Adult Fairytale type films

IdleRich

IdleRich
I really enjoy films such as Valerie and Her Week of Wonders or The Company of Wolves. But what else is there like this?

Octopus?

I'm quite partial to "Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural" and its delightfully harrowing carriage ride.

lemora.jpg

Eyes Wide Shut seems to fit in this category as well.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wouldn't really say that Picnic at Hanging Rock is exactly what I'm after although it does have that air of mystery imparted through a child's lack of understanding so maybe it does. Great film anyway. Freeway is from a totally different direction but I suppose it fits the criteria as I described it.
That Lemora thing sounds very interesting - a little like The Reflecting Skin from the description which is often compared to Valerie so it should be on the right lines.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100469/

Anyone seen a Czech film from the seventies called Saxana?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing - if it's what I'm thinking of, the one where she visits the house she's drawn and there's a boy with no legs 'cause she hasn't drawn them yet right?
It doesn't have to feature children as such to count.

zhao

there are no accidents
taste of cherry

(and no i'm not going with that definition of "adult" - although would be a fine title for such a film)

IdleRich

IdleRich
The suicide one?
Yeah, Bloody Chamber is pretty good I reckon. Short stories with some better than others, some serious, some funny etc

Benny Bunter

Does Pan's labyrinth count? Haven't seen it yet but I just got the DVD after everyone raved about it to me.

Oh, and another one I haven't seen yet but heard good things about: Terry Gilliam's Tideland?

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Pan's Labyrinth is worth a watch. I enjoyed it. Interesting setting too.

terrible. just simply terrible.

Does Pan's labyrinth count? Haven't seen it yet but I just got the DVD after everyone raved about it to me.

don't believe the hype.

you see. i am one who still believes in real film magic. and that, this tacky and pointless special effects laden bullshit is most certainly not.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

You're the first person I've heard tell me that. I'm gonna watch it this weekend and tell you if i agree or not.

edit: I have seen Hellboy by the same director actually. Is it me or did that film make absolutely no sense at all. I just couldn't follow the plot, seemed ridiculously convoluted. looked nice though.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Pan's Labyrinth

EDIT: oh shit, should've read the whole thread. this one's been rinsed already.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Tideland is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I mean.
I've never seen Pan's Labyrinth but something puts me off - it's the same guy who did The Devil's Backbone right? Everyone raves about it but for me it was only ok, I didn't hate it, I just didn't find it especially engaging in any way or on any level.

Night of the Hunter, seriously. Chat around it tends to focus on the expressionist cinematography or depression-era setting, but it's pure, gloves-off fairy tale.