KRS-ONE publishes new book

mms

sometimes
MMS - what was that book on the 5 percenters you mentioned ages ago?

this, its bloody interesting and knowing alot of this stuff is - after reading it integral to nyc hip hop language esp the wu, ie it's not just weird stuff.

luka

i remember that sickboy! it was right before carnival! i couldn't beleive what i was hearing.

STN

sou'wester
I always though KRS's lyrics were pretty terrible and corny, but that his flow was very awesome.

I will probably end up getting this for Christmas, as my mum likes to buy me books by rappers (Chuck D's I remember being alright, Ice T's was rather silly, even when I was thirteen) and books about Bob Dylan (who I actually don't even really like), for some reason.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anyone remember that shit with Tim Westwood? Embarrassing.

Forgot about that..re-listening now:

Fuck,t his hysterical.

"You said KRS fell off. I got it on tape."
"Play the tape."
"Er.."

To echo what STN says above, KRS in interview has a fantastically persuasive and calm manner about him, but when you go back and read his words, they are composed almost entirely of shit.

"The people are critiquing you in a different way. The people who work for you aren't gonna tell you this. But I come from the people, that's all I'm saying."
"When did you get into the UK, Kris? Yesterday?"
"Well, yeah..."
"And you haven't been here for six years."
"No, I've been here"
"Er..?"
"I'm always here..."
"?"
"See, you're concentrating on the physical"

Edit: Listening on, actually, KRS has a point here...

Edit 2: Actually, no he doesn't.

Last edited:

massrock

The guy that made this video apparently thinks KRS is a 'mason' or 'nwo' or something.

Confused, but I think he's got a point about the dodgy positive thinking new ageisms.

5:50

hint

party record with a siren
The story I heard was that KRS had been up at a rival station earlier in the day (Choice FM maybe?) and they basically pushed him into that Westwood confrontation. Telling him that everyone hates Westwood and he'd be a hero if he had a go at him on air. Pretty weak.

Westwood should write a Hip Hop Bible instead.
One sentence at a time.
On Twitter.

luka

279 has had a long long long bitter hatred of westwood so i wouldn't suprise me. westwood has probably done some cuntish things to him regarding promotions of concerts, etc, pulling bastard power moves etc. 279 regularly winged about westwood on air. probably still does. haven't listened to him for years.

crackerjack

"And you haven't been here for six years."
"No, I've been here"
"Er..?"
"I'm always here..."
"?"
"See, you're concentrating on the physical"

You can't fuck with that logic.

Lots of British hip hop fans think Westwood's a knob - nothing to do with jealousy, promotions or what have you. It's because there's something fundamentally ridiculous about a middle-aged middle-class son of a middle-England bishop talking like a black New Yorker.

massrock

Tim Westwood is very funny. If you hate him for being a knob you've got no sense of humour.

See him wondering around with a plastic baggy of booze on that Westwood TV Funky slot, he's turning into Mark E Smith.

crackerjack

Tim Westwood is very funny. If you hate him for being a knob you've got no sense of humour.

See him wondering around with a plastic baggy of booze on that Westwood TV Funky slot, he's turning into Mark E Smith.

anyone who's a cartoon caricature of much that's worst about hip hop is gonna be "funny". I suspect he's rather less self-aware than you're implying.

Bear in mind, around the time of the KRS thing he was also prone to saying things like "all the little dick whiteys to the back, all my big dick nigggas to the front". Which might sound funny on a talkboard, but isn't clever in the context of Notting Hill Carnival.

CrowleyHead

Westwood has one great quality that none of his american counterparts have... He doesn't take himself seriously.

Would you ever see Flex do anything funny? No. Because, there's nothing really funny about Flex. Or Kay Slay. Or Drama. Or any American DJ really...

Westwood however? Endless jokes. Every video cameo he makes? Gold.

"Your par game is weak dog! Mary took that par to the back of her throat! That's a strong par!"

"You in the hat! *points to JME* 100%. Good job Dog. Wretch! 32! COME ON SON!"

"Westwood, Westwood, Westwood, Westwood.... Roll Deep."

DannyL

Wild Horses
Westwood, 60 second interview, The Metro, some years back:

"We just put a beach in a car. That's a strong look."

DannyL

Wild Horses
He hasn't always talked like that either. I may have taped evidence, somewhere. It's all a persona.

luka

danny is right. he only started shouting under flexs influence. he used to have a stoned drawl on capital and presumably had a different manner before this. my mate used to work for him and in buisness meetings hes very different naturally.

hint

party record with a siren
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>