MJ vs. Prince

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sadmanbarty

i didn't say those things, but luke said i did so that he could then complement himself and say he was insightful.

it is however insightful.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Listen to other QJ productions from that era (eg George Benson Give md the night) and all of a sudden it sounds like QJ feat MJ.

Also Rod Temperton, Cleethorpes-born genius (who wrote 'Give me the night' AND 'Rock with you')

I actually made a playlist of Temperton-penned songs when he died. It has 0 followers.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Presumably Timbaland v Neptunes has already come up, probably the duel in which I would find it most impossible to take a side. Alice Coltrane v John Coltrane?

Presumably also someone has already linked to k-punk's blog on the "synthetic panther-sheen" of Billie Jean. http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/2009_06.html Great writing, with the added meta-bonus of a controversial nod to the sonic architecture of "I Feel for You"

luka

I remember he wrote a book or contributed to a book on Jackson. I never saw a copy though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Neptunes vs Timbaland is another good one. Personally speaking I'd be torn between Timbaland's outright singular genius and the Neptunes just making so many amazing pop tunes that I love. (I'd undoubtedly vote Neptunes.)

luka

Presumably Timbaland v Neptunes has already come up, probably the duel in which I would find it most impossible to take a side. Alice Coltrane v John Coltrane?

Presumably also someone has already linked to k-punk's blog on the "synthetic panther-sheen" of Billie Jean. http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/2009_06.html Great writing, with the added meta-bonus of a controversial nod to the sonic architecture of "I Feel for You"

"A new form of control emerged when shopping malls, VHS videos, charity records and TV commercials became interchangable aspects of the same commodity-media landscape: consensual sentimentality as videodrome. Well, it was new then, all that, but it's very old now, and scarcely visible to us any more now that we have grown habituated to living inside it. It was capitalist realism as entertainment, and we all bought to it, whether we liked it or not:"

I love these kind of massive sweeping claims

luka

"America used to dominate us like a Lee Marvin sadist: it had no need of running interference from the emotions. Now it's gotten this "Don't you see I have to, because it was done to me" rap, and wants our wounded puppy tears. It wants pity, not awe. It used to be that you kept it zipped: now we have a "feminised" space of confession. It used to be that America's crucified heroes stalked Death Valleys and New Frontiers. Now they work in electronic space, blip time, sealed inside the soundbite, the video and the Vanity Fair cover."

More from baboons kpunk link

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Baboon have you talked about why you voted prince? Your reasoning

I haven't...

It was a close thing for me. MJ was an omnipresent figure in my 80s pop childhood, though it was Bad rather than Thriller that provided the backdrop (I grew up in a household where pop was virtually verboten until 1987, when I rebelled and fell in love with it). But I never understood Prince - my best friend was a Prince fanatic as a teenager, and used to play me Sign o The Times on rotation to uncomprehending stares. Something too artificial and distanced about it, even for someone who loves artifice in pop.

But as an adult I've come to find something incredibly poignant about that distance, and that's totally affected the way I've responded to his music. Once a complete cynic, I've become a believer.

luka

It's intriguing isn't it, that distance and artificiality. Version, Corpsey, Barty, have all said it represents a barrier they just can't get over. Prevents any connection at all. But in that thread we did about the '80s this was a recurring theme, this distance and this artificiality and the sadness of it, throughout the gamut of popular music.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Neptunes vs Timbaland is another good one. Personally speaking I'd be torn between Timbaland's outright singular genius and the Neptunes just making so many amazing pop tunes that I love. (I'd undoubtedly vote Neptunes.)

Is there any sense in which this divide reflects the Jackson/Prince divide in a more modern context? I can't quite work it out.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
My favourite Prince tune is probably

or

The best Prince tunes (so far as I'm aware) sound so quintessentially 80s. Whereas the best Jacko tunes sound quintessentially 70s (even if they actually came out in the 80s).