Thread: Veggie Burgers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Veggie Burgers

I kept reading all this stuff about this new wave or super realistic veggie burgers. I even read the head of some kind of meat promotion board in the US saying "We're in trouble here boys" (or words to that effect) which made me sit up and take notice. I understand that Tesco has some that are supposed to be really good but no Tesco here so haven't tried those yet. Then I saw one of my friends bigging up the new Rebel Whopper at Burger King and they do have BK here so we hunted one down today and finally tried it...

20200114_183518.jpg

20200114_183641.jpg

... and, the thing is, it was ok. I was expecting more from what I'd read, I couldn't really taste the "burger" itself, it was overwhelmed by all the other stuff in a whopper - maybe that's always the case though, it's been five years since I ate in BK I reckon. Texture was ok I guess, felt like a fairly bottom of the range burger. My girlfriend said it was actively unpleasant which was a worse review than I gave although I think there was a slightly different taste in there somewhere that I could have done without.
    Anyone got any thoughts on this? Are they healthy and good for the planet anyway? I really don't know to be honest.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 14-01-2020 at 06:46 PM.

superiority burger in nyc has the best one, but you have to come to nyc.

my wife doesn't eat meat and is actually kind of repulsed by veg burgers that try to emulate the taste and texture of meat. she prefers proper veg burgers that are more obviously/noticeably plant-based. the ones at McDonald's and BK are aimed at meat eaters who want to (occasionally) appear healthy.

in short: I don't mind them but don't go out of my way for one.

There's some Monbiot article doing the rounds atm about lab-grown food being on the verge of 'destroying' farming and saving the planet - https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-save-planet

Yeah I agree, Liza said that when she was vegetarian she didn't want to eat meat substitutes, just vegetable stuff.
    For me though, if there was something that looked and tasted just like meat and had the same texture... basically was the same except it was less harmful to the world and it didn't necessitate killing a cow, and if it cost the same price... well you'd have to be a bit of a twunt to insist on the authentic one wouldn't you?
    I do think fake meat lends itself well to burgers, mince, kebabs, sausages etc but how is it going to work with steak or lamb chops or whatever? Are they gonna make fake bone and fat to go in, will it eventually have all the different tastes and textures in all the different parts that chefs and butchers bang on about - or will it diverge from actual meat (as with e-cigarettes or the US version of The Office) and ultimately have its own universe of flavours and types that is completely different from the meat it copied at the beginning? Or will it just die a slow but painful death?
    I imagine a lot of people will be watching this Burger King thing very carefully to see how it sells? Is each one cheaper to produce do you know? I was surprised that they didn't offer a veggie version of everything on the menu seeing as they've created the burger itself but I guess that's not how their model works. Though I reckon if it does take off that won't be far away.

Love them - I was never a huge fan of trad beef burgers though, so there's nothing I'm missing..(lamb and chicken are different). Leon's is pretty decent, and I thought Temple of Seitan in London was excellent too.

I wouldn't trust Burger King to do anything that tastes like food. But it's a sign of the times that they even have a veggie burger.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 14-01-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Love them - I was never a huge fan of trad beef burgers though, so there's nothing I'm missing..(lamb and chicken are different). Leon's is pretty decent, and I thought Temple of Seitan in London was excellent too.

I wouldn't trust Burger King to do anything that tastes like food. But it's a sign of the times that they even have a veggie burger.
    Burger King were one of the first to do a veggie burger back in the early '90s. Wimpey was the first. Please refer back to the original veggie burger thread

https://www.dissensus.com/showthread...ht=Shake+shack

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Burger King were one of the first to do a veggie burger back in the early '90s. Wimpey was the first. Please refer back to the original veggie burger thread

https://www.dissensus.com/showthread...ht=Shake+shack
    But vegetarianism was only invented in 2004.

Bit like vinyl LPs with download codes. I really can't see the point of 'fake meat'.

The BK Spicy Beanburger was cheap and lush, I spent six months just living on that and Guinness...why ditch the classics?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    my wife doesn't eat meat and is actually kind of repulsed by veg burgers that try to emulate the taste and texture of meat.
    I know a fair few people who don't eat meat and this is a point of contention. Some of them just can't mentally separate eating something that has most of the qualities of meat and actually eating meat and some of them are all for it as they enjoy it and are only meat-free because of where it comes from.

I was a bit weirded out by the plant-based thing that bleeds like real meat. I can picture some Ballardesque future where people end up just recreating and killing plant-based cows in some mad quest for authenticity.

Absolutely, and fair enough it got me to go there out of curiousity for the first time in a long time. I've nothing against BK, I just never seem to see them when I'm starving for that kind of junk I guess, but I searched this one out (well, at least we checked if we could pass one on the way home) purely to try this thing.

Last time I had BK, the spray on 'grilled' taste (whatever the hell it is) didn't leave for hours...gross. Never again. And I love McDonalds.

I like McDonalds too I'm afraid to say. I had it in my head that I liked BK better but now I have to revise that opinion.

I've had a BK burger once in my life and all I remember is thinking it tasted like a 'burnt supermarket burger'.