sufi

lala
we was robbed

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/orglondonelectionsreport.pdf

1050 On count day, efforts towards transparency around the recording of valid votes were nothing more than a pretence: hundreds of screens were set up by the scanners to show almost meaningless data to observers, party candidates and agents, while officials admit that underneath the system was likely to be recording blank ballots as valid votes.
Several observers reported "ghost ballots" that were stuck in the system but could not be located, which caused delays to the declaration and transmission of results. Further delays were caused in at least one constituency, where discrepancies at the verification stage appeared to approach the margin of the winning candidate, causing unease among candidates and party agents. The CRO attempted to calm the situation, stating that "This has been verified by KPMG, so it will add up". One candidate asked "So we have to take it on trust…?‖, to which the CRO replied ―Well, it‘s double-scanning and…<shrug>‖.
One agent commented to ORG observers: ―There are half a dozen votes being entered from this box and there‘s nobody here to see. He could have entered anything he liked. If that‘s going on at tables up and down here, then anything could be happening. With a manual count, you are nearer the table, and you can see that ballots are properly counted as they are put into candidate trays. It‘s very clear.‖
because officials were unable to record likely causes of ballot box variance, this check has been obscured. In its place is a dataset that is open to question, with potentially as many as 41,000 ballots unaccounted for and the only justification being human error at any one or more of at least three stages in the election administration process.
seals had been misapplied to ballot boxes so that the boxes could have been opened from the bottom leaving the seals applied to the tops intact. It is of significant concern that seals were already detached before the count began.
Family voting and other instances of invasion of voter privacy were frequently reported by observers. One observer reports being told by a Presiding Officer that family voting was ―endemic for Continentals and Indians. It‘s part of their culture. I can‘t stop it, so why fight it?‖. ORG is shocked by this attitude.

conclusion

1080 ORG concludes that there is insufficient evidence available to independent observers to state reliably whether the results declared are an accurate representation of the intentions of voters in the May 2008 London elections.
:eek:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What do they mean by 'family voting' - is it just families all voting for the same candidate?

john eden

male pale and stale
I think it would be like the Dad taking all the ballots to the polling station on behalf of the rest of the family members - the implication being he decides how they vote and possibly completes their papers for them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's not.

Seems like they couldn't be arsed to enforce it tho.

Bah, no doubt they were just being 'culturally sensitive'. What next people - muslims invading the queen?!? The bbc is funding peadophiles with YOU'RE money. You couldnt make it up!!

moral majority, eu_superstate

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
Bah! Who the hell lives in Soho, anyway? Surely the whole point of the place is that it's a pit of bohemian decadence (or a playground for loud, catty, drunk gay men, at any rate)?

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

i missed the chat about this. theres a woman who has a COUNCIL HOUSE on berwick st who is spearheading the campaign. she was filming us outside the endurance the other week. reminds me of all the idiots who have moved to manchester city centre because of falling rents/ house prices and complain about the fact theres noise and clubs.

crackerjack

i missed the chat about this. theres a woman who has a COUNCIL HOUSE on berwick st who is spearheading the campaign. she was filming us outside the endurance the other week. reminds me of all the idiots who have moved to manchester city centre because of falling rents/ house prices and complain about the fact theres noise and clubs.

Of course there should be nothing but delis, boutiques and a spot of carefully controlled alfresco drinking in strictly designated areas.

What happened to Night & Day? Did it close?

straight

wings cru
Of course there should be nothing but delis, boutiques and a spot of carefully controlled alfresco drinking in strictly designated areas.

What happened to Night & Day? Did it close?

who gives a rats ass? hasnt been a good band on there in about 3 years. and its £3 for a can of guinness. pretty sure they are still open

Last edited:
D

droid

Monday 30 March 2009

In 1990, Boris Johnson received an infamous phone call from his friend from Eton and Oxford, Darius Guppy. Dispatches has acquired a recording of the conversation, which until now has never been broadcast. It is a recording that suggests Boris was not only willing to break the rules - but even to break the law.

Launch the pop-up player to listen to excerpts from the conversation.

At the time of the phone call, Boris was working for the Daily Telegraph in Brussels - having previously been sacked by the Times for making up quotes.

Guppy, who was later jailed for fraud, was angry at a News Of The World journalist and wanted to have him attacked. Having contacted some heavies, Guppy had asked Boris to use his journalistic contacts to find the reporter.

While Boris appears to do little to deter Guppy during the phone call, he is clearly concerned that the journalist in question will not be too badly beaten up. He also expresses concern about covering his tracks.

Boris has claimed that Guppy was 'in cloud cuckoo land' at the time and that he never did - nor intended to - follow through his offer of help. The tape shows Boris was willing to co-operate nonetheless.

Despite Guppy's apparent plans, the journalist was never beaten up.

When asked to comment on the recording, Boris Johnson's spokesman told Dispatches: 'This was a colourful story from almost two decades ago. It was of little or no consequence back then - and has no relevance whatsoever now.'

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/...he-trouble-with-boris-darius-guppy-phone-call

john eden

male pale and stale
I thought the programme was quite shit, what I saw of it.

Someone Boris was at school with has some impotent violent fantasy about a tabloid journalist (and presumably recorded the phone call himself to fit his mate up later).

One of his advisors may have been advised that it was safe to move some people into council housing with asbestos in it (which was true of the place I live when I moved in and thousands of other flats in London).

Rosie Boycott might have been talking out of her arse when discussing green roofs.

Boris changed his mind about planning application for 4 tower blocks in Waterloo.

Business as usual.

polystyle

Boris got himself into situation being interviewed by Katie Currick ( sp ) on CBS last night.
In response to questions about economic downturn' , Boris turned to the city scape laid out below him and pointed out the many cranes on the skyline.
Katie came back pointing out that almost none of them were actually moving ...
Might have been bad timing, an odd slow down moment , but didn't look good as end of the piece !.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
hah!

i might have mentioned this on the board earlier, but Boris, he nearly ran me down once on his bike, the top end of Whitehall, years ago, and he was just whizzing through on a light and i jumped back onto the pavement as he flew back. "alright Boris!" i called out in cheerful surprise; "'ullo" he wailed back as he rode down toward the river..