shakahislop

yeah, the way he had a profile was what attracted (basically westernised) al-Q to do him - as often seems to be the case a convergence of different interests and one way or another his fate was sealed
i hadn't thought of that before, but it does make a lot of sense

shakahislop

here is an enjoyable recent video of the taliban playing on some swings, at a (very big) guess, somewhere in the new areas of Herat that were taken in the last couple of days

what they really need is some tins and then they'd fit right in on here

A tweet by a reliable source (Mujeb Mashall):

"I've watched this on repeat. It's more than a bunch of grown-up Taliban in swings at a children's park. This war denied a generation of men, in large stretches of this country, the simple pleasures of childhood. The Talib who's filming: "I am scared - I can't do it, I will fall""

craner

Beast of Burden
The combination of Basra and Helmand basically broke the British army. I'm not sure that their reputation or morale has recovered yet.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think the decision to take on Helmand was directly related to the Brirish desire to get out of Southern Iraq while also saving face. In the event it coincided with the US Surge which just made the Brits look even more foolish and the South even more of a disaster. In one way it's sort of funny, considering how arrogant the British army was when they started off in Basra.

version

i know that you're saying that this is something other people are saying, rather than something that you're saying yourself, but the only way to believe this idea that the war was about taking control of the heroin trade would be to know more or less nothing about the subject. there's no evidence at all that this is what drove the decisions of Bush et al and NATO to get involved, and plenty of evidence for other motivations.
Yeah, I mean I don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion either way and it seems farfetched that that would be the basis for the entire war. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it was a factor, or at least a lucrative byproduct, for someone on the US side, mind you.

version

there's an impenetrable and quite amazing book called 'An Intimate War: An Oral History of the Helmand Conflict' which is.....maybe.....worth it. but there's also an LRB article by James Meek which i think leans heavily on that book, which is definitely worth it.
Cheers for the tip. I'll give that a read later.
Here's the article, if anyone else wants it.

shakahislop

Yeah, I mean I don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion either way and it seems farfetched that that would be the basis for the entire war. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it was a factor, or at least a lucrative byproduct, for someone on the US side, mind you.

it's actually where the literature on the afghanistan opium (and now a lot of meth, surprisingly) stuff ends, which is something I hadn't thought of before. there's a few people who dig very deep into what's gone on with opium production and how to stop it. the biggest name is probably David Mansfield, who I really rate. they tend though to talk about what's going on within the borders of afghanistan and not talk at all about what the networks of drug production and movement outside of afghanistan look like.

obviously some people in the US are making a load of money off of heroin and so on, but i doubt they have anything to do with the state. although i know other people think that the US state is involved in drug distribution in some way or another.

thanks for sharing that link. it's a great article that from what i remember, a really amazing entry point for the 'oh.....ok so this is a more complicated war that i expected' realization.

version

obviously some people in the US are making a load of money off of heroin and so on, but i doubt they have anything to do with the state. although i know other people think that the US state is involved in drug distribution in some way or another.
There are a fair few theories about the CIA pursuing their own agenda or being given enough slack that they've either ended up actively involved in drug trafficking or have at least turned a blind eye to it when it's been useful to them, e.g. Iran/Contra.

A Mexican official publicly accused them of trying to control the drug trade a few years back, but a lot of people pushed back against it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
More than 1,000 [soldiers] have fled across the border, and hundreds more have handed over weapons and equipment to the Taliban in mass surrenders videoed and shared on social media.

The men have been filmed embracing their enemies, and have been sent home with money for travel, a savvy tool to undermine the fighting spirit of others defending remote outposts and make capitulation in the face of a militant advance far more attractive.

Smart move.

sufi

lala
(I havent read it all yet, but) this seems like a good picture of how things are for Afghan women at present, largely based on their own accounts

shakahislop

(I havent read it all yet, but) this seems like a good picture of how things are for Afghan women at present, largely based on their own accounts
I haven't got round to this either, but basically everything AAN puts out is outrageously good. Truly the gold-standard for first-hand research, analysis done by people who really know what they're talking about, and for wanting to present the nuances of the truth. I'm always kind of surprised that this kind of thing doesn't exist in other places. I think AAN were able to exist because there was so much aid money sloshing about in Afghanistan for so long, more or less everything was getting funded. I'd love something like this even for the UK, to be honest, to get me out of my guardian-mediated reality.

shakahislop

View attachment 7554

it's been interesting to me that it took the papers about a week to catch up with what is going on.

the first few days of this week have been quite a lot slower. the pace of the Taliban advance has slowed down a lot. I think they took a district in Bamiyan and have been fighting on the outskirts of Kandahar City, but they have been the only significant developments. Maybe they've just banged through all the easy places and are having a rest before the hard ones, like me doing my homework.

shakahislop

does this video embed? more footage of the taliban enjoying themselves in (presumably) newly taken territory. and making dem gainz. (it's not some gore thing, nothing to worry about)

shakahislop

it's been interesting to me that it took the papers about a week to catch up with what is going on.

the first few days of this week have been quite a lot slower. the pace of the Taliban advance has slowed down a lot. I think they took a district in Bamiyan and have been fighting on the outskirts of Kandahar City, but they have been the only significant developments. Maybe they've just banged through all the easy places and are having a rest before the hard ones, like me doing my homework.

it sounds like there's a lot of fighting tonight in Spin Boldak, which is a small-ish but important town in Kandahar in the south. it's the home of the network that runs Kandahar City, and is also the main border crossing in the south between Pakistan and Afghanistan. I don't think the Taliban have made a push to take the border crossing before, and it would be a surprise to me if they do take it so soon - but I am surprised every day at the moment.

luka

what is it that makes ordinary white english men decide to become middle east experts? and just go on the internet loads 'learning' about
middle east stuff? i suppose its just a hobby like any other, no real harm in it