Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Insatiable bloodlust.

I mean it was more violent than I expected. But of course, anyone who dies is more or less an asshole.

I guess you could say the same for taxi driver. But taxi driver REMAINS disturbing.

It's too much to expect a WB Batman spinoff to be taxi driver I suppose. But if so, why pretend to be that?

luka

Not cos you're old just cos he's a shit English comedian whose career ended about 15 years ago

sadmanbarty

I think leo’s in a good place at the moment. He got a promotion or booked a holiday or something.

Conversely he might be having a terrible time and he’s come here for reprieve.

poetix

we murder to dissect
The film is supposedly dangerous on account of the catharsis this retaliatory explosion offers, to those in the audience who might similarly feel abandoned, trodden on, and inclined to do something gratifyingly violent about it. It violates the taboo which guards the moral incoherence of all American stories about supervillains: the correlate of the villain’s motiveless malignancy is the fundamental innocence of society, its right to continue as it is. Only an evil originating outside of that society can possibly explain the desire to harm it. But this fantasy of innocence is bound to collide with the gothic underpinnings of Batman’s moral universe: Gotham is a city of endemic corruption and decay, and its villains are endogenous, home-grown, expressions of a universal sickness.

https://thelastinstance.com/posts/oedipus_rekt_ii/

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I am strongly biased in favor of it cos the director of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hated:_GG_Allin_and_the_Murder_Junkies did it

Which I just learned recently much to my surprise. Never got mentioned anywhere in the MMS.

Not seen this but could be an instructive parallel here. "Joker"'s Joker is a sort of nihilistic, violent punk performer.

I will say this - the images from 'Joker' have been popping up in my mind's eye since I saw it. The colour palette. Pheonix's makeup caked face and skeletal body.

Still don't think there's that much going on under the surface, though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can't really talk about what was probably the worst bit in it without "spoiling" it. Though ironically it's a "twist" moment which is totally unsurprising.

luka

The first time I ever met baboon he spent the entire time agonising about whether or not Django Unchained was a deplorably racist film only, right at the end of the night, to provide the punchline: he hadn't watched it!

It was hilarious!

firefinga

The first time I ever met baboon he spent the entire time agonising about whether or not Django Unchained was a deplorably racist film only, right at the end of the night, to provide the punchline: he hadn't watched it!

It was hilarious!

I have been writing music reviews for a music mag for a while and reviewd several releases without listening to them. i gotta admit though, I never mentioned the actual music in those.