Obama health reform

polystyle

health care ?

Wow, one can remember when this was not only a good idea -it was going to come together in a good way ...
By now , what is it really ? what a mess Dems.

rumble

Looks like it will go through, but I still want to see a vote on the public option.

Bernie Sanders backed down on it under pressure, but the corrupt Dems who are against the public option should still be forced to show their colors.

There's really no reason not to allow a vote on a public option amendment, except that it would expose the politicians that are in the pocket of the health industry and conflict with the crooked deals that Obama made with the industry behind closed doors. The excuse before was that they needed 60 votes, but now if they only need 51, so why not pass the public option?

polystyle

the midnight hour

My guess it will pass around midnight tonight,
looks like Stupak has written his own amendment - order re: abortion language and it appears that's the issue it all comes down too ...

Would love to see the public option' included , and one would have thought it would have been, but jeez look at the complex BS that's gone on ...
The US Gov. and it's functions - like law, IGO's and all the dysfunctional bureaucracies, need to be reformed, revamped and brought into this century -screaming , no doubt .
But anyway ... it's taken what ? 100 years to get this passed ?

polystyle

Last edited by a moderator:

craner

Beast of Burden
Anyone read that book Race of a Lifetime? I did, it's great!

It made me like Obama, if only because he decided to run against all odds on the basis that the US presidancy shouldn't be secured by the borderline mentally-ill.

Also makes you feel sad about the vulgarisation of McCain.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
All the way back to LBJ?

well, Clinton had the Brady Bill, though I guess that's not quite as sweeping. perhaps more applicably, the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (raised taxes on the wealthy & corporations & cut taxes on low-income brackets, among other things) which passed w/o a single GOP vote in the Senate or House (sound familiar?). not really, the same thing tho. There was also the epic showdown w/Newt & Co. in '95 over the budget, tho they got him back later by twisting his arm into signing in welfare reform.

Jimmy Carter had the Camp David Accords, & that's about it.

so as far as game-changing, society-altering legislation, yeah, back to LBJ. though it could be said that not very many Presidents, Dem or GOP, put through legislation of that order. & I don't know if this bill will fall into that category either; we'll see in 5 or 10 years.

Also makes you feel sad about the vulgarisation of McCain.

tis true, but the man himself had rather a large hand in that vulgarization. so not too sad. I will say, I appreciated (& still appreciate) his absolutely unwavering stance on torture - this crushing of wax statue Mitt Romney on the subject of waterboarding was a particularly fine moment.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
nice one Vim and Cracker re GOP lunacy. and big love to P as ever for clear-eyed approach.

from Vim's link, hope i don't sound tinfoil hat on one small point, but

The ouster also came one day after a harsh Wall Street Journal editorial ripped the former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, saying he "now makes his living as the media's go-to basher of fellow Republicans" and accusing him of "peddling bad revisionist history."

i've read the WSJ a lot down the years (though i can't recall doing so post-Murdoch ownership), and usually found the editorials a sober source of opinion (even when i didn't agree w them, which was probably more often than not). however, the above sounds way off-base from them; i can't help but think it wouldn't have said such nakedly partisan bollocks in the pre-Murdoch days.

[disclaimer: i have no idea as to editorial intrusions from the owner there these days, etc, so could be talking paranoid nonsense. i dunno.]