Ramadanman / Pearson Sound

shaolinsoul

the guys just awesome. He held it down last night in LA right before N-Type came on. Ramadan just destroyed the place with next level bushman bass! His tunes hit really low and are quite powerful, just perfect on that soundsystem. The rythms physically made me want to dance, not like your average drudge-step drop induced feeling. Shame the crowd wasnt showing no love! I think I heard some boos.. Out to Ramadan who didnt even break a sweat! oh well maybe next year.

Didnt catch much of n-type tho i knew what was coming...i left after the set turned into very bland Benga'ish style ketamine rollers and him hyping every track. Great entertainer tho.

alex

Do not read this.
someone like zomby i think feels a lot fresher and 'alive' and of the 'now'.

would like to agree, however, the new ep should be arriving with me today. After hearing that "Godzilla" track on youtube, cant help feeling that it sounds a bit weak..

the LAZomby who posted the spoof thing on dubstepforum (which immediately got taken down) (2wice) doesnt actually sound far from what I hear...

hope that lazers tune is either on there/forthcoming, havent seen the t/L yet..

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
(In general, I think I tend to switch position between sharing the views of the people who are head-over-heels about his tunes, and sharing the views of those who are more cautious with their praise, but....)
Does anyone know if his remix of the Wickeda tune ever came out? Or if not, if and when it is due for release in the future? I was really loving that one a wee while back. :)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I like some of Ramadanman's production, namely "Carla" and "Revenue", but all this Pearson Sound stuff, and this tendency towards dub-techno that has been occuring over the last couple of years, and I'm pretty much five minutes away from not wanting to hear dub influence in anything for the next ten years.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Pearson Sound stuff is pretty far from dub-techno though, isn't it? No spaciousness in 'Wad' at least.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Does anyone know if his remix of the Wickeda tune ever came out? Or if not, if and when it is due for release in the future? I was really loving that one a wee while back. :)

its coming on a white, he's mastering it soon

what tunes are you thinking of sickboy? i can't think of any

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Actually you're both right, just went back and listened and I was clearly thinking of something else. 'Wad' is actually really sick.
Dub-techno still sucks though.

4NR

Such a love/hate relationship with Ricardo...hadn't listened to that tune in a longggg time, credit for moving me back towards the former sentiment. Fizheuer Zieheuer really was a great track/anthem, regardless of what anyone says about mnml.

But back to the original point-- what I find attractive about Pearson Sound/DKennedy is the dry objectivity of the beats and emotions. Contrast this to the 'tribal' movement in tech-house, the deep house revival, and its UKfunky analogue; all moaning female divas and, for lack of a better word, sexy beats. Tracks like this one or on a more meritocratic level, this, operate on a truly debased version of modern-day orientalism. DKennedy (more so on Gambetta/So Far Ago than on Wad/PSLN) is the Sir Richard Burton (eh....ok, the list of brit orientalists who avoided violence towards the other isn't so great to choose from is it). I mean, his name is Ramadanman, after all. There's a nascent blog post in here but I wish I had the time to flesh this out more.

edit: I think "Bidding War" and the whole "Blimey" EP fit that description pretty accurately too despite being "Ramadanman" tunes in name.

Last edited:

franz

i agree that Ram/Pearson productions have an aridity... and i can see how that would lend itself to what you describe above, but that was, nonetheless, quite the driveby. this thread hardly seems to be the appropriate place (then again 'poor feller already had to fend off Zomby comparisons, herein), but you could definitely elaborate on what 'sexy beats' and 'moaning female divas' have to do with modern day orientalism. i'd never seen that major lazer video, and while the song picks up some neat stuff from what i'd clock as a South African house sound, the video is pretty ridiculous. i really don't want to talk about it here, tbh... too much to get into. i would never take a bullet for diplo, even if he makes songs i really like on occasion.

what i will say is that i can't really think of another producer right now whose stuff feels the way Rams/PS music does, and i wouldn't really want too many people to try, because i think most would fall on their face. when i think about it sometimes, i'm not sure how he manages--and this is w/r/t this aforementioned dryness... i might also say 'innocence', which isn't quite a satisfying descriptor, but it's the best i can come up with for describing the stripped back and skeletal quality that a lot of his tracks have... often in the synths, in particular.

but really his tracks are secretly more swinging than they appear at first... the second drop midway through PLSN being a shining example. and anyway Kablammo Eleven is one of my favourite Ramadanman productions--which totally does have a sexy clipped moan vocal.

...uh, yeh.

continuum

smugpolice
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

samdiamond

sure tom fact will be along to supply full details soon, but the next FACT thing at lock tavern has a pearson sound set

Richard Carnage

Who's clocked the similarity between the beat of Wad and of Villalobos' Spritzcussion on Superlongevity? Or is it me?

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Superlongevity/release/23879

Also this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>