10. You may not vote on this poll
  • AIN'T NOBODY

5 50.00%
  • i feel for youi

5 50.00%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: AIN'T NOBODY VERSUS I FEEL FUR YOU

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Protect your neck is let off the leash unrestrained strength and joy fun happiness shook ones pt2 is paranoia talking with your mouth almost closed tension suspicion

PYN sounds like the early 90s. Shook ones pt2 is something new and sounds a lot less dated.
    To me the Wu tang stuff particularly 36 chambers is sui generis, doesn't really sound like anything else did before or after.

The tempo is maybe what dates it just like illmatic

Would it be fair to put the responsibility for slowing things down on the west coast particularly Dre/g funk?

dj premier's muffled soul sample to lil jon diabolic lazer brass synths

I'm not sure even rza ever used samples quite like he did on 36 chambers again. Not to say that Cuban linx or liquid swords isn't up there. Just something about how choppy and structured some stuff on 36 chambers was.

I can only imagine what it was like when they first appeared

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    everything goes from lee perry to steely dan
    and another

dematerialisation is in part the story of the decline of the 70's soundworld, with the 90's being this very interesting point in which technology and this hazy soundworld were married.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

PYN is not a million miles away from other early 90s posse cuts like headbanger or what's the scenario

dematerialisation is in part the story of the decline of the 70's soundworld, with the 90's being this very interesting point in which technology and this hazy soundworld were married.
    Yeah absolutely. The 90s a very weird Interzone in that respect.

the neptunes and i guess timbaland are interesting because they steely dan-ify that sound world. they'll have acoustic drums and strings and whatever else but by that point they're clean and in their own growing chambers. nothing bleeding into each other. nothing murky or swampy.

And made accoustic sounds sound electronic.

A lot of 80s pop/rock had these (once considered) horrible fake drum sounds, loads of echo - and now some of that stuff sounds more modern, less dated, precisely because of its artificiality.

I've noticed that blue note records sound amazing. I'm not sure if this is how they made them but it seems like they recorded live performances in the studio. A lot of instrumental music you can tell it's been chopped up, multiple takes, etc. So it isn't really the sound of the real world. It's too perfect. You can tell maybe that these things aren't sharing the same space.

the 909 drum sounds is technology aping that kind of muffled, rugged sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I've noticed that blue note records sound amazing. I'm not sure if this is how they made them but it seems like they recorded live performances in the studio. A lot of instrumental music you can tell it's been chopped up, multiple takes, etc. So it isn't really the sound of the real world. It's too perfect. You can tell maybe that these things aren't sharing the same space.
    it's very stark comparing post-bop of the 60's to its 70's counterpart:

the neptunes and i guess timbaland are interesting because they steely dan-ify that sound world. they'll have acoustic drums and strings and whatever else but by that point they're clean and in their own growing chambers. nothing bleeding into each other. nothing murky or swampy.
    I remember Uptown Funk sounded like it was made on a modern set of synths or something, it was so clean. Was it an interpolation? Or was the Steely Dan original just so clean?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: