs for me have always been getting boked by the wrong promoter for the wrong event, eg. yeah come and play with your live synthpop band in the middle of our gabber night etc, cos the promoter's girlfriend likes it... even though the crowd of course hate it.

i remember a night in a club near leeds....