Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

The less fortunate are always fucked come what may. That's why they are the less fortunate. That's what it means.

luka

Your problem mixed biscuits is that you believe in science. You think a graph will tell you something meaningful about reality.

mixed_biscuits

There is an implicit statement that comes with much virtue-signalling, implying the speaker's higher social class and greater economic resources: the bien-pensant pro-lockdowners are not only claiming kindness but implying that they can afford inactivity, that their jobs will be there waiting for them, that they don't have to go to work anyway.

mixed_biscuits

There's a fair overlap with the goody-two-shoes school swot types who have been successfully trained to jump to any authority figure's tune and derive their self-worth from their standing in the establishment's estimation: 'Look how well I can follow your rules - can I have an A, teacher?'

luka

Well of course there is. And there's a corresponding reaction from people who have a teenagers conception of freedom and can't accept the idea of limits to action based around a notion of the common good or even the common will. The teenage individualist notion of freedom. You can't tell me what to do. Both these types of people exist, and in large numbers. But who cares.

luka

Lockdown is something most of us wanted to do, so we did it. And we had fun. Now we are bored and we want to riot. So now we will do a bit of that. Or have an illegal rave.

luka

You need to embrace change, biscuits. Enjoy things. Don't try and cling on to outdated notions. Relax, learn to let go. If they say mandatory vaccine I will go and hide in the hills with you. I will be in the guerilla vanguard don't worry. We won't go down without a fight.

luka

We can all see a potential dystopia beginning to coalesce as the old world breaks up. But at present everything is still to play for. Could well be the dawn of a golden age. Maybe with me as Priest-King.

luka

biscuits didnt want to 'debate me'. i was really getting into it. but he wouldnt engage. i hate it when that happens.

luka

ever since he was vigourosly advocating for the bell curve theory i've had my doubts about that lad. i've got an instinctive suspicion of anyone who is into graphs.

luka

"In 2005, GooGoosha appeared like a glazed apparition out of the gun-smoke of Andijan. Already a self-described poet and designer, Gulnara’s brief detour into music was an impressively mad move in a country famous for its extravagant progressive rock scene and exquisite devotion to the lute."

what is this perverse timeline we are living in where owen hatherly is published by penguin and oliver craner is not famous at all?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a fair overlap with the goody-two-shoes school swot types who have been successfully trained to jump to any authority figure's tune and derive their self-worth from their standing in the establishment's estimation: 'Look how well I can follow your rules - can I have an A, teacher?'
Well there's authority and then there's authority, isn't there? And "the establishment" is not monolithic. The authority of a professor of epidemiology derives from expertise and many years of hard work, while the authority of Boris Johnson derives from unearned privilege and the ability to act the part of a ruddy good chap.

Millions of people in this country are, to be blunt, anti-intellectual cap-doffers and forelock-tuggers who despise the former sort of authority and worship the latter sort. People who think "the elite" comprises anyone who's ever voluntarily read a book but who also adore toffs and royals.

Leo

Lockdown is something most of us wanted to do, so we did it. And we had fun. Now we are bored and we want to riot. So now we will do a bit of that. Or have an illegal rave.

with all due respect, this could be considered by many as a privileged perspective.

luka

thanks for the respect Leo but the poorest among us were on universal credit before this and theyre on it now.

luka

lots of people will have had a hard time. as idle rich pointed out the least fortunate among us always have the worst luck.

luka

in my view our number one priority should have been to make sure those people were taken care of. i said that at the start of this thing and i havent changed my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.