Hip-Hop References that fly over your Head

nomos

Administrator
what's on 'the columbo tip' mean - epmd used to say it, i want to say it but i want to say it correctly.
Columbo was an American cop show in the 70s - constant reruns in the 80s. He always got his man by making out like he was bumbling and clueless but really he was on it. i.e. "He'll just sit there and watch you play yourself and all that, and then he'll take you to court after cause he's the Inspectah"

nomos

Administrator
Anyone catch Jay-Z's favourite books list? More esoterica than I'd have expected from him compared to others mentioned here. Might show how deeply this stuff penetrates in hip hop (but also how ideologically maleable it is)...
http://www.rap-up.com/2009/09/25/6-books-that-jay-z-lives-by/#more-27292

Then the next day, NPR has this story called "Jay-Z: A Master of Occult Wisdom." Apparently some new book about the occult in the US mentions him. The author claims that Jay-Z calling people "God" is hugely significant because "A phrase like 'Peace God' does not find its way into someone's vernacular by accident." Except when it just turns into a hip, even ironic, way to say 'hi' :slanted: Makes it out to be more mystical than it necessarily is (i.e. RZA would have been a more apt example but Jzy-Z makes a better headline). Anyway, the book has a chapter called "The Rise of Magic in Afro America" which looks a bit thin judging by the index. Could still be a fun read though.

Was the Wu Manual getting slated in this thread. I thought it was really good actually.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Was the Wu Manual getting slated in this thread. I thought it was really good actually.

Nah I think it was just that Michael Muhammad Knight came in and owned that material by producing the book that the internet couldn't which wasn't what RZA did. But I'm looking forward to part 2 of RZA's one.

Thanks for the links, I'm well into this stuff. For me it was just being 17 and working in a black music record shop and one of the guys coming back from New York and going ' You know all this stuff is religious code, right?' and me just going 'Oh, deeeeeep shiiiiit', and well, it didn't stop from there.

I blame Sun Ra, but I didn't know that then.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Specifically you can actually blame Rakim. Most covert 5%er ever... Then, Wu-Tang Came out, and suddenly he was doing records like "The 18th Letter".

Aera Aleph

Drag Me Away
Anyone catch Jay-Z's favourite books list? More esoterica than I'd have expected from him compared to others mentioned here. Might show how deeply this stuff penetrates in hip hop (but also how ideologically maleable it is)...
http://www.rap-up.com/2009/09/25/6-books-that-jay-z-lives-by/#more-27292

Then the next day, NPR has this story called "Jay-Z: A Master of Occult Wisdom." Apparently some new book about the occult in the US mentions him. The author claims that Jay-Z calling people "God" is hugely significant because "A phrase like 'Peace God' does not find its way into someone's vernacular by accident." Except when it just turns into a hip, even ironic, way to say 'hi' :slanted: Makes it out to be more mystical than it necessarily is (i.e. RZA would have been a more apt example but Jzy-Z makes a better headline). Anyway, the book has a chapter called "The Rise of Magic in Afro America" which looks a bit thin judging by the index. Could still be a fun read though.

On a similar tip:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=1948

mms

sometimes
I forgot I wanted to get that. So it was good?

yeah it's great, really good, yeah man i know who columbo is, everyone knows who that guy is. on the columbo tip seems like a weird one.

this book is good on the early moorish temple and all that biz pre the nation of islam
although hakim bey's prose is always pretty grim to read.

petergunn

plywood violin
i realize this is a thread hijack, but fuck it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

this video from 1:00 on... when jada came out, i kinda lost it...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I forgot I wanted to get that. So it was good?

Like mms says, really really good. It's 'everything you always wanted to know about...' but done from a first person perspective of him going into the Nation as a white Muslim, so it's fascinating from that angle let alone his historical perspective, which told me waaaaay more than I'd ever known. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Funnily I'd never seen the video to 'Follow the leader' until just now :

they've disabled embedding for some reason.

So Rakim invented gangsta rap as well as everything else he brought to the table. Christ.

Aera Aleph

Drag Me Away
This is so great. But here :

"Why does he appear in other videos containing occult meanings (see Rihanna’s “Umbrella” or Beyonce’s “Crazy in Love”)?"

I think I missed this, what are the occult meanings of those? Umbrella? Really?

It's blatantly Rhianna's fault.

Warning: the analysis of this song deals with very disturbing subject matters.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=175

Beyonce to Sasha Fierce: Symbolic Occult Rebirth:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=604

Guy goes a long way to prove his own points...still very entertaining though.

hint

party record with a siren
"With the next line I'ma be easy
His wisdom's name is Fifi"

Anyone know what Fifi means? Been asking myself ever since i first heard this...

Hmmm.. good question!

"So reload quickly
And you better hit me
Or I'm letting this Fifi get with me"

STN

sou'wester
Chuck D: recorded and ordered supporter of Chesamard.

Who (or what) is this Chesamard?

STN

sou'wester
cheers, peter, I'm a bit surprised my mum didn't know that one, actually (I asked her as I suspected it was someone of that ilk).