Status
Not open for further replies.

version

It was years before I realised this was a UK thing. I still think of it as American despite knowing it isn't.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Huge hit in the states too.

Anyone else used to watch Flava on channel 4 in the 90s? Think that's where I first heard that track and part of me thinks he did a slightly edited version where he's singing the word Flava in it exclusively for the show

sadmanbarty

nurturing the seeds. imbuing them wisdom. proper wholesome music.

when we were little they'd have these rappers come to school to teach us about crossing the road safely and doing your homework properly. but they were all light hearted and eager to please, none of them had the stoic righteousness of guru.

the intro is like if pattycakes was on a rapper:

"And no matter what we say our religion is
whether it's Islam, Christianity
Juddaism, Buddha-ism, Old School-ism or New School-ism
If we're not schooling the youth WITH wisdom
then the sins of the father will visit the children
And that's not keepin it real...
that's keepin it - WRONG"

I like that he talks about people's "draws"; that dennis the menace thing of underwear being this signifier of rebellion.

guru also says "sucker" a good decade after that was even remotely fashionable. he's bart simpson-edgy.

sadmanbarty

i'm a complete sucker for flower power and peace and love and all that. wide eyed sixties utopia. eat the stuff up. this song's in its own way that tradition. 'if i could bye the world a coke', 'if you're going to san francisco'.

the other part of course is something more vitriolic and embittered. emotionally this song's like a cross between sly stone's 'stand' and 'don't call me n***** whitey'.

"erica, what you like that slave name?!"

sufi

lala
someone commented:
aSingleDallasGuy
aSingleDallasGuy
1 year ago
I waited 2 years for this to come back on YouTube after it was axed. By far my favorite version!

it's true, me too.
maybe not such a nice guy, but this is a good version

sadmanbarty

The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

2 It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the Lord, and the excellency of our God.

3 Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees.

4 Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you.

5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.

6 Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.