Recent Jungle Albums

C

captain easychord

i heard the pendulum album is smacking it right now :p

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
dread wig

I'm no great source of knowledge when it comes to jungle but I guess I'm coming from a similar place... I love soundmurderer & am always seeking similar quality stuff which is difficult because the bar is set very high. Soundmurderer's tracks are really collages of the best bits of LOTS of classic jungle anthems so they're almost like megamixes (not that they can't do some awesome amen chopping themselves). I really like the stuff that's coming a little more out of left field like some of the SHITMAT "killa babylon cuts" and some of his "full english breakfest" lp, alot of AARON SPECTRE 's stuff (if you havent heard this guy, do yourself a favour. He has a bunch of fantastic mixes on his site you could start with). ENDUSER is awesome (and I just noticed he has a new lp when I went to grab the link). GENERAL MALICE is one of the first names to come out of alot of peoples mouths when it comes to who's been runnin tings in new jungle for the last few years and his debut LP is just about to drop on N20 (I'm really looking forward to this). But like I said, I'm an outsider... and alot of this stuff falls into the "breakcore" category. I've just started hanging around RAGGA-JUNGLE.COM 's forums again recently. If you asked this question over there I'm sure you'd get a wealth of recommendations (been meaning to do this myself actually) and people are always posting sets with tracklists or sometimes some really dope original productions. But like dancehall & grime etc, alot of tracks are just gonna be ep's or 12"s & dubplates, not so much albums.

sorry if this is all shit u already know. I'm looking forward to reading some other dissensians' responses to this one.

S

simon silverdollar

captain easychord said:
i heard the pendulum album is smacking it right now :p

i'm so fascinated by pendulum for some reason. can anyone recommend me their worst track? whats the lowest of the low?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
The b-line after the drop in "Slam" is pretty offensive. Then there's the breakbeat track they did with Freestylers...

i'm sure there's a rock/d&b comparison to be made. if pendulum were rock artists (mixmag already called them 'stadium d&b') they'd be something big and hidious from the late 70s or early 80s. Bon Jovi? Hawkwind?

pendulum exemplify new school d&b's misplaced louder-faster-harder obsession. they also mistake production values for emotion: everyone in d&b goes on in adoring tones about what 'incredible digial mixdowns' they have. And? So?

Then there's the trance riffs, the nasty rock influence, their clownstep b-lines and the whole prog feel of their arrangements.

i respect they write music that has ideas and actually goes somewhere (unlike much of the hard end of d&b), but to someone who loved the beginning and middle phazes of d&b/jungle i guess i just dont like where they went: which was harsh, digital, rocky, noisy, epic, trancy, hyperfast d&b.

Don Rosco

Blackdown has it pretty much spot on there. They do bring something new to the table, it's just something you wouldn't want to eat. I'd rather listen to them than, say, any new Full Cycle stuff, but only in the way i'd rather be slapped in the face than kicked in the nuts.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i'm still pondering over a suitable rock comparison: Metallica perhaps?

pompus, massive and miles from the sound's roots?

zhao

there are no accidents
downloaded 2 Penduluum albums recently and deleted them aproximately 15 minutes later. sounds like the kind of boring stuff diesel-boy plays.

I haven't heard anything new worth my time much less mentioning.

still navigating through old Congo Natty. that stuff has aged spectacularly well.

Brokeman

Living Too Late
it's been a few years since i've followed jungle now but when i tune in once and a while it seems that calibre is still making quite nice, subtle tunes. still in the same vein as a few years ago but he's got his own voice, some very nice breaks and a sense of space which is missing from the rest of the pack. rumour has it that amit is doing similarly good stuff but i haven't heard his since maybe 2003.

Don Rosco

For what it's worth, here's a link to an archive of me and my mate's radio show:

http://www.powerfm.org/wwwboard/viewtopic.php?t=3457

The last show (15th Feb) has a fairly high proportion of new stuff, but none of it in the Soundmurderer vein. Sorry. Tracklist in this thread on Subvert Central. Couple of duff tracks there which we had for 'evaluation' purposes - we evaluated them straight back to the shop. See if you can guess which ones!

For the old Jungle heads (or indeed the soundmurderererer fans), the previous week (8th!) was a 94 /95 Jungle special. Chock full of rude, cantankerous beats.

Don Rosco

And here's a mix of Micro DnB / Twerkstep (apparently), mixed up with some microhouse stuff. I haven't listened yet, but the tracklist looks very inviting.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
confucius said:
still navigating through old Congo Natty. that stuff has aged spectacularly well.

went down & checked him out Friday night here in Osaka. BRRRRRAAAAP! Aged well indeed.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Depends on what moves you.

Recent albums artist comps from the Bassbin and Violence camps have been some of the biggest stuff for me. Distinct, funky and certainly not stadium rock.

Amit is due to drop an album on Commercial Suicide this year which should be thundering if his mini-set on the breezeblock a while back is anything to go by.

The mix that Clever is doing for Knowledge Magazine will be off the fucking hook.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Blackdown said:
i'm still pondering over a suitable rock comparison: Metallica perhaps?

pompus, massive and miles from the sound's roots?

Metallica with the trans-siberian orchestra.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Kuma said:
Depends on what moves you.

Recent albums artist comps from the Bassbin and Violence camps have been some of the biggest stuff for me. Distinct, funky and certainly not stadium rock.

What's the Bassbin comp called?

tate

Brown Sugar
Don Rosco said:
And here's a mix of Micro DnB / Twerkstep (apparently), mixed up with some microhouse stuff. I haven't listened yet, but the tracklist looks very inviting.

Thanks, Don Rosco, am dl'ing the mix now and agree that the tracklist looks promising, though I must say that I've always found the term 'twerkstep' really quite silly. If you follow the links you'll see that people are suggesting that Graphic's rmx of Zeke Honig's Love Session, as well as Pieter K and Jason oS, are 'twerkstep,' which strikes me as descriptively just plain wrong. In the case of Jason oS's tune "808," I can personally assure you that the track has nothing to do with microhouse - it's a gorgeous pointillistic homage to the 808, influenced in part by Jason's reading of William Burroughs.

Last edited:

tate

Brown Sugar
Kuma said:
Recent albums artist comps from the Bassbin and Violence camps have been some of the biggest stuff for me.

God you sound like Jess. :) While I agree that the Bassbin Rare Grooves comp was fantastic, I fail to see the appeal of the Violence crew material. Though as you say, obv it's a matter of personal taste.

And while I realize that the reference to "jungle albums" in the thread's title points more to ragga jungle and breakcore, one would be remiss not to mention three very solid dnb 'artist' albums from the past year: Klute's No One Is Listening Anymore, Deep Blue's Metropolitan Chic, and Calibre's Second Sun.

Though of course 'albums' in jungle/dnb aren't typically representative of what is fulminating beneath the mainstream radar (e.g., Macc, dgoHn, Sileni, Mav, Polska, Jason oS, Martsman, Fracture & Neptune, and so on - it's a long list).

Doesn't Breakage have an album due out on Planet Mu this year though? 0=0?

Last edited: