Commercialy released mixes with huge clangers

continuum

smugpolice
If I remember right the Skepta Rinse one is a bit iffy.

You can get away with a bit of clanging if you make up / acknowledge it in the same mix in some way.

If it's a planned out mix and you clang you need to go back and do it again - there are ways of doing this without going right back to the start though luckily.

If it's an unplanned mix and something goes wrong then it's a chance for the DJ to show their recovery skills.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If I remember right the Skepta Rinse one is a bit iffy.

Yeah this one is a bit dodgy. It's just not good overall: it's mixed poorly, the track selection is uninspired, it doesn't sound very cohesive.

Which is unsurprising really because Skepta is an MC. I'm not sure why they picked him to do one when they could've (and should've) got Maximum to do it. Y'know... Skepta's DJ.

alex

Do not read this.
appleblim's allstars compliation is great, honestly one of the best one's, right up my alley anyway..

what does everyone think the best tune on their is?? Mine is definately 2562 - Movern Dub (next level), the jus wan track is HARD aswell..great mix

petergunn

plywood violin
is unsurprising really because Skepta is an MC. I'm not sure why they picked him to do one when they could've (and should've) got Maximum to do it. Y'know... Skepta's DJ.

Maximum has his share of clangers on plenty of pirate tapes i've heard... Carnage on the other hand is pretty fucking tight.... not to get into one of those "who is the tightest mixer in grime" things...

gumdrops

karnage and max both clang quite regularly on their shows. but thats just the grime dj style isnt it? slam-slam-slam, its not meant to really 'flow' (theres obv exceptions like wonder, slimzee etc but i consider their style diff to the spyro/maximum/karnage one). that skepta rinse cd had quite a few obvious mistakes in it. surprised he didnt re-do it. i know he used to be a dj, but its obv he doesnt really get into it very often anymore.

DAS4 has some killer tracks on it, even tho some of the selection/mixing seems a bit lazy at times.

Client Eastwood

it really works though for that super aggressive style i don't care about the odd clanger, everyone is allowed a clanger or two a set.

Dave Clarke - live at Fuse mix

Not clangers as such but aggressive mixing/cutting, very energetic raw mix. Its something I have to a certain mood to listen to but when it works it works good.

wascal

Wild Horses
Dave Clarke - live at Fuse mix

Not clangers as such but aggressive mixing/cutting, very energetic raw mix. Its something I have to a certain mood to listen to but when it works it works good.

Nice. When DC clangs he does it in style and makes it sound like thats what he meant to do. Wicked DJ imo

tyranny

No discussion of this kind is complete without mentioning Grooverider - specifically his Prototype years mix cd, brutal isn't the word for it!

Shouts to the chap who mentioned Goldie's INCredible Sound of Drum n Bass mix as well, that was pretty shocking...

Mills gets excepted from this debate - Live at the Liquid Rooms might be rougher than a badger's arse around the edges but the sheer power and the energy of it trumps any argument for pristine technical perfection...

philblackpool

gamelanstep
The Jeff Mills thing came to my mind too.

I don't have much to add here except that I think I remember one of the less well-known dance mags (Magic Feet?) in the mid-90s suggesting that Coldcut had done their mixes on a computer & then having to retract the statement after a terse response (for anyone not old enough to remember, there was something of a rep to protect, with their JDJ mix being about the most hallowed of that period & still a pretty great & innovative listen).

Client Eastwood

Oh and this one but I still love it.

I guess he tried to blend one track into another and sometimes it didnt quite work but im really not too concerned with seamless mixing tbh.

R-94997-1118102927.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/LTJ-Bukem-Mixmag-Live-Volume-21/release/94997

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
karnage and max both clang quite regularly on their shows. but thats just the grime dj style isnt it?

Maximum used to clang. Around 2006 I couldn't stand the Roll Deep show because of how terrible he was. Since then, he has really improved and I reckon if you listen to a recent Roll Deep set you'll find few, if any, really bad mixes.

Also, no, that isn't grime DJ style if only because if something doesn't come in on time, whether mixed or from a straight cut, it fucks the MC up and they have to stop. The best grime DJs you'll notice are not simply good at mixing, but extremely adept: Slimzee, Mak 10, Spyro, etc. The key is being fast.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Also, no, that isn't grime DJ style if only because if something doesn't come in on time, whether mixed or from a straight cut, it fucks the MC up and they have to stop. The best grime DJs you'll notice are not simply good at mixing, but extremely adept: Slimzee, Mak 10, Spyro, etc. The key is being fast.

Yeah, I get a bit fed up when people talk about grime and similar DJing styles in terms of 'chucking in the records' and so forth, as if they DJs don't bother at all with getting the new tunes in time, having some kind of interaction between the records etc. Just because it's not long, seamless deep-house type mixing doesn't mean there's no technique to it.

wise

bare BARE BONES
No discussion of this kind is complete without mentioning Grooverider - specifically his Prototype years mix cd, brutal isn't the word for it!

Shouts to the chap who mentioned Goldie's INCredible Sound of Drum n Bass mix as well, that was pretty shocking...

Quite a few of the D&B label compilations that came out around the same time were mixed excruciatingly.
Gave me hope as an aspiring young dj :cool:

Not commercially released but I used to listen to the Guy Called Gerald essential mix from 94-95ish all the time. It wasn't tell I learned to beat mix myself that I noticed that he was clanging pretty much every mix and then quickly fading the record out.

LTJ Bukem's Essential mix has hardly any actual beat mixes the intros are so long that he just fades out the other tune just before the beat starts on teh new one.
Didn't notice that till I was djing myself either. Least it sounded smooth though.

wise

bare BARE BONES
The Jeff Mills thing came to my mind too.

I don't have much to add here except that I think I remember one of the less well-known dance mags (Magic Feet?) in the mid-90s suggesting that Coldcut had done their mixes on a computer & then having to retract the statement after a terse response (for anyone not old enough to remember, there was something of a rep to protect, with their JDJ mix being about the most hallowed of that period & still a pretty great & innovative listen).

I thought it was pretty widely known that that JDJ was constructed at least partly in the studio.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Surely at that point mixing something on the computer would been more involved than just playing the damn record?
That makes me a bit sad if it's true, it was very much a pinnacle of mixtape possibilities for me as a teenager, and certainly made a big difference to my DJ ambitions.
Or is the implication more that they spliced together multiple takes, because frankly I'm not bothered if that's the case.