Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cookbooks

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    That's true.

My most used books tend to be basically collections of recipes, albeit often with some sort of unifying theme or philosophy, some context and so on. So I use Meera Sodha's Fresh India a lot, and Sirocco by Sabrina Ghayour. Also Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cooking by Arto Der Haroutunian (which is a bit old and doesn't look much but is actually fantastic) and Silk Road Cooking by Najmieh Batmanglij. Oh and the inevitable Every Grain of Rice by Fuschia Dunlop and Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi.

The Flavour Thesaurus and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat are nice for general principles. And McGee. And Philip Harben's Grammar of Cookery, which is a sort of proto-McGee.

I don't really have anything that cheffy, though. I'd kind of be interested to get into something more contemporary but I've also got a vegetarian partner, so the options are kind of limited for anything that I'd actually want to cook from.
    I thought the spicing in Fresh India was a bit disappointing? I got it out the library so maybe I'm wrong here, but it seemed to be the same spicings mostly?

I would welcome vegetarian cookbooks recommmendations for aforementioned partner reasons. I'll check out the one you mentioned.

Great podcast with Fuschia Dunlop here: https://conversationswithtyler.com/e...hsia-dunlop-2/

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Surely "sourcing" it in sufficient quantities to cook with would be tough? Unless you had all the male guests induldge in some kitchen based bukkake?
    There's this too.

Semenology - The Semen Bartender's Handbook

This is the ultimate handbook for mixologists looking for ingredients that go beyond exotic fruit juices and rare spirits. Driven by a commitment and passion for the freshly harvested ingredient, Semenology pushes the limits of classic bartending. Semen is often freshly available behind most bar counters and adds a personal touch to any cocktail. The connoisseur will appreciate learning how to mix selected spirits to enhance the delicate flavors of semen. The book provides useful tips that cover every detail of Semenology, from mixing and presentation to harvesting and storage advice.

17703289.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I was more or less pissing cum.

A few of my friends who don't read much otherwise have loads of cookbooks on display in their lounges, or kitchen cum lounges. Proudly on display, like they are classics.

Rarely actually cook from them, cos it's all such a ballache.

I think cookbooks are an aspirational signifier.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    cum lounges.
    Semenology

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I thought the spicing in Fresh India was a bit disappointing? I got it out the library so maybe I'm wrong here, but it seemed to be the same spicings mostly?
    Since I cooked from it tonight... I mean yeah, I think there's a reasonable variety but it's not a deep dive into the subtle and ancient arts of Indian spicing. What I like about it is that it's got quite a lot of variety in the ways that dishes are put together, where a lot of Indian-centred books that I've used previously have tended to stick fairly solidly to fries, braises and stews.

For a preposterously big stack of Indian veggie stuff, have you seen Veg Recipes of India online?
    https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/
    It seems to be basically the work of one Indian woman, it's bafflingly huge - it claims to have 1800 recipes amassed over about ten years - but I think that everything I've tried from it so far has been good.