stretching exercises

craner

Beast of Burden
You have also grown a beard and taken to wearing a kimono -- are all these things related?

luka

yes, absolutely. although its not actually a kimono, theres another word for it but its a japanese word and i dont remember it. its a very nice robe with a squid tentacle pattern.

luka

also my new record is 11 push ups. when i started a few days ago i coculd only do 8. i thinik im a natural.

luka

i dont think so, not especially. i did drink some camomile tea today though. it didnt tase of much but it wasn't unpleasant. i dont think i'll make a habit of it.
ive got a good stretch i do where i lie down flat on the floor on my back with my legs straight and stretch out my arms over my head. oooh, thats a good stretch. nothing too heavy.

BareBones

wheezy
Right someone please help me out here because i'm completely clueless when it comes to exercise.

The last few months i've been making a concerted effort to be healthier. Started playing football once a week for the last month or so, just having little 6-or-7-a-side games for a couple of hours with friends in the park. It's literally the only exercise I've done in about a year, since i last played fairly casual football, but i haven't actually regularly exercised properly since I was about 16 (ie a little over a decade ago), when I was playing football all the time. Despite being asthmatic and a smoker, I don't struggle too much with getting totally knackered; i guess because it's a casual game and i'm not running around full pelt the whole time - you can kind of stand around in defence for 5/10 minutes to have a bit of a breather. I'm certainly not puking on the touchline a la sickboy (though i came dangerously close the last time i played an 11-a-side game).

The thing is though, my legs are fucked! The first time I played I was badly aching for days afterwards, I don't think they had fully recovered by the time we came to play again the week after, and I ended up feeling like i'd strained loads of muscles in my left leg. Just played again last night and it was fucking agony. I could manage light jogging and stuff, but putting any power in my legs (mainly my left), eg sprinting or kicking the ball hard, was impossible. Striking the ball with any degree of power sent shooting pains right up my leg. And my left leg would just seize up whenever i set off into a sprint. This morning all the muscles and tendons and whatever they are around my left knee are killing me - i'm hobbling around and having to walk up and down stairs one step at a time and shit. Moving my left leg into certain positions is absolute agony and i've already almost fallen over twice today because of it. It's depressing and frustrating and kind of humiliating.

Is this normal? I try to do some light stretching and warming up and down etc when we play, but nobody else seems to suffer as much as I do - even though there's people playing, just as unfit as I am, who do precisely zero warming up or stretching. What can I do to stop this whole thing being such an ordeal? I don't want to, but I think i'm gonna have to give it a miss next week and give my leg some time to recover.

mixed_biscuits

imo I don't think that it's anything to worry about. It must just be a function of your physical state and the expectations that you have when exercising: you instinctively perform actions in ways that your fitter body of yore could have shrugged off.

Just try to ease yourself back in with lower-impact activities. Perhaps recuperation time could be your guide: choose things which require no more than two days of subsequent r and r. Practise long passing/shooting with a mate every other day for a week (leg strength); then play football tennis for a week (mobility, agility, basic endurance).

you

I have been hobbling around since sunday squash, 'cracking' sport.

Whilst you're talking about push-ups, I had a a fitness consultation last night, really helpful ( just wanted new ideas and to get out of my rut ) - ended up doing push ups on medicine balls - quality way to make em harder and better for your core bits.

Barebones, its a crap thing to say but you need to stretch your legs a bit, I had strong as an ox legs for years, no problems what-so-ever...... then all of a sudden after just 1 hours biking id get cramp in both quads.... stretching has put the problem off but it's basically down to years of over-tightening certain muscles and various others having to compensate. In the words of Baz Luhrman - "stretch".....

grizzleb

Cramp can result from a lack of salt in your diet too, so make sure you get a back of crisps in you around when you exercise.

you

grizzle - I knew about the salt thing, always guzzle copious isotonic concoctions, got to the point where by I was too full of it and still getting the cramp - always got it after the 2 hour mark or if the riding was particularly strenuous - -definitely more likely to be a bio-mechanical issue in my case. But yeah, most people drink plain water and could do with topping up salts after a while to avoid the cramping.

Core exercises going well. I can always do 40 press ups in one go, 50 on a good day. Now I balance on medicine balls when I do em, just about do 15....... takes a lot of effort to balance!

Woebot

Right someone please help me out here because i'm completely clueless when it comes to exercise.

The last few months i've been making a concerted effort to be healthier. Started playing football once a week for the last month or so, just having little 6-or-7-a-side games for a couple of hours with friends in the park. It's literally the only exercise I've done in about a year, since i last played fairly casual football, but i haven't actually regularly exercised properly since I was about 16 (ie a little over a decade ago), when I was playing football all the time. Despite being asthmatic and a smoker, I don't struggle too much with getting totally knackered; i guess because it's a casual game and i'm not running around full pelt the whole time - you can kind of stand around in defence for 5/10 minutes to have a bit of a breather. I'm certainly not puking on the touchline a la sickboy (though i came dangerously close the last time i played an 11-a-side game).

The thing is though, my legs are fucked! The first time I played I was badly aching for days afterwards, I don't think they had fully recovered by the time we came to play again the week after, and I ended up feeling like i'd strained loads of muscles in my left leg. Just played again last night and it was fucking agony. I could manage light jogging and stuff, but putting any power in my legs (mainly my left), eg sprinting or kicking the ball hard, was impossible. Striking the ball with any degree of power sent shooting pains right up my leg. And my left leg would just seize up whenever i set off into a sprint. This morning all the muscles and tendons and whatever they are around my left knee are killing me - i'm hobbling around and having to walk up and down stairs one step at a time and shit. Moving my left leg into certain positions is absolute agony and i've already almost fallen over twice today because of it. It's depressing and frustrating and kind of humiliating.

Is this normal? I try to do some light stretching and warming up and down etc when we play, but nobody else seems to suffer as much as I do - even though there's people playing, just as unfit as I am, who do precisely zero warming up or stretching. What can I do to stop this whole thing being such an ordeal? I don't want to, but I think i'm gonna have to give it a miss next week and give my leg some time to recover.

get a bike old boy

D

droid

If you have persistent cramp you should take magnesium pills. That or mix some salt in your water for cycling.