version

Apparently the Americans left in the middle of the night without telling the Afghan soldiers patrolling the perimeter. They just abandoned the place, left loads of gear and supplies behind.

Last edited:

Leo

but the scheduled withdrawal has been widely covered in the media for weeks.

version

"In one night, they lost all the goodwill of 20 years by leaving the way they did, in the night, without telling the Afghan soldiers who were outside," said Naematullah, an Afghan soldier who asked that only his one name be used.

Leo

"In one night, they lost all the goodwill of 20 years by leaving the way they did, in the night, without telling the Afghan soldiers who were outside," said Naematullah, an Afghan soldier who asked that only his one name be used.

it's not the US military's job to inform Afghan foot soldiers on their plans, I'm sure his military commanders were well aware. also, broadcasting the exact day and time of a move like that could put the troops in harm's way or cause other sorts of complications, why open the door to that possibility.

I'm not defending the US role in the region, just thinking from a US military operations perspective.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Apparently the Americans left in the middle of the night without telling the Afghan soldiers patrolling the perimeter. They just abandoned the place, left loads of gear and supplies behind.
The Onion got there first - a decade ago!

version

it's not the US military's job to inform Afghan foot soldiers on their plans, I'm sure his military commanders were well aware. also, broadcasting the exact day and time of a move like that could put the troops in harm's way or cause other sorts of complications, why open the door to that possibility.

I'm not defending the US role in the region, just thinking from a US military operations perspective.

shakahislop

it's a nice and poetic footnote on the whole war. but it really doesn't matter. great for the guys who live close to the base, and who have to deal with frequent attacks and explosions because of it, who were able to go into the empty base and hopefully make some serious paper from what they could scavenge. i've seen the lights of bagram from a distance; they are like something from sci-fi. huge floodlights lighting up a dark plain, you can see it from miles around. they've presumably been on every night since 2002. must have been quite a moment when they went off.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it's a nice and poetic footnote on the whole war. but it really doesn't matter. great for the guys who live close to the base, and who have to deal with frequent attacks and explosions because of it, who were able to go into the empty base and hopefully make some serious paper from what they could scavenge. i've seen the lights of bagram from a distance; they are like something from sci-fi. huge floodlights lighting up a dark plain, you can see it from miles around. they've presumably been on every night since 2002. must have been quite a moment when they went off.
What brought you there?

version

What brought you there?
1200px-Seal-of-the-Central-Intelligence-Agency-svg.png

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

shakahislop

What brought you there?
i lived in kabul for four years, working a bit on the 'statebuilding' side of things, a bit on the development side, and then quite a lot on the humanitarian side. there were a few links to bits and pieces that the CIA was doing, but it was more directly related to things that the state department and the UN were trying to do. in terms of what psychological defect bought me there, there have been many hypotheses but no conclusive evidence as yet.

it was quite recent all of that, so in the period where the shit had well and truly hit the fan and the country had once again become incredibly violent but where there were only slow taliban territorial gains. that period is basically over now, given what has happened in the last month or so. the gains for them are coming faster than i ever expected. i still do a lot of work on afghanistan and am following it every day, with increasing despair.

sufi

lala
i lived in kabul for four years, working a bit on the 'statebuilding' side of things, a bit on the development side, and then quite a lot on the humanitarian side. there were a few links to bits and pieces that the CIA was doing, but it was more directly related to things that the state department and the UN were trying to do. in terms of what psychological defect bought me there, there have been many hypotheses but no conclusive evidence as yet.

it was quite recent all of that, so in the period where the shit had well and truly hit the fan and the country had once again become incredibly violent but where there were only slow taliban territorial gains. that period is basically over now, given what has happened in the last month or so. the gains for them are coming faster than i ever expected. i still do a lot of work on afghanistan and am following it every day, with increasing despair.
What do you make of Massoud Junior, formerly of KCL, now back in Kabul (i think?)?

Apparently he reckons that Afg should be run like Switzerland, hard to know from here whether he has any real power or support though, beyond the reliably clueless western media adulation, but I suppose a charismatic figure might cut through