Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Roadmanbarty's Top 20 Drills

Mistersloane said a really clever thing on there when I was going on about the lyrics and their heavy use of strings of percussive monosyllables he said it was probably to do with writing on a phone screen. I think he's right.

Ah shit that's genius
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

You probably read it at the time but cos skunk has given you premature onset Alzheimer's you forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I think road rap/drill HAS been criticised for just being a knock-off of US trap/drill. What has happened though is that it's evolved to become a distinctive sound (albeit highly derivative of US rap - Barty will disagree I suppose) - the MCs have a definite grime influence, as well as their own slang etc.

Post dubstep was a coalescing of all these different influences. Which made it a bit tepid and half-baked. Also it rarely if ever managed to transcend those infleunces.

UK drill is definitely open to all manner of criticisms but it has a certain purity that a "scene" like post dubstep lacked. And it's produced tunes that I'd argue are as strong as stuff that Chicago and Atlanta has produced.

Does UK drill really transcend its US influences? I think it would if it rooted its percussion in grime, but it doesn't, only its beat structure to an extent. blackdown called the basslines a kind of darkside acid the other month, which was the most preposterous old man tryna catch up with the yout ting i had ever heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    I think post-dubstep was seen as beyond the pale for its blatant involvement of students?

As said, I both get the 'too samey' criticism and I don't. Part of the charm of, say, rave, is that all the core elements are present and correct in a high percentage of tunes. That said, another part of its charm is that some tunes go rogue
    kinda yeah. though this is the poptimist reading of rave, it doesn't get at its morph-beat element, which i tried to get at with my list.

In Morphing Culture 1, we addressed the need for more interesting soundscapes within the rave format. After a re-summary of the ideas, I will present some morph-gems that I have inadvertedly stumbled on over the years. In addition, I would like to invite readers to keep adding to this list of “kinda-reviews” in an effort to further the scope of the music – beyond the dimensions of my un-humble opinions.
    What we are slacking toward here in the realm of Morph is a basic premise that, what with all the sounds out there in the universe, and the technology to play around with them, it just makes sense to go beyond the traditional realms of dance music in order to satisfy the constant need for sounds that address our present and future. Now, after a particularly invigorating run-on sentence, I’m really pumped to get started – but wait! Let’s just say this first… Credit where due, and more to follow…
    …The original Hip Hop djs were seminal morphers. I direct your attention to The movie “WildStyle” where Grandmaster Flash, courtesy of the 3 turntables in his kitchen, collages found sounds into an inspirational minimal alien dopescape. Quick cut to the early industrialists, pre-sequencer, driving bull-dozers back and forth on stage for optimum bass. Jumble break to the best part of every song – that jet engine take-off, that good ole football crowd noise, the explosion at the beginning of every KISS live album, that nutty pre-acid house baleric movement, Kraftwerks “Pocket Calculator”, Gongs, lasers, blah blah blah – how often do you wish the musicians would just give it up and just make a whole song out of all those kool sounds? If you have little tolerance for traditional music, the Morph Beat is for you!

https://datacide-magazine.com/in-search-of-morph/
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Depends what elements you're inclined to foreground really. If you read the never ending debates on YouTube and Twitter the Americans say it's all DJ L beats and any spin that's been put on that basic template is so small as to be negligible whereas English people say it's it's own thing. Funny thing is the Dutch are on it too and have been for a while. Yamica is Dutch for instance.

Ah shit that's genius
    Also I think it's got roots in the bibbidy bibbidy jungle/DNB MC rhythm (which of course went into grime too)

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Depends what elements you're inclined to foreground really. If you read the never ending debates on YouTube and Twitter the Americans say it's all DJ L beats and any spin that's been put on that basic template is so small as to be negligible whereas English people say it's it's own thing. Funny thing is the Dutch are on it too and have been for a while. Yamica is Dutch for instance.
    And anyway it isn't just beats is it?

I'm not saying it's some radically new thing but it has matured to reach a level where it's not just a pisspoor imitation of the US stuff

I like all the bickering I think it's funny

And anyway it isn't just beats is it?

I'm not saying it's some radically new thing but it has matured to reach a level where it's not just a pisspoor imitation of the US stuff
    Well this is what people argue about. It's not clear cut. As I say it depends what you choose to foreground.

It's interesting cos the MCing is going to be different inherently cos of the difference in language

And that in turn changes the beats

It must be the case, it simply must be

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I like all the bickering I think it's funny

what's the tune at 1.43 "road rap" tune

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Think that's an old Slackk favourite before he fell out of love with the scene.