Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is starting to sound like an obsession, to be honest. I reckon you're having fantasies about cracking a whip over the sweat-soaked backs of a work gang of toiling slaves.

luka

unlike you i face up to the situation and take the hard decisions. we cant all close our eyes and pretend it isnt hapening. this is why i have started following Peter Hitchens on twitter.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that there is something to be said for trying it and then trying something else.... but in the UK they locked down late and then started clamouring to open up again straight away... I mean, did they really do lockdown properly enough to be able to claim that they tried it and it didn't work?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Usual anti-Swedish twaddle
I have to agree with Hitchens here... all through my life all I ever hear is anti-Swedish feeling. I'm thankful that someone has finally spoken out about this unacknowledged prejudice that runs all through British life like a slogan in a stick of rock.

mixed_biscuits

As the public are taken to have accepted the premise for lockdown, the government may feel emboldened to keep their current extraordinary powers until every last trace of the virus has disappeared - something that cannot be proven!

luka

I'll explain how a reasonable common sense person like me understands it. Science doesn't exist. We know that. You can't prove anything. But we hear rumours of a bad new disease, maybe from bats or from a lab that's killing people. China lockdown Wuhan. We don't really know if that has any effect. Few other places do the same experiment. We want to try it out too. It breaks up the usual routine. Gives a lot of us a chance to rest a bit, mellow out, think about things. The rationale behind it is one we can all understand. If you don't see no one they can't give you the lurgie. There's popular consent for it and it sounds like fun so we do it.

luka

Obviously we all know there probably won't be a miracle cure and that eventually we will have to come out of hiding for better or for worse but meantime we've had an adventure. Something has actually happened to break up the tedium.

mixed_biscuits

Yeah, but the problem is so many were still seeing people: millions had to work through it and most people live with other people (who get worse cases of the illness because they're indoors and in close proximity). The principal reason presented at the start - to avoid a catastrophic overburdening of the NHS - was the only good reason for it, given the horrible collateral damage...and that consideration was quickly shown to no longer apply (we passed our peak before the lockdown could have had any effect).

I have enjoyed some aspects of the change in circumstances - less work, time to dive back into my old music-making hobby - but consider it a personal net negative nonetheless. Trying hard to elicit the actual facts about all of this rather than take the media and government ejaculations at face value has been stressful.

luka

Well I think maybe you're just a bit of a sourpuss. Most of us have had the time of our lives. Normal life is boring so almost anything that puts it on hold is going to be good.

IdleRich

IdleRich
As the public are taken to have accepted the premise for lockdown, the government may feel emboldened to keep their current extraordinary powers until every last trace of the virus has disappeared - something that cannot be proven!
But they grabbed the emergency powers long before lock down didn't they? I mean lock down is a symptom not a cause of that.
This is what's interesting to me - apologies if I've said this before - that in Portugal they took the virus seriously and put emergency powers in place quite quickly, but these expire in two weeks and have to be voted again through parliament. They remember the dictatorship and are very cautious about this kind of thing.
In contrast, the UK said "Oh it's not gonna affect us" and then voted through some kinda emergency powers that will be in place for two years if called on.
The difference between both the actions and the rhetoric and also the approaches of the two countries is wide and doesn't make UK look good.

mixed_biscuits

A paranoid anti-Tory take on the whole situation is that they will use the crisis to sell off the country's assets (while pocketing some of the dough themselves), usher in austerity++ and just do whatever the hell they want - there's a lot of opportunity in chaos.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Let me say that more clearly. What I mean is, of course no government should be able to give themselves swingeing extra powers with no scrutiny and lasting for a long (indeterminate?) time.
But - even if they use those powers for a lockdwon - that's a separate debate to whether or not lockdown is the right thing to do.

luka

If the people want to lockdown, and we did all want to, because, as I explained already it sounded like fun, then I think the government is right to give us what we want.

There's lots of opportunity in chaos but there would have been chaos without a lockdown too. It's not like life would have gone on as normal. Like you can just ignore it and it goes away.

luka

What we've learned from this is that even seeing our so called friends is work and having an excuse not to is manna from heaven. Thank god I don't have to go to some shit pub and drink 12 pints and lose my bank card on the way home. Thank god I can just do my own thing with no one pestering me.

mixed_biscuits

People wanted lockdown due to a misapprehension of the scale of the problem; the government knew that this was a misapprehension as they had SAGE telling them to do a bit of this, a bit of that...not the whole shebang.

I do think a populist government style has its merits, but it relies on having an at least halfway trustworthy press and on government making some sort of case for what they think is best (as they are privy to more info than we are). Then again, the public should have known this and applied a corrective to the info that was being blared at them.

There would have been some chaos, albeit less.

Status
Not open for further replies.