luka

mashtown is a name people call hackney. mashtown is a crew from london fields. thats why so many people in the mashtown video are from east. becasue hackney is in east london.

trilliam

hes a known div.

and you're a certified wanker.

here is a little list no way definitive.

Giggs - Best of Giggs Vol.1 & 2
SN1 - Another Quick One
Kyze - Todays My Deadline
Giggs & Blade - Hollow Meets Blade
Blade - Bags & Boxes
Youngs Teflon - Call of Duty & Grown Man Ting
OTB - Woolyhood
DVS - One In A Million
K Koke - Pure Koke
Gunna D - Hustler By Nature
Fekky - This One's On Me
Young Spray - Realer Than Most
Big Ryde - Cut Above The Rest
Big Ryde - Let's Get Things Started
Unit 10 - Rap Factory Vol. 3
Colours - Where's My Money
Giggs - Walk In Da Park
Youngsta - Crystal Meth
2G & G Money - Studio 69 Massacre
Timbar - No Manners With It
Paper Pablo - Money Talks
Blade - Best of Blade Vol.1
Kyze - Best of Kyze Vol. 1
Fix Dot'M - Best of Fix Dot'M - Vol.1
J Spades - More Money More Pagans & M.O.E.T.
Dice - Hoods Hottest

most of these can be found on ukrapmusic or datpiff.

it is VERY EASY to seperate the wheat from the chaff and get yourself educated.

road rap is dead anyway. it had a very short run and that run is over. too generic too watered down. whole reason it became big was because unlike grime you didn't have to suspend belief. now everyone can tlk about trapping and shooting so its back to square one simple as that. this tlk of road rap sucking up "Nuum" talent is total garbage as well, i dont even wanna touch on that.

Very good list that.

I wouldn't say it's dead at all, I think there's been a lot of good stuff this last year. Not necessarily the same frequency as Crystal Meth times but yeah.

At least Trilliam listens to it as opposed to most of the people talking about here let's be honest like.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Thanks for the list trilliam, I know most of them but a few misses there.

I dunno slackk, not that impressed with what I been hearing this year so far, keep trying and just deleting. Beats are good, mastering is awful, rapping isn't gettin better, so lazy. If I want lazy I'll hang around with my friends, y'know? I live in hope and it could be just me.

outraygeous

Remember when the grime scene was original and didn't spend all their time on youtube catting what Americans are doing

CrowleyHead

Remember when grime had new generations inventing new styles and coming up with creative things to say, as opposed to making generic '06 Skepta Freestyles?

It goes both ways y'know.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
i dont know how many ex-grime guys have gone into road rap (any?)

grime was already on its knees before road rap got that big.

lots of guys from grime have switched focus to rap now (they've mostly always made it) i.e. skrapz & rugrat from slk, most of roadside g's, ruger from ogz, crazy titch from prison...

btw i'm not talking about grime MCs defecting, I'm talking about grass roots talent choosing hip hop where they would have chosen grime in the past, like that young kid getting blooded on the Mashtown vid.

guys like dizzee, titch, skepta, d double and doogz were making rap from day though. everyone's always made rap alongside grime and the rise of mixtapes just brought that out.

rubberdingyrapids

yeah there was always this bedgrudging acceptance from grime mcs when they realised not many people/grime fans wanted to hear them doing 'normal' hip hop tracks. they were mostly all basically frustrated hip hop artists. really the rise of road rap can be traced to garage crumbling. soon as that happened, it was always a balancing act between post-garage/grime and hip hop for the MCs in the scene. road rap was inevitable.

Last edited:
I don't really think it's got much to do with garage at all to be honest. Certainly there was and is an influx of ex grime MCs in it but South has always been on rap. I know you had Ontop, and MC wise Essentials, South Soldiers etc; but really there's always been a rap thing in South and it was the success of Giggs that really pushed it forward more than anything else, in my opinion.

It's just easy to place it in some ideological framework if that's your idea of London music, and I can understand where the Blackdown article and his ideas came from in that respect.

On the subject of the actual music, I quite liked that new Fee Fee tape and I think the Trips one has it's moments as well (especially the first track). Most of the alleged bigger names haven't put out anything good in ages though.

rubberdingyrapids

my point wasnt that road rap is all part of the HC continuum, just that grime basically made it possible for something like road rap from the uk/london to come along and be properly credible. but yeah, i still maintain road rap is part of the hip hop continuum.