Obama health reform

polystyle

There WILL be a deal,
it appears there are Dems who do NOT want the public option included.
Looks like as big a test of the Dem's 'unity' behind their Prez as it is a 'test' for Obama himself :slanted:

He's just one guy , trying to ride the thing into being.
The polled public still supports a health plan, but 'devil's' in der details ...

But this is it -health plan for the country or not .

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/health/policy/09assess.html?hp

and ...http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/us/politics/10obama.html?hp

Last edited by a moderator:

crackerjack

so how was it for you? public option described as "only a means to an end" - code for dead in the water. but sounds like a good speech and that Rep Rep who called him a liar made his party look stupid by bringing a taste of the 'town hall' shitslinging into the President's face.

14% bump in support for Obama plans in new poll.

polystyle

Morning Crackerjack , if you are asking me -and I was in Studio during the speech -
it appears the Prez stood up and had his say.
I think he will get a plan.
And as one without health insurance , I feel better knowing he is in the White House aiming - at least aiming -for something that can include everyone.
Of course the bog he has to deal with is amazing , backward and filled with Insurance and other ' special interests ' that had gotten their way since forever ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/us/politics/10assess.html?hp

In the backward dept. , let's place Joe , from South Carolina : http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/11/us/politics/11Wilson.html?hp

Just reading various citizens responses to the speech gives one an idea of just how many issues are involved and what matters for who
http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/how-the-people-saw-it/?hp

Last edited by a moderator:

polystyle

South Carolina has been on a roll of late.
I can call my Dad and joke him about this poor white guy ,
yes - another 'Joe' ...

vimothy

yurp
3907223778_5912661963.jpg

Improved Health Insurance Reform Flowchart

scottdisco

rip this joint please
watched it in full repeated on one of our news channels two days ago.

good speech.

some of my favourite bits where when POTUS outlined what were clearly the more kite-flying, progressive aspects of his proposals and loads of the GOP just sat there stony-faced as Dems riotously applauded.

well it made me laugh :D

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the WaPo guy that Polystyle quotes above from the NYT made a video for PBS last year travelling around various countries, similar to his article really, except a broader over-view, not addressing the specific shoulder problem, some very interesting vids

here

scottdisco

rip this joint please
After the fight and fever's -and there's plenty of swine flu to go around ,
some form of public option may actually be coming in the Senate
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/health/policy/23health.html?hp

Reid's a tool, but there are other's in the boat now too.
So it's gone around, and comes around again

cheers, a very interesting look at the politics and jockeying going on, big up the public option drivers is all i can say!

Landrieu, Louisiana, a bit of a tool, i mean her state is the 49th most deprived in the union, FFS

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Now , the Dems are onto something -strip Insurance Co's of their Anti Trust exemption ...
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/us/politics/18address.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Think this is just a threat to make the insurance companies back off and work with reform... The insurance companies have been really inept lately though, I'm actually thinking there might be some kind of public option included, as watered-down as it inevitably will be. Still not cut and dry though.

Just in time for the country to be reduced to debt peons of Goldman Sachs.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
so, the House finally passes a bill by the barest of margins (220-215), despite the Dems overwhelming majority in the house (258-177). 39 Dems vote against, 1 Republican for (a Vietnamese-American ex-Jesuit seminarian who reps a heavily black & traditionally Democratic district of NOLA). Pelosi made a deal with the devil - from her own party, given that the GOP was still categorically against - to get it through; an amendment barring any insurance plan subsidized by the govt from covering abortions. which, in the finest Congress tradition, will screw the women who are in the most dire need of help paying for abortion while leaving the affluent (& well-insured) relatively untouched.

also, b/c bicameral legislation is such an awkward business this isn't really much of a victory, even a hollow one. now the Senate has to pass its own bill. then a joint House-Senate committee will get together and attempt to reconcile any differences in the two bills. then the resulting cobbled-together bill would have to be passed, again, by the House & the Senate.

I would not be surprised at all if GOP rearguard tactics, combined with Democratic ineptitude, manage to delay this until next year's midterms. at which point it would likely become dead in the water once the Dems lose their big majorities, which is almost an inevitability.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
so, the House finally passes a bill by the barest of margins (220-215), despite the Dems overwhelming majority in the house (258-177). 39 Dems vote against, 1 Republican for (a Vietnamese-American ex-Jesuit seminarian who reps a heavily black & traditionally Democratic district of NOLA). Pelosi made a deal with the devil - from her own party, given that the GOP was still categorically against - to get it through; an amendment barring any insurance plan subsidized by the govt from covering abortions. which, in the finest Congress tradition, will screw the women who are in the most dire need of help paying for abortion while leaving the affluent (& well-insured) relatively untouched.

also, b/c bicameral legislation is such an awkward business this isn't really much of a victory, even a hollow one. now the Senate has to pass its own bill. then a joint House-Senate committee will get together and attempt to reconcile any differences in the two bills. then the resulting cobbled-together bill would have to be passed, again, by the House & the Senate.

I would not be surprised at all if GOP rearguard tactics, combined with Democratic ineptitude, manage to delay this until next year's midterms. at which point it would likely become dead in the water once the Dems lose their big majorities, which is almost an inevitability.

You know what? As pissed as I am that it couldn't get through with the abortion coverage on deck, I think this won't affect practice as much as some people think it will. (I'd have to read the bill more in depth to be sure, but...)

The legal sitch was similar in the 1950s too before Roe v. Wade. Abortion was technically illegal in many states unless it was going to be performed to save the good health of the woman. Well, what ended up happening was doctors interpreted the law very very generously in favor of the woman, so that "good health" basically meant "if she wants it, she gets it." Also, Planned Parenthood already doles out free abortions. So I mean that's there as a second-line.

Do you really think the dems are going to lose in the midterms? I don't know, I think that's what Rush Limbaugh wants but I don't see it happening. I think the teabaggers are a small enough minority. It's just the media gives them way too much play, so they seem more powerful than they really are.